Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ed Morris

Suzuki Quadmaster Problem

I have a 2001 Quadmaster. Bought it from the original Owner. Its in Excellent condition for a 2001. The guy said there was a carb problem when I bought it. It seems like it is not getting fuel. I took off the tank, cleaned it, replaced the gas with fresh Gas, Installed a New Gas Valve. Then rebuilt the carb with a Carb Kit. Started it up and same damn thing, seems like its starving for gas. It will also backfire out the exhaust while trying to accelerate. Now the weird part. I started it the other day and it ran great. We went for a ride and it ran as if nothing was wrong with it. Started it the next day and back to running crappy again. I was like WTF !!! ... Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?

When you start it, are you using the choke? What's off is that you seem to addressed all the fuel issues and rebuilt the carb. Have you changed the plug and wire, checked the air box/filter as well or are they all good?

• Like 1

Backfiring is usually a sign of the exhaust valve not shutting properly. Time to take the head off and clean the built up carbon and also adjust the valve lash. I'm guessing its past 1000 miles on it and probably never has been done.

Also check your vacuum pipe and fuel feed pipe for splits, check the carb mounting rubber too ..... if they suck air in from rubber splits/leaks it causes the same symptoms.

Couple of general rules..

If they spit/backfire out the carby, it's usually too lean, so air leaks into the manifold, lean mixture, tight inlet valve etc.

If they backfire out the exhaust while going downhill or with the throttle off, it can be an air leak at the head to exhaust  connection or back between the front pipe and the muffler.

If they backfire out the exhaust as you are throttling on, it's likely to be caused by an intermittent lack of spark or incomplete combustion, which is letting unburnt gases into the exhaust. Then you need to check the ignition system.. and secondly the mixture.

Just general rules... but it's mostly right.. But hey.. for every rule, there's an exception !

Edited by Mech

I had a similar problem with my 1998 Suzuki King quad started right up idol perfect as soon as I gave it gas it was sputtering and backfire and no power rebuilt the carburetor and Thats right WTF. I threw in the towel gave it to this guy on Long Island and he found that my rectify it was bad. BAD RECTIFY !

Edited by Hunter19

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.