Quantcast

1995 Yamaha Wolverine - Electrical Issues

Lil_Joe

I picked up my first quad last week. A 1995 Wolverine 4X4 350. It has issues, but I got it cheap (I hope!)

It runs and rides well. The issue is mostly wiring. Someone in its pervious life has buggered up the wiring.

I installed a new battery and ground cable, but I have to jump the selonoid to start it.

There are a few wire connections not connected. The start button feels as if there is no spring behind it. Lights do not work. The ignition is missing, I assume they had bypassed that with some creative wiring. :huh:

The question is: Should I locate a wiring harness and start from there? I am having trouble finding manuals, diagrams for the quad.

Just looking for direction at this point.

Joe

OK, I started working on this wiring issue. I installed a new key switch. Since the start button was shot, I installed a new handle switch. I removed all the "creative" wiring. Now, I have lights. The run switch will shut the engine off. BUT, the start button does not work.

I think (you guys chime in:) ) since the neutral light, reverse light and temp. light do not work, this may have an affect. My thought is if the neutral light is not on that maybe that is interrupting some circuit that allows the start button to work??

Confused, I am............

• 2 weeks later...

Update: After much tinkering, I have everything working now, except the start button. Reverse light, neutral light and oil temp light work.

Start button still not working, but the odd thing is when press the start button the oil temp light comes on. I assume that is not normal and something is crossed somewhere. According to the wiring diagram, evreything is right.

Any ideas?

Since your netural light is on, probably not the issue, but try holding the rear hand break when you start it. had an loose wire with mine, netrual ground, where it wouldnt start unless I held the brake even if it was in netrual, but the light wasnt on. Just a thought.

You should be able to trace the power with a multimeter from the switch to the starter pretty easily, just be glad its not a fuel air mixture issue.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

All wires under the console are correct according to the diagram.

When pressing the start button, no clicking or anything. I start it now by jumping the selonoid (sp?), so yes the starter works.

I will try the brake lever to see if that it.

Keep 'em coming! This is driving me nuts!