Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1994 Kawasaki Bayou 400 - No Spark

been acting up for a couple weeks.running fine then dies,no spark at plug.wait few minutes start up again runs for maybe hours.also sometimes it will run great then it starts losing rpm.will not wind up to higher rpms then it will pickup and go for awhile.well now there is no spark any time ,nothing....:aargh:

Two more places you should look. First check the trigger coil resistance and if its up to snuff. Try checking the key ignition. There is a continuity check you can do for that also. Otherwise, you can run a jump wire on the wiring harness side to elimininate the key. once it is jumped out and you get a constant spark then you have your problem. Use a small wire to jump with until the neutral light comes on then the bike should fire up. If this is too complicated then dont take any chances on it unless you know what your doing.

Two more places you should look. First check the trigger coil resistance and if its up to snuff. Try checking the key ignition. There is a continuity check you can do for that also. Otherwise, you can run a jump wire on the wiring harness side to elimininate the key. once it is jumped out and you get a constant spark then you have your problem. Use a small wire to jump with until the neutral light comes on then the bike should fire up. If this is too complicated then dont take any chances on it unless you know what your doing.

you talking about pickup coil? regular ohm meter ok? key ignition replaced with toggle switch and green neutral lite has always come on when switch is closed.will a regular ohm meter work to check cdi if needed/ I have older needle type and digital type. think stator would act up like this or cdi? thanks for any help.

Some people call it a trigger coil or a pickup coil. The best meter to use would definitely be a digital meter. However, the reading that youll get may differ some because you may not have the same type of meter that Kawasaki may have used.

As it seems like you have the ignition key already bypassed, then that illiminates the ignition set. Therefore the only other issues has to be the stator itself. Youll need the reading given out of a shop manual in order to test the CDI, I have been around kawasakis for years and I don't ever remember replacing a single CDI. Im not saying it may not be your problem but be sure before you replace it. They are not cheap.

If the ignition coil specs and the pickup coil specs measure up then its either a bad ground or a broken wire somewhere. That's what I would check before replacing the CDI. If your getting spark sometimes and then not id bet money on a corroded ground wire or a loose wire.

Edited by skidooer_3

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I checked everything you could check and everything checked out so I replaced my CDI and still nothing. After a week of going over the atv I looked at the plugins on the old and new CDI. They were exactly the same except the pin placement in the connector from the pickup coil was slightly different so the connectors fit together perfectly but the pins were not making contact. I hooked up jumpers from connector to connector and had spark.  Swopped out connector ends and bike runs perfect. MAKE SURE YOUR PICKUP COIL CONNECTORS MATE UP!