Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

BuckBilly

Radiator and oil cooler cleaning.

If you have liquid cooled or an oil cooled atv, here is a easy tip about cleaning the out side of the radiator or oil cooler.Especially if you have a fan on it. Take the nozzle off you garden hose and spray the radiator or oil cooler from the back side. Opposite direction of air flow.I was talking to a Honda mechanic about 5 years ago, they were having to replace Ruby trannys because of mud and dust plugging the fins of the radiator. I told them about how my dad cleans the radiator on vehicles. To make a long story short they told a guy who was on his 3rd tranny about that. He rod in nothing but mud. He tried this method and it works really good. I also found out it helped my friend with his Polaris's over heating problem. Dust was plugging it up. Hope this helps someone out there. We spend are had earned money on our toys. Hope this helps make someones quad last longer.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and gets some riding time in!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin::wink: :wink:

You are Right about the cleaning of the Rads..... Good Tip....However,,,,If you have Access to Air during the Day it might be better in the Dusty Conditions....If you Clean it with Water it is best to Start out again after it has Dried....That Dust will just collect in there from the Get Go and Turn to mud in the Fins,,Resulting in the same Condition....I do this with my Tractor at work....If it will sit all weekend I will Wash it out.....If I have to use it,,,,Ill blow it out......:smile:

The local radiator shop averages about 120 radiator repairs a year, because of the blow out method. When you blow it out it is like sandblasting, you have a better chance of cutting a core . But with water the dirt will go with the flow and not cut in. Also water house is more of a commom house hold tool than air.

Hmmmmm,,,,Not saying your Wrong.....I believe you repair them....Just hard to take....Ive been using Air on Machines for over 20 yrs with no problems....However,,,,I do use Water when I wont be firing it up for at least 24 hrs....Running Tractors in MOON DUST with Wet fins = MUD.......

I've seen alot of them in the 21 years I worked part time for dad, but I also saw people do things and never have a problem.Also watched people just look at stuff and it would just break.:eek::confused::huh::laugh:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By nctruckguy
      i'm looking at buying this atv from the website www.rebuilttoys.com
       http://rebuilttoys.com/rtview.aspx?412479,,0 

its a great price and i can do the repair.  any suggestions?

• By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      In this video, Jonathan describes how he cleaned a Nikasil plated cylinder.
      Aluminum cylinders are often coated with a harder material such as Nikasil (Nickel Silicon Carbide). Over time, the softer aluminum of the pistons can rub off onto the cylinder. When rebuilding the top-end, this should be cleaned off.
      This can be done using hydrochloric acid which reacts with aluminum to produce hydrogen gas and aluminum chloride, which washed off with water. Since Nikasil is resistant to corrosion, it is undamaged and protects the cylinder during this process.
      Here is the chemical reaction:
      2 Al (s) + 6 HCl (aq) → 2 AlCl3 (aq) + 3 H2 (g)

Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      ATV, Snowmachine, Motorcycle, & Outdoor Power Equipment

• By Chomp
      I just bought a suzuki side by side a the scrap yard  it says its a LT 400 and I need to know if its factory are a homemade job I'm either gonna use its part for my other suzuki atv are restore it 
    • By Squirrel
      Thought I'd throw this one in the club section to help raise the lack of activity here. I'm fixing up a '00 Bayou 220 that I picked up last weekend; needs the carb rebuilt, at least that's all I was hoping it needed. Anyways, decided to check the battery, starter, spark, all that jazz so I was good to go when I got the carb fixed.. and that's when I found an intermittent short in the start switch as well as the headlight switch. So I removed the switch housing from the handlebar to find this:

I dismantled the entire assembly, blew it all out with compressed air, cleaned everything including the corroded contacts, and then reassembled it all making sure to put dielectric grease on all the exposed electrical. It looks 1000x better than before and everything works as it should (though I think I installed the kill switch backwards lol). 
      My question is this: Is that good enough? As a former auto mechanic, I'd always seal any external electronics to prevent dirt, moisture, etc from getting in. However, the design of the housing doesn't really make this possible. I'm not trying to make this thing 100% submersible, but with the switch being old/original I'd like to know it won't fail on me if I get caught in a downpour or something.
    • By res2fr
      I am trying to help my son with a machine he recently bought. A Coleman Outfitters 400 4x4 UTV.(Ihsun 400) The problem is a big one and I'm trying to work through a step at a time. It's a 2014 that had a Kodiak 400 motor and CDI box put in it for some reason but don't know year. There was a fire and someone pulled out and messed up the old wiring harness. He got a new harness for the Utv but now we have to try to figure out how to wire everything together. Any help on wiring the Kodiak to it's own CDI and or into the Utv would be Greatly appreciated. If I get a Diagram for that motors wiring then I can go to work on the harness install for the machine. I do have pictures of some of the #s on the motor, CDI box and of the harness coming from the motor.
      I know its asking for a lot to hope someone might be able and willing to help but it would be great if I could get some feed back. Now I have to see about uploading some manuals I have for older Linhai/Manco Atvs that I have.
      Thanks 
    • By res2fr
      Hello all. As a second major part to trying to help my son bring a 2014 Coleman Outfitters 400 UTV to life I am trying to find a schematic of the electrical system for the complete machine. Have to try to wire a Kodiak 400 engine and CDI box into a New machine wiring harness. We also have to install the Complete harness into the machine as the old one was stripped out. Have nothing against buying a service manual but really love it if/when I can find a Schematic in a PDF file so I can blow it help to better follow the wire runs.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By crazynordlander
      Hi All,
      Has anyone found engine oil in their air filter box. The must be little or no baffle between crankcase ventilation and that hose that attaches to the air filter box.
      I went to pick up my ATV today 60 miles away that they could not fix the jerky low speeds on and before I loaded it decided to check on this. Sure enough there was a good coating of oil with some pooling in the bottom of the air filter box. The air filter has oil on it too but is it a dry element or oiled element type. My guess from the color of it dry.
      I heard on a comment on my YT videos that there is a kit for this issue? Is this a CFMOTO fix?
      Thanks
      Kevin
    • By bradleyheathhays
      I'm going into my '11 Grizz 700 to adjust valve clearance for the first time and when I button everything back up I'll be replacing all the gaskets / o-rings. The 5 I'll be replacing include (from the top down) both valve cover gaskets, cylinder head cover gasket, and the 2 gaskets in the crankcase cover.
      Do I need to coat these gaskets with motor oil before putting them on like when replacing your oil filter?
    • By toonces
      Have a 2011 Grizz 700 and for the diff oil the manual calls for SAE 80 API GL-4 hypoid gear oil. I'll be using Mobil 1 synthetic but as it comes in two different weights I'm not sure which one to get....either the 75W-90 or the 75W-140.
      The 75W-90 is listed as GL-5 and is recommended for use in 'high-performance vehicles like SUVs, vans and light duty trucks.' The 75W-140 weight is also GL-5 and is recommended for 'high-performance vehicles including sport utility vehicles, vans and light-duty trucks.'