Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

raptor1660

2001 Yamaha Raptor 660 - Need Help!!!

Hello I have a 01 raptor 660. was having problems withb it running like shit...so I through a new plug in it and noticedd there was a oil on it now it won't even fire up even push starting it...is it a cracked head, does it need rings, valeve guides..what is it I need some help before I start ordering parts thank you

Is a cracked head common with 01 raptor 660"s

Only if they over heat I`d go with OXY`s suggestion or pull the valve cover first and see if one of the gaskets if bad !!

Got it!!!, Didnt have enough compression made a leakdown tester and found out my intake valves were super tight...It has a hell of alot more compression now, But it doesnt want to crank like there isnt enough juice to do it, new starter? or better battery i have just a good old ace hard ware battery in it

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chase Cook
      Hi I just got an Polaris sportsman 500 4x4 ATV the other day. I got it real cheap but I started to go into it because it didn't have compression so I bought a new piston and ring kit for it and installed it, but now when I try to start it all it does is shoot fire out the exhaust or the intake of the carburetor. And a timing is top dead center.;I think I can't really tell another way if it is or not. when I put it together I made sure to piston was on top and the cam lobes where facing down where are the cam sprocket is facing up. It has gas and spark. It did start a couple minutes ago but it didn't stay running and now it won't start. Do you think the valve need to be adjusted more to close better?I'm fixing to try that out and if that don't work what is the problem? Also I made sure everything was together good and right and change the oil and changed out the radiator fluid.
    • By therealjohnsmith
      I just bought these in the fall as a pair and of course they were running awesome with no problems at that time.
      One of them now will only start with starting fluid. It runs great once it's started, but absolutely refuses to start without a squirt of the good stuff.  The other one starts just fine, but dies after it gets warm. The only way to keep it running is to keep the throttle up. It won't run at an idle, and keeping it running has the throttle too high to shift.  Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated!!!
      Thank you,
      John from Shelley, Idaho
    • By Ryan Hutton
      Hey guys i am new to this site. i have a quadmaster 500 and last year my brother in law had it out and brought it back. When we went to put it away it wont move now any suggestions i have the belt cover off now. With it jacked up it seem to take gear when its not running.
    • By basmn
      A friend has a 07 trx 400ex..the engine drain bolt housing has a couple of cracks where the drain bolt threads in and is leaking oil...a one had any luck sealing this area with JB weld or something similar ?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ajmboy
      This is more of an informational fix I wanted to share..
      My Grizzly has been getting harder and harder to shift this winter and today was completely stuck and I needed to plow the few inches that came down this morning. First thought...oh no, tranny...but it’s winter and maybe it’s iced up. I pulled off the plastic to see what was going on and indeed I did find the drain tube iced up. 
      I took the blow dryer out and de-iced it. Quick fix, I never really thought about the shifter drain tube icing up before, shifts like new!

FA04AC3B-4FB0-4764-AFD9-1492F5CC790B.MOV
    • By Matt Dyche
      Can anyone give me guidance on my issue. I have a 02 Grizzly 660 and replaced the wet clutch, primary shaft, one way bearing.  Today I was riding since I tested and was driving about 20-25 mph and all of a sudden the tires locked up, heard a screeching sound, and engine died.  Didn’t have a clue what was going on, decided to try and restart, engine turned over normal but engine hesitated slightly, started and had to assist with the throttle.  It seemed to do this for a minute then seemed to straighten out.  Got home, pull clutch cover and test drove to witness clutch operation and everything looks and sounds perfect.  Could not duplicate.  Please help. 
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      If we had a dollar for every time the question “Which is really faster, the 700 or the 450?” shows up in our inbox, mailbox, or voicemail, we’d be putting this magazine together from a bungalow on a barely inhabited tropical isle named Quadhama.
      http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1603755,00.html
    • By dglover1226
      I have a 01 raptor and recently had to bore it out to a 686 because it sucked in a bunch of sand. Now I have no torque or power in the first third of the throttle. I am hoping that someone else knows what is going on with it