Quantcast

2000 Suzuki Quadrunner 500 - Funny Story

ashby

hey fellas new guy here, i just picked up my first wheeler ever, it a 2000 quad runner 500.... when pushing the starter button the starter would turn but not turn the engine over...so I was thinging it was like the one of the many automotive starters iv repaird that the bendex was not advanceing...as you guys prob already know it not like an automotive starter...... so the other day i pulled the startrer off the bike to see about getting it working...turns out the case the the starter gear come's out of is just empty, no flywheel gears or anything to be seen to connect starter gear to crank shaft.....

so my question is this, what do i need to get this working, i know im getting into the side of this motor to do the repair i'm just look for some thougth's...

thanx...

Edited by ashby
change title

it might have the de compression chamber, you have to draw the cord out, wait about 3 seconds still pulling with some pressure, and then rip it. i'm doing that too with my griz right now, and i know its not fun.

man that sucks there's no flywheel, i'm sure it should have one even without a starter for balance. or, maybe the previous owner wanted to gain some ponys ... all kidding aside, definately look into it and i'll see if i have a service manual for you ...

I think it's the same setup as my 2002. The starter shaft has a one way bearing on it. I'm not sure how it turns over the motor internally(gears and eventually finding the crank.) but it still starts the engine, Sounds like a bad one-way. ( similar too a bendix without a helical drive shaft.) Try cleaning out the one way with some carb cleaner and re-mount it. If it screaems like crazy, you need a new 1-way and a seal to keep the oil from the crankcase out of the starter housing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i'v since taken the crank case cover off and found the the shaft's that the two gears are suppos to sit on are just broken off gone and the gears are missing too, so it's clear that some one befor me pulled the cover off and remover the gears after the shafts broke that the gears spin on, it looks to me that those shafts the the gears spin on are a part of the crank case it self, i did a little looking arond and the crank case cover is only 2 to 3 hundred but the crank case it self is around a thousand..... so thats bad news for my old 500.... no way i can justify that much money and time to repair....good thing after i cleaned carb it starts first pull evertime!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ethie
      Hi All
      I have a 2012 Coleman 500 Outfitter that keeps fouling out the plug within 10-15 minutes 
      not sure where to start
    • By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By kiriyaaoi
      Hello everyone, I just picked up an 02 LT-F250F the other day and have been in the process of tearing it down to fix some stuff- one of which was the cylinder base gasket leaking like a sieve. Well, I know why that is now, and I also discovered that someone had been in there before. I didn't take pictures, but it looks like it was probably run low on oil at some point, the cam journals and the "bearings" (for lack of a better term) in the head and the valve cover are totally wiped out, very deep grooves.  From what I know it's very difficult to repair aluminum in this way, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

1. Have someone grind down the head and valve cover and fit actual bearings in since the aluminum is screwed, and have the cam ground down to match.  I have no idea what this would cost.
      2. Buy a replacement head+cam+valve cover.

#1 I was hoping someone might have some advice on, but #2 seems like it'll (probably) be the more cost effective option.  However I'm running into some difficulty, it seems like the 2001 and 2002 models specifically use a different head part number,  11100-19B10, instead of  11100-19B01 like for all earlier models.  What exactly is the difference between them? There are obviously far more of the earlier heads because it ran for over 10 years.  Are they actually interchangeable? I've also noticed there are heads from the LT250EF that has 4 valve heads but also otherwise look identical.  Would those work as well possibly?  I'd like to not have to drop $500 on machine work or new heads on a $1300 quad that I'm already putting a bunch of new parts on.  Oh, and it has a new piston and the cylinder itself looks pretty good too, as I said someone was in here before me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow.