Quantcast

2008 Artic Cat 400 4x4 Auto - Carb Problems

my cat only has 100miles on it and is in mint cond. since i bought it new in 2009 it has had what i believe to b a carb problem. going down a steep hill makes it want to stall. as soon as u r on level ground its fine.and at top speed it kinda acts like its starving for gas. u let off the throtel a bit n its fine. idels good starts good. hav taken it back to dealer several times. they eithor said it didnt do it or mayb bad gas. my friend says it sounds like the float level isnt rite. any advise would realy help.

i have a 2008 articcat 400 4x4 auto i bought new n 2009. it is in mint cond. only has 100 miles on it. my problem is when i go down a steap hill it trys to dye on me. as soon as i get on level ground its fine. and at full throtle it bogs down just a little. if i let up on the throtle just a bit its fine. starts great idles great. done this since it was new. had it back to dealer several times. they eithor said it didnt do it or acouple of times they said mayb bad gas.my friend told me it sounds like a float problem? any help or ideas would b great

Rob welcome to the forums.

I would start by draining the gas, cleaning the carb, and visually checking for air of vacuum leaks. I with today's gas I would not let it stand more than 2 weeks without an additive. Take the carb out and clean it either a jet could be obstructed, float sticking or the overflow on the bowl blocked. Check the intake boot and vacuum lines are secure. The down hill riding problem can be due to the engine breaking engaging and changing the idle of the engine.

I think cleaning the carb and new gas should solve the problem. Stop back and let us know how you are progressing.

I also merged both post so all of the replies can be in the same spot.

Edited by swampcat07
Merged Threads

thanks 4 repling. i hav drained fuel several times b4. and added octane boost per my dealer.the only thing i can think of is i had the quad 4 3days n it was leaking gas from the plastic tub on the carb. dealer said it was bad jet and replaced it?i have not taken carb off n cleaned it. but i will. i hav looked at hook ups n every thing looks new. thanks 4 the help Rob

I was guessing there may have been something obstructing the main jet. If the dealer worked on the carb and it is a carb problem I would take it back to them first. Sounds like the float was stuck and overflowing, did they say if they cleaned the carb when they replaced the jet? Only seems logical. Also they could have used the wrong size jet or put the carb back together wrong. (Slide, Clip, Diaphram, etc)

The other place I would check besides the carb is for an obstruction/problem in the air intake system. Mice Nest, Dirty Filter, Loose Connection, Open Airbox Lid.

thanks 4 your advise. the more i think about it. it nev had the slugish top end until after they said the replaced the jet thats akk they said. quad was only 3days old at the time they did that. they hav sinced closed down n its hard finding another dealer that will even talk to me since i didnt buy quad from them. go figure. il try some stuff u said n let u no. thanks again

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By newguy024
      Just got into ATV riding just last week, never had much money so i couldnt afford to buy anthing, so now at the age of 34 i just bought a 1987 suzuki quadrunner 300 for 500$ took it out a few times and what a rush of excitement to go through that first mudhole haha!
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By NZrider
      My king quad 700 runs rough when cold then won't start some times but not often when it's hot. And occasionally smoke's a lot when it's cold I'm guessing that's rings but I'm worried unless it's causing the other problems

All help is appreciated thanks
    • By utvboard
      2009 HONDA BIG RED
      Honda enters the MUV (multi-use vehicle) market with a side-by-side machine that leapfrogs the competition to set new standards in utility and recreation. With numerous automotive-based technologies, Big Red features a powerful 675cc OHV liquid-cooled PGM-fuel-injected single-cylinder engine and an automatic transmission with three selectable drive modes plus Reverse, front and rear independent double-wishbone suspension, a roomy cab featuring rubber-mounted bucket seats with adjustable backs, and a specially designed, highly durable, tilting cargo bed. A broad selection of Honda Genuine Accessories will also be offered.
      Big Red
      KEY FEATURES
      - Powerful OHV, liquid-cooled, PGM-fuel-injected 675cc, mid-engine design.
      - Automatic transmission with Reverse.
      2009 Honda Big Red in Camo
      - Three selectable drive modes.
      - Front and rear independent double-wishbone suspension for an impressively smooth comfortable ride.
      - Roomy cab and rubber mounted bucket seats with adjustable backs designed to comfortably fit a wide range of body types and reduce fatigue on long drives.
      Specially designed, high durability, tilting cargo bed
      - Specially designed, high durability, tilting cargo bed.
      - Wide variety of Honda Genuine Accessories.
      - Summer 2008 release. More information to come soon!
      Board Message - UTV Forum - Online UTV Community and UTV Forum
    • By bighoss
      i got my son new outlaw 50 a few weeks ago and we went rideing yesterday and while we were riding it died and it took me like 10 min to get started back and it died agen when we got close to truck so i pulled it back took the plug out it looked like it was drop in a bucket of gas took the air filter out and the ait box was full of gas also got home it started rite up today i started it it starter up but was blowing what look like water out of the exholst let it idel for a lil bit did not die but as soon as hit the gas and let off it will die what does that sound like i thnk i going to take it back to dealer and tell them to fix it as it is under warrenty but would like to know what it could be first