Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

wastntim

Brand New and need advice

Hello,

I am looking for some advice as I consider buying an ATV. 

First off, I've never even ridden one before, but am looking for a hobby to enjoy with my 5 year old son as he gets bigger.  For the last 5 years, I have been racing cars on road courses around the Midwest but this is really my hobby and doesn't do much for my son.  Plus the racing takes a Lot of time and money and just takes me away from the family too much. 

In general, I'm 45 years old.  Although speed is obviously something that interests me, I am wise enough to know that I am a complete newbie and have no interest in breaking my neck.  In my head, at this point, I have my son and myself learning to ride at the same time and us going out on some trails.  I would love for the wife to get into it but that will take some convincing.  I don't own a ranch or a farm and I have a 47" snowblower for the john deere so I don't think I need anything ultra utilitarian. 

I am looking for advice on age and brands of used atv's I should be considering.   I saw a post on craigslist for a 2007 Yamaha grizzly that looked sporty but also a little utilitarian but, to be honest, I have no idea of what I'm doing so it is nothing more than a guess. 

For my son, I was looking at getting a little Chinese brand for a few years until he is older.  I saw one that even has a keyfob that let's you disable it remotely.  My wife really liked that feature. 

All help is appreciated. 

Unless  they have recently  improved quality control  I'd  be very wary of the  Chinese quads.  Nearly al  I've heard of locally  have developed  electrical / ignition problems before they  had  a  lot of  use. Of  the  Japanese /  American  made quads,  I'd  say only  the  older  Polaris 2 stroke  ones I   know  of  have  had any problems more than  the  others.  Honda , Suzuki, Yamaha and  Kawasaki all  fall  into  personal  preference  choices .. I  bought  my  '94 Honda Fourtrax 300   full time  4x4  used, have ridden  it  4 years  since purchase and all  I have  had to  do  is replace the  rear axle  and hubs because the splines  have worn  out on them. That  is a pretty common  problem  with 22 year old  Hondas. A  friend  bought  a   very  hard run 1984  Honda  trx 200.  It  still  runs fin , but the  framework for the  rear axle was all cracked and broken..  My  little wirefeed welder  and some  gussets have  taken  care  of that  problem.  My other riding friend's 1994 Suzuki  Quadrunner  needs wheel  bearings replaced.. All  have no  problems with their  motors or transmissions. I  prefer the  shaft  drive  quads,  others  may  prefer the  chain driven  ones  for their simplicity  and ease of  modifying  for racing,  but at  73,  my racing  days  are  pretty  much done.

Others  may  have   much different opinions ,  but I  feel  any  of  the older four stroke  Japanese  quads  will   serve you well  if their previous owners have taken  reasonably  good care of them. If  you  did  any wrenching of the  cars  you raced , you should have no problems  maintaining   a  quad .  If  it  is  running  well  and  all the  gears   work, all  you  should be  faced  with  is  routine  maintenance to  keep them that  way .  The  one old Polaris   2 stroke  quad was a disaster with  multiple  problems , the  least of  which was the  broken  reeds  that  shut it  down.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2016 at 2:54 PM, davefrombc said:

Unless  they have recently  improved quality control  I'd  be very wary of the  Chinese quads. 

I agree with davefrombc on this. Although there are a ton or automotive and related parts being manufactured in China these days, the standards that some of the mainstream brands have is usually higher which equates to quality. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• STOLEN ATV: Stolen Trailer, Racing 4wheeler, and Dirtbike

2017 Carry On trailer, 2008 Honda TRX450R, 2007 Yamaha YZ250F all stolen from apartment complex parking lot.
      At some point between September 1 and September 16, my trailer, my 4wheeler, and my husbands dirtbike were stolen from our apartment complex. Pleasssse reach out if you see any of the trio 🙂 The post Stolen Trailer, Racing 4wheeler, and Dirtbike appeared first on Stolen 911. View the full article

By StolenATV, in Stolen ATVs

• 2 replies
    • Looking at a Big Bear 400, need some advice please

I have never owned an ATV but have decided to purchase a used one.  I live on 40 acres, cut my own wood to heat my house.  So I would use to pull logs, pull a wagon with cut wood, and general farm use.  Also I plan on plowing snow so that sums up my needs.  I will be looking at a 2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 in a couple days.  I need help as to what to look for with this model, maybe things that might be an indication of its condition.  The ad says he just put a new battery in and the odometer doesn't work, it shows 881 miles.  It also comes with a winch and plow and he wants $2100.  Any help would be appreciated...thanks  The pics look to be pretty decent shape.

By bcsman, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • thoughts on buying this side by side?

i'm looking at buying this atv from the website www.rebuilttoys.com  http://rebuilttoys.com/rtview.aspx?412479,,0    its a great price and i can do the repair.  any suggestions?  

By nctruckguy, in General ATV Discussion

• 6 replies
    • Big Bear 350 been sitting for 10 years - I can't get it into neutral

Helping my Father-in-Law get his 1987 (I think) Big Bear 350 running so he can sell it. I can't get it into neutral (or don't know how) so I can pressure wash it before starting repairs. See photo. Clutch is hard to operate. I clicked down on the shift pedal to what I think is 1st then pulled up one click, but it's still in gear. The brake drum is stuck and the electrical system needs tracing out. How can I get it in neutral or just get the wheels rolling?

By Txbigbear, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 12 replies
    • Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4 - Parts Advice

Hello guys! New to the forum, and fairly new to ATVs. I've driven them, but never owned one. Now I do own one. Just picked it up today. It's a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350. It's been through some stuff. The guy I got it from told me the previous owner removed the front diff because he didn't want to replace the half shaft. So it's 2wd, even though it's supposed to be 4x4. Lovely. I can deal with that for now.   More importantly, I need to get it running. The carb needs to be rebuilt. The guy I got it from said he sprayed it all out and it still didn't work. I'm concerned he might have damaged it or not put all the parts back. I was looking at a replacement carb, and the OEM parts is $600. I'd rather not spend $600 if there are any other options. I have seen carbs on Amazon and eBay that are in the $40 - $100 range that say they fit. Anyone have experience with these? I'm going to get a rebuild kit for the current carb just to make sure that won't fix it.   Thats the first thing with it. Secondly, it was completely rewired. I need to find a original wiring diagram so I can put it back how it was, with a key and all. Currently it's wired with just a rocker switch. Any sources for a service manual that would include wiring diagrams?   Thirdly, is the Big Bear 350 a good atv? I picked it up for $700. It does start and run when you spray starting fluid into the air intake, so I am not concerned about the engine being bad. I plan to use it for the farm, running around and carrying things with it like minerals and feed and such. Not really for mudding and things like that. How good is the 99 350?   I am certain I will have more questions as I examine it more, but that's all for now. Thanks in advance for the assistance!   -Blenderite

By Blenderite, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 14 replies