Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

jroc021

1999 Big Bear 350 Neutral Light issues

I have a 1999 Big Bear 350 2 x 4. The issue I am having is the neutral light not coming on when in neutral. I can hold the brake and the bike will start. But to make the light come on I have to hold the shift lever down and if I take pressure off the shift lever the light will go out. I have replaced the neutral switch (the old one was broken). Put it all back together and still have the neutral light issue. Does anyone have any idea on what else would cause this and what could I check? I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

Edited by Admin
Edited title to include ATV information

Ok.  The switch ground? I will check the power to the switch. If there is, any suggestion where to go from there. I checked the switch I replaced before I installed and it checked out good (I think). I read somewhere else that there is a plunger that could be sticking. Not sure about that. I am kind of new to the ATV repair game so I appreciate your help. Thanks

Ok. I appreciate it I have a Clymer manual but, it is VERY vague on the 1999 model. I am trying to locate a service manual for it, I will keep looking. I could get one from Yamaha but don't feel like giving them $75. Omce again, thanks for the help. 

7 minutes ago, oxidized_black said:

I'll see if I have a manual for your beast and post a link if I do ... nss's can be a real pain sometimes !!

Ox, you had posted this one. Not 1999 but close. :D

• Like 1

I'm just at work right now, manuals are home on an external hard drive, I'm pretty sure I have it ... but was pretty sure my marriage would work too lol ... I'll take a gander when I get home ?

• Like 1

Just now, Admin said:

Ox, you had posted this one. Not 1999 but close. :D

I checked that one not right one. It has different neutral switch. But thanks though.

1 minute ago, oxidized_black said:

I'm just at work right now, manuals are home on an external hard drive, I'm pretty sure I have it ... but was pretty sure my marriage would work too lol ... I'll take a gander when I get home ?

Thanks. No hurry. I thought the same about my first marriage too. LOL

It sounds to  me   like there  is  a  "plunger"   or whatever  activates the  neutral switch   out of adjustment or sticking .  If  you  changed the  switch, my  guess is it  is  out of adjustment. Without seeing the  switch  and its location  I can only  guess on how it works... There  could be  a   little  flat that allows  a  lever/  plunger  to  drop  into  to  close the  contacts  in the  switch  and  it  is  not  lining  up  without   putting  some pressure on the  shift  lever ,  or there  is a  little  bump  (cam)  on the  part  that   activates the  switch and the  switch is not  close enough   for that  cam to   close the  switch.  Switches  can  be made to either  have  a  lever/  plunger   push  to  close ,  or  have  a space  for the  switch's  lever/  plunger  to drop  into  to  close. 

10 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

It sounds to  me   like there  is  a  "plunger"   or whatever  activates the  neutral switch   out of adjustment or sticking .  If  you  changed the  switch, my  guess is it  is  out of adjustment. Without seeing the  switch  and its location  I can only  guess on how it works... There  could be  a   little  flat that allows  a  lever/  plunger  to  drop  into  to  close the  contacts  in the  switch  and  it  is  not  lining  up  without   putting  some pressure on the  shift  lever ,  or there  is a  little  bump  (cam)  on the  part  that   activates the  switch and the  switch is not  close enough   for that  cam to   close the  switch.  Switches  can  be made to either  have  a  lever/  plunger   push  to  close ,  or  have  a space  for the  switch's  lever/  plunger  to drop  into  to  close. 

Here is what it looks like. It mounts behind the secondary clutch. It's really a pain in the a** to get to, especially now that I have changed the oil and will have to drain it again and pull the primary and secondary clutch off to get to the switch.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jroc021
bad picture

In the manual I have I found how to test the neutral switch and the neutral switch relay. I will test and report back the results.

2 hours ago, jroc021 said:

In the manual I have I found how to test the neutral switch and the neutral switch relay. I will test and report back the results.

Funny the light came on and stayed on after cleaning the connectors on the switch and the switch relay. Then I rode it a bit and the light wouldn't stay on. I think it may be the plunger that was mentioned before but, I don't want to tear it apart again. I can live with pulling the brake to start it, for now. 

Try  tapping on the neutral switch relay when  it  is  in  neutral  and the light  won't come  on. The problem  could be  in  the relay. 

2 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

Try  tapping on the neutral switch relay when  it  is  in  neutral  and the light  won't come  on. The problem  could be  in  the relay. 

I cleaned the relay it had a bunch of dirt in it and was rusty. I can hear the audible click when I mess with the shifter  and when I hold the brake. Seems to be operating properly. I will try to tap it and see if that makes a difference. Thanks