Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

BCNemo

Kodiak 400 cold weather problem

I have a 2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400 (YFM400FWAN©) On a recent hunting trip a problem popped up and I hope someone else has experienced this, so that I can learn from them instead of going on my own hunt for an answer.

The Problem:

On cold days (sub 25 degree) I choke the Kodiak and it starts instantly. It revs up and runs on "high idle" without any problem. However when I return the choke lever to its "normal" position the ATV continues to run and a very high idle. I cant put it into gear until the idle comes down, which it doesn't. In order to use the bike I have to shut it off and when I restart it I must place it into gear before the engine gets a chance to rev up. It then returns to a normal idle and the machine behaves normally. This only happens on real cold days but it is a problem I want to fix. Can anyone offer some help?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Yamaha Terrapro dies when going into high gear

Need help solving an issue.  I recently got this.  Its missing the pto system.  It only drives in low gear, when switching into high gear,  it shuts off.  Please help. 

By A B, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 1 reply
    • Yamaha ATV VIN Number Decoder & Search

Looking for Yamaha ATV VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Number Decoders? Once you find your ATV VIN number off the tag on your Yamaha ATV, you can go to all kinds of websites that have VIN Decoders available. The best ones are backed by the Yamaha ATV manufacturer, however there are plenty of aftermarket Yamaha ATV VIN Decoder websites on the web. This topic will stay pinned and if you find any to add, please do it with a reply.  The following Yamaha ATV VIN Decoder websites are available where you can just enter your VIN number and it will shows you some of your ATV model details: KBB.com https://www.kbb.com/vehicle-history-report/ 
      CARFAX https://www.carfax.com
      autoDNA https://www.autodna.com
      VinAudit http://www.vinaudit.com/
      decodeTHIS https://www.decodethis.com
      VINCario https://vindecoder.eu/ NICB Theft Check https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck 

By Admin, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 10 replies
    • 1987 Yamaha Big Bear 350 Grinding Noise Front Differential

Hi, Thanks for a newbie on this site ! i have grinding noise in my front differential. the front right wheel is turning and the left is try to turn but no movement and make sound like a gear broken. somebody have any idea ? not enough oil in diff ? thank

By qcm413, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 1 reply
    • 1990 Yamaha Moto 4 350 (YFM350ER)

I picked up a 1990 Yamaha Moto 4 350 from a buddy in the past two weeks. Still runs very well and is the first ATV I’ve ever owned. It is a nice utility ATV that my kids can have fun on. Wondering if anyone has an owners and service manual for this ATV.  I’m a DIY guy that wants to go through and maintain the ATV. I just gave it a updated paint job (photo attached). Thanks for the help.

By Big E, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • 1994 Yamaha big bear 350 Starting Issues

I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.

By Scoopeddad, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 14 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By gpenberthy
      my o4 polaris 4x4 lost power just going down road at 10 miles an hour . Had only been on it for 20 minutes. Engine still ran just no power. Shifted into reverse had little power. Shifted back in forward and it ran for about 5 minutes then no power again. Was afraid to drive it any further so towed it back to cabin while still running..  It had power once again for a few mintues. No smell of anything burning . Several years ago I had to replace belt becasue it did something similiar. Could it be the belt again?

• By Corbean
      I have a 2007 atv 400 after a new battery and solenoid starter all checked out along w fuses .. the atv shows no electric no power... any suggestions? Thanks in advance
    • By Alan Callison
      Hi ya'll. I just got a 04 Kodiak 400 and Im confused.The left rear wheel moves like the bearing is shot so I figured its a quick fix. Much to my dismay when I looked at it before I tore into it ,it appears to have a drum brake-no bearing on the wheel. As this is the first time Id be working on a 4 wheeler job Im a bit hesitant. The manual only shows this has disk brakes.Its a sealed drum right behind the wheel.I pulled the wheel of expecting to find a bearing.Nope! Ive never done it before but it appears Ill have to pull the axle out to replace the bearing. Am I correct and if I am can anyone give me some advice on how to do it.The repair manual isn't much help. Thanks alot!
    • By Chayse Hill
      I have a 2003 LTZ 400 that i bought a few days ago. The quad was running fine until last night. I let my brother ride it down the street and back and i didnt notice anything etong with bike. Then my neighbors friend came over and said "can i ride it?" I said "sure" so he ripped it down the road all fine and when he got back it died right in front of us. My brother said it was dieing on him also. He also said that he wasnt using the clutch to shift. I told him he was an idiot. Im throwing that in there incase that caused a problem as well. But today i go to check it to make sure its getting fuel which it is and replaced the spark plug incase it wasnt getting spark but it is. So i started it and it was having a problem starting then i got started and was reving at idle high. So i took it around the block and it died on me a little bit down, so i try to restart it and it started so i kicked it into 1st and it kinda launched on me and started going with the clutch all the way in. Then it died right after and wasnt running right during that process and was idleing all over the place and just died and now i cant get it started it again. Before it would start without the choke or priming it. It would start real quick now i cant figure if it needs to be rejetted or something else. Air filter looks clean also. But any help would be gratelly appreciated!