Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Polaris Magnum 425 - No Top End

Rwoody

Been A While.

The issues above were solved eventually through a lot of digging and perseverance. I saw the last item pop up on a few forums about starting with electric starter and pull starter. Which I had an issue with as well. 

1. The machines would almost always crank over without a problem but would not always start. Although would start easily with pull starter.

What I have found is that when cranking it with electric start it would seem to have spark so you think its good                   but that spark is not consistent which you really cant tell that by just looking at it.

The problem is your Pulse or Trigger coil is just a whisker to far away from the flywheel. Its close enough to run and not give you a problem in most conditions So the next question is?

2. But why does it start with the pull starter and not the electric. The pull starter engages the flywheel at the center which does not put any mechanical forces on the flywheel. The Starter gear on the other hand does and that angular stress or force is just enough to move the flywheel away from the trigger coil which in turn gives you the problem of not starting with the electric starter. Like a said its just a thousands (very small gap) 

I had this issue with 4 older machines (3 425"s and 1 500 90's vintage)

What I had to do was access the trigger coil and adjust it closer to the flywheel I used the closest measurement. I also had to on one machine elongate the mounting holes (very little) to get that close gap.

But after doing so I no longer had that issue of will not start with electric starter but will start with pull starter. 

Again this was all on 1990's machines.

Hope this helps and RIDE ON  

polaris 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Rwoody,

Glad to hear your finding a happy place for your collection of 425's.  I didn't really get the satisfaction out of my return trip to my Polaris factory wrench I would have liked, he told me he replaced the cam & compression release but it still often does not want to roll over like it should, but I'm done with the guy.  I think he just replaced the cam cover & left the comp release out.  Occasionally when it rolls up and doesn't want to roll over I just give a yank on the pull starter and it starts right up.  Never got on readjusting my carb and still am still missing like 15% of the top end.  Having a new ride for the majority of my tasks moves working on the Mag down my list of things to do.  Kept it around cuz I know I wouldn't get much for it and it is serviceable.  With the recent  "Snowmageddon" descending on Michigan I remounted her with the OEM plow I had always used and would not have even known there was any power problem. Had everything cleared in short order.  Very glad I kept her around.  Don't like having a plow on my machine when I go to the woods for firewood.  I have got kinda spoiled on the power steering on my new ride also.  Here's a vid on what I did with my new ride today.  

Right On Russ

That is one way to clear a parking spot. Never would have thought of that.  Yeah I had 6 of those 425's at one time. I am back down to 1 my original one. I started this 4 Wheeler journey back in 2007 and from that time to now I have resurrected five (5) Suzuki LT250's 85 - 86 versions, 3 LT4WD Suzuki's, 3 Yamaha's moto 4's, 2 Honda's, 2 two stroke Polaris's, 1 6X6 Polaris and Six 425's. I am one of those guys that loves to dig into old stuff and get it running again. It also helps that I have a relative that runs a scrap yard which most of these cam from. He gives me a call when one comes in and I pay scrap price for them. My real job has me traveling all over the place and when I see one in a field neglected or outside broken down I will stop and knock on the door which has worked well so far but not always. I was a aircraft electrician in the navy and just need something to keep me busy.  recently I picked up a 2014 at an auction for 500$ that had been rolled. After replacing all the damaged parts I am into it for just over 1400. This thing had 22 hours and 148 miles on it. The tires still had the nubs. Runs great and will be my keeper for a while. I am also working on a Honda foreman 87 version at the moment, picked it up at the same auction dirt cheap. Cleaned carb and had it running in hour once I got it home.  

My first 4 Wheeler ever was that 425 that's probably why I still have her. I still have to do a little work to her the carb bogs out at times but other than that it runs great, not as cushy as the 2014 but I still like to take her for a ride now and then. The old machines definitely let you know your age but I still like to ride them.

Here is the 2014 I picked up had to replace dam near all the plastics and handle bars and steering column but other then that good running machine. the other pick a friend sent me and thought you would like it

Stay with it and Enjoy

20190102_103128.thumb.jpg.80565efe3b235ca611c148ea1c24ff19.jpg

20181129_125016.thumb.jpg.01b6bf176669add524f368c0a9f118f4.jpg