Quantcast

Suzuki Quadmaster Problem

Ed Morris

I have a 2001 Quadmaster. Bought it from the original Owner. Its in Excellent condition for a 2001. The guy said there was a carb problem when I bought it. It seems like it is not getting fuel. I took off the tank, cleaned it, replaced the gas with fresh Gas, Installed a New Gas Valve. Then rebuilt the carb with a Carb Kit. Started it up and same damn thing, seems like its starving for gas. It will also backfire out the exhaust while trying to accelerate. Now the weird part. I started it the other day and it ran great. We went for a ride and it ran as if nothing was wrong with it. Started it the next day and back to running crappy again. I was like WTF !!! ... Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Couple of general rules..

If they spit/backfire out the carby, it's usually too lean, so air leaks into the manifold, lean mixture, tight inlet valve etc.

If they backfire out the exhaust while going downhill or with the throttle off, it can be an air leak at the head to exhaust  connection or back between the front pipe and the muffler.

If they backfire out the exhaust as you are throttling on, it's likely to be caused by an intermittent lack of spark or incomplete combustion, which is letting unburnt gases into the exhaust. Then you need to check the ignition system.. and secondly the mixture.

Just general rules... but it's mostly right.. But hey.. for every rule, there's an exception !

Edited by Mech

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with my 1998 Suzuki King quad started right up idol perfect as soon as I gave it gas it was sputtering and backfire and no power rebuilt the carburetor and Thats right WTF. I threw in the towel gave it to this guy on Long Island and he found that my rectify it was bad. BAD RECTIFY !

Edited by Hunter19

• 7 months later...

I have one of those too, the gas is fed by a vacuum, check the 2 pipes just below the gas tank bolt, take the seat off and they are right there in the front, run a piece of wire through it to make sure it's clear. The arrow on the. petcock should be up or down, in the middle it primes the carb and will fill the engine with gas if you leave it there. Mine fired right up after I cleaned the vacuum lines. I had to replace the rectifier also and rig the wiring, and got it wrong , it doesn't charge the battery but I ride it every day, that's why I'm here trying to find out which wire goes where.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By Clydaho
      2022 Sector 550, 414 miles on it and the gas gauge reads empty.  I topped off the gas and it didn't change.
      There is no fuse that I could find.  No access at the gauge cluster.
      Wiring on the top of the tank looks good, properly connected.
      Could the sending unit in the tank be stuck or broken?
      Has anybody removed the tank lid?  Any tricks?  
      Any other ideas?
      Thanks for any help,
      Clyde
    • By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave