Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Bigal700

1994 yamaha timberwolf wont start

I got a 1994 yamaha timberwolf that 2 years ago i bought put carb on off a parts one had it running but not the best so i rebuilt the carb seemed to run good then i left it sit i wanted to ride it so,i took carb apart to clean it looked good had it running but wouldn't idle not a big deal then it died so i gave up on now trying to start wont do anything i checked spark looks good, has great compression and its getting gas i sprayed starter fluid in it and it still wont do anything what the heck could be wrong?

how good is the spark? when turning over the spark should be rapid and brilliant blue ... if not and it hiccups or not completely blue, could be stator and/or pick up coil ...

I changed coil off one that runs and it looks kinda white the spark but it don't look bad i looked at the other one and it looked about the same

the stator makes the spark, it is inside the cover by your left foot sitting on the bike, it is an easy fix, the spark being white is weak, if changed it will be blue. stator and pick up coil are sold together, both inside the cover, you might be able to buy just the pick up coil and try that, sometimes that is all that goes on them ...

i had the same problem on a 91 big bear and changed it out and never had to look back. from what i heard, yamaha had stators that didnt hold up that well. but the aftermarket ones are the way to go. ebay has alot of good deals on them ...

I looked i can get one from any where for the same price i got two more timberwolfs the same year the one i ran it to the ground it ran but cam chain stretched and i never had to replace stator and the other one looked like a new machine when i got it iv had great luck with that one

Edited by Bigal700

Ok i pulled stator out of parts machine and i pulled carb from one i have that runs good but as soon as it gets warm it dies i thought maybe something wrong with carb when i pulled it so i took it off myn and put it back on running one and that one ran great so there's something still wrong with myn wat could it be?

Ok now i pulled stator out of my junk wheeler that run but cam chain stretched on and i pull carb off of my running timberwolf and it idles and revs up but once it gets warm it dies and wont start again what could this be? Its not carb pulled it back off myn put it on running wheeler and it runs great so something is still wrong with myn

leakdown/compression test might be ok to start run but once it warms up too little compression to run.

fuel tank vapor lock? is tank clean and is vent out of top of gas cap clear? my lt160 did same and that was the issue. also check vacuum lines from carb to airbox and motor.

Not that I've ever heard of, just an idiot light for low oil pressure on most Yamaha's.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?
    • By YamahaBB350
      I have a Yamaha Big Bear 350 and the reverse doesn’t work, it shifts from low to high easily but it won’t go back to reverse. I’m new to this stuff, so I’ll take any help. Any ideas? 
    • By Randel1
      I recently read an article about restoring or at least improving the looks of faded and discolored plastic body parts. In the article it suggested using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. You mix it up and apply it with a brush or rag to rub it in and remove the oxidation. I curious to find out if anyone has had experience with doing this and what was their short/long term results of doing so. I would hate to try it and find out that a few weeks/months down the road my plastic body parts self destruct.   
    • By mothrottle
      The VIN on my 2018 Kodiak 450 is not where it's supposed to be. I bought this used. Is there another "hidden" location where I can find it? Need the number for insurance co. Thanks in advance.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Guythis448
      Looking for help on wiring up stock wiring harness specifically for a '88 Honda TRX 300 
      If anyone could drop a link or send me a PM it would be much appreciated 
    • By Reece K.
      I just recently bought a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 from a buddy who had the wheeler sitting in his garage for 7 years. I got it home and fired it up pushed it out of the garage and tried to shift it and it wouldn't shift. First it would click like it was shifting, but the wheeler wouldn't move and when I hit the gas it revved up like I was in nuetral. After trying some more it became stuck in 1st gear and wouldnt shift at all. But it later broke loose agian and acts like it is in neutral again. I took the motor off the machine to make it easier to work on.After asking friends they were convinced it was a clutch problem but after opening up the casing for the clutch I don't see anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that it may be a transmission problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.