Quantcast

2004 Yamaha Grizzly Foot Rest Rusted Broken

Ajmboy

Unfortunately I didn't notice some of the rust hitting the undercarriage of my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660, but saw it the other day when I was doing some maintenance, oil change, air filter, spark plug, etc. The left side footrest broke and that's causing the plastic to hit the front wheel. It broke right at the welds from too much rust. Looks to me like what I need is (looked this up on yamahapartshouse.com):

YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27481-10 Left side (broken)

YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27488-10-00 Right side (rusted and will probably break eventually)

2004 Yamaha Grizzly Foot Rest Assembly

Does anyone have a less expensive source? I did see on ebay a couple of listings but it still comes out to @ $50 each, 

Nobody in your  quadding  acquaintances have  a  small  wire feed  welder? They're  pretty  common  out  here   among the   ATV  and  4x4 clubs.  A light  duty flux core  wire feed  is  not expensive  and will  do all  the welding  you  want to  do  on ATVs  and most  things that  need welding repairs  around a  home  and yard.  They're  not   hard to  learn to  use  and it's surprising  how many  projects  you   will  come  up  with if  you  have  one.   Sorry  I can't  help  out  from the other  side of the continent.  My  wire  feed  gets  a fairly  regular  workout.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

Drill and bolt up ? Stainless hardware?

I’m  constantly snapping bolts exactky like this. I wind up using stainless nuts bolts and lock washers with thread lock but wondering if you went a diffent route. 

I drilled out the old broken bolts on what they sent me which only holds the plastic on. Using new bolts and nuts with lock washers. Used the old bolts to mount to the frame. I think over the summer I'm going to take some of the plastics off and remove rust and coats some of the metal.

• Like 1

It is amazing how fast they rust, i drilled out a few bolts holding my plastics on while working on my recent project and while doing so it got too hot and melted the plastic 😢 and the hole was about 3/4 of an inch since it was a large pan head type bolt that held the plastic to the metal bracket. I had to use a large washer to rebolt the plastics up due to that screw up.  But def go with the stainless if you can.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

It is amazing how fast they rust, i drilled out a few bolts holding my plastics on while working on my recent project and while doing so it got too hot and melted the plastic 1f622.png and the hole was about 3/4 of an inch since it was a large pan head type bolt that held the plastic to the metal bracket. I had to use a large washer to rebolt the plastics up due to that screw up.  But def go with the stainless if you can.  

I just went to home depot for something else and forgot to pick up bolts! Damn... It is amazing how they rust and corrode. Good tip, thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well today I started on the other side because I only did the one side when I started this topic. I Actually started off today taking my front wheels off to check a brake squeal but ended up pads were still good. I think my wheel bearing is squealing. I sprayed some lube and it seemed to stop, so we’ll see. Thought it was the backing plate or cracked pad but they were fine. 

83F8EEFF-0EFE-44C5-BCAF-17DBDD2FD5F1.thumb.jpeg.0004173140755a0bed5e643c47c8f4cd.jpeg

A4CB75DF-F215-4D98-B7B8-66DD9D8ED2D7.thumb.jpeg.f6cd9633058dfed50b1295449190a808.jpeg

884A53EF-EE78-46A4-BA41-27934C1492EF.thumb.jpeg.b364e9da9d913626d06213df5a35d80c.jpeg

Still have this used footrest, drilled out the broken screws. Just coated it with some rust converter and will spray it tomorrow.

5A221413-8BD9-4A83-8CB7-E78647680FF0.thumb.jpeg.75549ca2f98b78a1fa5b23e2502bb373.jpeg

Chipmunks made a mess of under the seat wiring. Had to address that..

D544D817-1048-4885-A520-DD4576C4567D.thumb.jpeg.6f7e279c558cf407409ea9f567ee825b.jpeg

13 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Holy crap @Ajmboy which one was it, Alvin, Simon or Theodore? 😂

You had the footrest laying around ? That’s great. 
My bear tracker had a mess as well. Just not sure what type of rodent  did it.  Why do they always go for the battery or the air box compartments???

I ended up buying 2 on ebay used in January 2018 so the other one was laying around. Over the summer it finally broke so before the winter comes I figured let me get it installed. Alvin chewed through my wiring for the winch remote (which I can't even find anymore)..lol. The other side I had fixed still going strong.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:25 PM, Frank Angerano said:

That’s a smart move having that extra foot rest.   
Wiring fixable ? 

All wiring is fixable, had it under the tarp for a couple of weeks and got back at it this week. Replaced the footrest  (cleaned it up nice,, removed rust, painted) and started messing with other things...lol.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly Foot rest repair

Took off the racks and front bumper, some plastics and in the process of cleaning her up a bit. Using Loctite Rust Neutralizer brush on for the racks and bumper and then some fresh paint. Took the power washer and cleaned the quad up. Next spring I may just strip it down, and spray the frame and wrap the plastics in camo wrap of something like that.  My front bumper is pretty bentup, straightedn it out a bit bnut has some cracks. Will have to do for now. Racks have some rust but overal in good shape. Ordered some bolts, plastic for teh racks, and some other misc items like fuel petcock and fuel line from rocky mountain. Should have it all done by the weekend.

Here's the rust neutralizer that works very well:

Loctite Rust Neutralizer

I created an album to share some pics...

• Like 1