Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ShelbyGT660

1992 Yamaha Timberwolf - Smoking?

Noticed it this morning, Was -1 out, Started it with choke half way open, Fired right up second crank via electric starter. Shed was filling with not exhaust but oil/smoke, thought nothing of it at the time, Fast forward to later today, Started it up after washing it, And got a big puff of smoke from the bike, Checked the oil, Sure enough was down about half a quart, Opened air box, Oil sitting in the bottom of it (could have been from the prefilter though but there was an oilish trail from the intake tube which the breather connects to) Breather tube has milky white oil (I know it means water) Any ideas or help would be apreachiated, It has great compression which strikes me as odd considering its used half a quart of oil in about 5 hours run time (Have a hour meter)

Maybe one of tehe rings got stuck or you got some blow by. When was the last time you changed the oil? Did you use correct oil for that temperature?

What year is your ATV?

Its a 1992, I know for a fact its not the orig jug/rings as I know the previous owner, It just had a valve job done, its got 10W30 in it, Changed the oil 5 hours ago of run time

Only has one vent line off the crankcase, and it does not seem to have a valve so its constantly getting pressure out it, I have a feeling thats where some of the oil in the air box is coming from,

I noticed this as well on my 1990 Big Bear after full fluid change and filter cleaning. Before the oil change, zero smoke at start-up/idle.

Afterwards, smokes a bit on initial start but clears up after warmed up.

Kind attributing to the fact that maybe poor oil circulation due to very clogged oil filter in my case and age of the bike systems.

Planning on valve adjust but not sure that will make any difference in start up smoking. I'll be watching for additional tips too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By mywifeknowseverythin
      I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.
    • By Kaj Colum
      Pushing the start button the engine turns and will forever without starting. But if I use the kick start it will start with one or two kicks everytime, any idea as to what is going on. New good battery and coil, I'm ready to try anything. It's a great bike, but this is getting anoying. Thank you.
    • By Kaj Colum
      Have a Bayou 400. sometimes when I press the start button i hear the solenoid click but the starter does not engage. Here is the strange thing though, when that happens if I kick the kick start just once then press the start button starter engages normally. Any ideas?

• By Rich1028
      Hitting the Trail in the Morning.

Heading out to Leota Trails 
      It's the Wife's Birthday Weekend,and I asked Her what,or where she wanted to go,she said  she wanted to go riding trails!

• By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By crochet homemade
      I have bought a 1996 suzuki king quad 300 and I have noticed that it smokes but I have put oil in it and plenty of gas had to fix shifter bc the nuts and bolts came out somewhere. I have had to replace the wire for the starter but now when I try to start it it wont idle at all and when it does run it smokes really bad like a whitish blue I guess, and it likes to stall a lot. So anybody can help me out please and thank you

10000000_310855426253462_714534016610467840_n.mp4
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By Srx_Man
      Hey I own stock why Yfz 450 and I'm just looking to slap a turbocharger on it.. I was just wondering if they're pretty compatible with these machines it is the carburetored version Yfz 450. I have all the piping hook ups / kit that's threw HURON SPEED an i also have turbo lined up for it gt 12.. I was just wondering what else I need to make this work? I know i would need to up the Jets and stuff for starter but Is it just that simple or do I need blow off valves and like some time on regulator on it or so forth? Trying get ideal what i would need