Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

1989 Suzuki LT250s - No Start

X250sxman

I bought this 250s from a friend, (along with a sweet ATC 70), but I am having all kinds of trouble getting this thing to run.

I rebuilt the carb, have strong spark and it is getting fuel. Seems to have great compression. I was able to push start it once or twice but my neighbor couldn't keep it running and trying to push start it destroyed the teeth of of both sprockets. Best I can do with the kickstart is to get a backfire when I drip a little gas in the cylinder.

Anybody have a good link to a service manual? I think the next thing to do would be to check the timing?? Not sure how as I don't see any inspection plugs anywhere on the cases.

Any input/help is greatly appreciated.

Dream Car Giveaway

Thanks for the links!

I suspect the valves need adjusted and the timing may be off. I did have it started though(well my neighbor did when I was towing it behind my wheeler - but he kept accidentally letting go of the clutch while in gear and couldn't keep it running) and it seemed to revv up ok.

But now with the manuals I will have a little more guidance in getting the valves and timing set then I can go from there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By sandy
      What is wrong when the spark plug turns black?
    • By Ironworker709
      I recently got a great deal on a 2001 Big Bear 400 4x4.it sat in a barn for 2 years while the guy was in college,so it need carb work...got it to use around the property,not racing or anything crazy with it
      It runs GREAT and strong..no smoke or funny noises,just seems to have an issue at times ,when you hit the throttle it want's to die ,most of the time it runs strong.
      So am debating a rebuild kit or new oem carb...i got to looking around really good yesterday and found this broke off..( the bent tube where the pencil is pointing).... is this a part that comes with a new carb?..if not,,where can i get the part?
      I found a diagram online but it does not show the bent tube with a nut on it but says it a "Starter set" in the diagram(Number 21 in the diagram)
      I checked the petcock and it is getting plenty of fuel flow..but it has the common drip leak..so i am ordering a new one,..was going to get the seal kit but for the price it is about the same price as a whole new petcock
      Just trying to figure out where i can get this part for repair

• By VikingTrad3r
      I have an 86 yfm250 (moto4 250) i picked up. 

It bogs and pops a bit out the tailpipe if you can even get it higher up in the rpm. It is pretty gutless. I have other 250’s (timberwolves) and its ultra gutless compared to them. 
      It has an aftermarket carb on it that has a “W” on it  Its not a mikuni but it looks close  
      i figured jetting was off at the high end. 
      i had a mimuni that was very crusty, swapped the main jet into the W carb, and the needle, which was set on low slot 4 so left it there.  

it actually ran much better, and cured what i thought was a problem caused by a lean condition from the W carbs main jet being too restricted when i compared to the factory mikuni  
      I had it out and was enjoying the upper rpms that i couldnt reach before without bog.  at wot it would fall on its face  low top speed.  
      after getting it hot, it would actually refuse to start after dying.

back to the drawing board.

when i first got it i adjusted the valves. So i retraced my work and thought maybe id overtightened. double checked, nope all good.  .005 exh , .003 intake, check.
      So i checked the compression. 
      here is the trickyness. help me understand this.  I am at 3500ft asl  in calgary canada  

-  initiate test, it goes to 75psi right away. this is low. Even at my elevation im thinking 110psi minimum  
      but....this thing starts no problem. even -20c it starts. makes no sense to me. so i press the starter again and it goes to 85. Then i press it again and no change. Then i turn over again and it jumps to 95. Then again...no change. Then again and it goes to 115.  finally finishes at 120 and i cannot get it to go any higher than this. 

ive repeated this multiple times. 

i press and hold the starter...it will max at 75. Then a series of maybe 10 more quick turnovers from the starter and compression inches up to 120psi. 

So, i think the low compression explains the low top end, and even the backfiring out the exhaust when hot. The exhaust is rich enough (incomplete combustion in chamber) and to ignite in the muffler. 
      it gets worse when hotter. 

makes me think i have a crack, or something that is low down on the cylinder wall. When the piston stops just above it on the upstroke, and i then turn it over again, it adds pressure to my tester reading. 

thoughts?
    • By AndrewUK
      I'm fitting a new carb on my King Quad LTF300. From China. Only one I could find in UK. I think it should have 2 vacuum ports.
      The vacuum port for the petcock is silver coloured. I can feel the pulsing vacuum. Putting the tube to the petcock there operates the petcock100% perfectly.
      I can't identify the vacuum port for the fuel pump. The new carb is identical to the old EXCEPT that in what I think is the 2nd old fuel vacuum position is a brass upright port with a very small hole. When running, there is no vacuum I can feel and putting the fuel pump vacuum line there does not give a decent fuel flow - only a small trickle.
      Is this the fuel pump vacuum port - see photo?
      The carb came with a silver coloured screw-ended 1.5 inch long loose port in the box. See photo. Is it intended that you unscrew the brass port somehow and put in the silver one?
      I'd really appreciate your help At the moment I can only do 10mph in a stuttering fashion on the level!
      Andrew
      Devon UK
      and put in the silver one?

• Dream Car Giveaway
    • By 83klt200
      1983 klt 200 if I turn the key to the on position it starts sparking and you can hear it. This is without the engine being turned over or running. Any help?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Gallery Images