Quantcast

1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 Gas In Oil

oldcomet

Hello Riders

Well This is my issue I bought a used 500 sportsman in pretty good shape all new u joints & axles & tires No damage on the bike from what I could see Got the bike home took it for a little rip up the street Thought the the steering was little crazy Called the guy back he said its just the tires are very overaggressive on pavement Checked into things it needed new tie rod ends no problem replaced them with ease So here is the issue I always turn the gas off on any bike I have owned So The gas is off and I gas smell gas I check the bottom of the carb & its dripping gas from the bottom of the bowl No problem took out the drain screw cleaned it up gave carb shot of carb cleaner in the screw hole re tightened it up leak was gone The next day I see gas on the shop floor Well I Start looking around & I find more gas on top of the skid plate Did some reading on the net and found out that The needle & seat could be gone in the carb First I check to see if there was gas in the oil Wow was there ever so I drained the oil took filter off No problems cleaned the screen up on the oil tank So here is the problem I cant for the life of me find the other plug to get the cup of oil out of the crank case Ive looked every where So This is what I did Pulled the spark plug cap off and used the pull cord to pump the rest of the oil and gas out of the crank case seemed to work ok I also tested the gas shut off valve Its leaking past when shut off so I think this is what My problem is I also have ordered a complete carb kit & will rebuild the carb on my own Does anyone know where I could get the right manual that would tell me where the other drain plug is on a 1998 Polaris 500 sportsman I have one on line manual from 1996 up to 2002 but it shows the 2nd drain plug below the pull cord right beside the anti freeze drain Its not there on my bike LOL Ive looked 52 ways to sunday Does anyone have any tips on what I should do after I refill the bike with oil to insure I get all the gas out of the oil system I"m worried about screwing up the piston and bearings I also found the air box full of gas So much it rotted the brand new filter off I just put on Sorry for the long rant Like my names says I"m and Old Comet & I need some help Thanks everyone for your time

i have three service manuals and your welcome to them. 1996 - 1998 POLARIS service manual < this is supposed to cover all, 1996 - 2003 Polaris Sportsman Xplorer 500 service manual < might be the one you have, 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 service manual < maybe try a '97?

just go here : www.yousendit.com

login : [email protected]

pass : romy1961

after you login, just click the folders icon and go into the polaris folder. hope this helps ...

Hello Bud I went there No polaris listed Just KTM Honda Kawasaki Suzki & Can am Huh Dont see Polaris anywhere kind like the 2nd drain plug on my bike cant find it LOL Thanks for your help can you reload them because there not there thanks oldcomet

I have heard of some riders flushing the engine with diesel but if you can't figure out how to drain it I would not recommend that. What I would recommend is get some cheap oil and do a few oil changes before you put the good oil in. Similar to if you got water in the oil. I think I was getting 4 quarts of oil at Wal-Mart for $12.

I have heard of some riders flushing the engine with diesel but if you can't figure out how to drain it I would not recommend that. What I would recommend is get some cheap oil and do a few oil changes before you put the good oil in. Similar to if you got water in the oil. I think I was getting 4 quarts of oil at Wal-Mart for $12.

Thanks I found the drain plug right in front of my eyes the whole time just needed to get under the bike more all is good Gas and oil is all out I have ordered a new carb kit and a new gas shut off valve What kind of oil is everyone using in there bike I was going to put bell ray oil back in but its pretty costly 10 bucks a litre I was told not to use car oil as it doesn't have the anti foaming agents needed to stop the foaming that happens in bikes Any help would be great

Thanks OLD COMET

if you were just going to flush the bike, just use the cheapest oil you can find at canadian tire or walmart, but put decent oil back in when youre sure it is flushed and ready to ride. i tend to stick to the manufacturers oils myself, but as long as you get an atv oil to your bikes spec, it is your decision.

valvoline is a good choice too.