Quantcast

New to me 2006 sportsman 500

Al Burke

I bought a 2006 sportsman 500 efi last november and have used it plowing my driveway, the plow was put on after I bougnt it. it has 400 miles on it, everything has been working fine until the last time it snowed. About half way through plowing the "check engine" light came on for a little while, then went out. It came on again before I was done plowing, and went out before I put it in the garage. Today I tried to do a diagnostic check. I turned the ignition on like the manual said to do, and the check engine icon was on then, The manual says that the word "WAIT" will appear on the screen, it didn't. I tried again, turning the key on and off 3 times in less than 5 seconds, and would again no WAIT word. I'm following the instructions in the 2006 Sportman 500 EFI owners manual addendum p/n 9920595. Any idea what it could be? Thanks

Hi Al,

I've got an '09 sportsman/500 efi with a plow and I was getting the same "check engine" warning that you have. Check your oil level and change if necessary, as per your hour meter. When you're plowing, it's hard work for short bursts and then nothing then short bursts again. Your oil is hot and not cooling properly as you're not travelling any distances (like trail riding) to cool it off. If you're down even a half pint, that makes the motor work even harder, hence the warning light. Either slow down on the throttle or take more frequent rests and the light will not activate. When you put it in the garage, the motor had a cooling off/rest period and the light went out.This worked for me.

Doug, www.northland-paradise.com, Temagami

• Like 1

Here is a little bit of input on a few ways to bring up the codes. It seems that some models are diffent and turning the ignition on and off does not work on some models.  I called my friend who has a 05 said you have to turn the key off wait a few seconds and hold the yellow override button down and turn ignition on and then press the yellow button to scroll through the options and if there is a code it will come up. The bike can be running or not and has to be in neutral and 2wd. I’m attaching a few links that he pointed to watch. Good luck. 

• Like 1

things aren't going good. tried every one of the tips on the vid's, some with the engine running. the only one that did anything was holding the yellow button in and turning the key on, I was able to scroll through some things but never getting any fault codes. Then the battery light started blinking so I put a charger on it, and left it for a few hours. Tried again with same results. Tried to start it and it would only turn over, no fire. 

Sorry to hear that didn’t help. You may need to replace the ECM controller on the bike. Sometimes they just go. Have you checked for spark ? There are a ton of videos on you tube to go through regarding codes and even replacing the ECM. Take your time and don’t get frustrated.  Go through everything. Re think your steps while plowing did something hit the bike or a wire get hit or when the plow was installed maybe a wire got caught up in the intstallation? Are the controls ok any water get inside the kill switch or mode button, ignition? Spray them with with WD-40.  Definitely check for spark as well. If you are getting spark then it’s clearlry a fuel delivery problem.  

• 2 weeks later...

got spark, that plug is a bi*** to just get at let alone taking it out. I did remember one thing about the starting procedure on this quad. When I turn the key I can hear something running for a few seconds then it stops. Then turn the key farther to start. Now I don't hear anything when I turn the key.

Ok spark is a good thing.   Fuel injectors and or the fuel pump priming up is what you most likely heard when you turned the key on. I believe that bikes fuel system is electronic and has an electric fuel pump. So the problem most likely is either the fuse or power to the fuel pump system, or the fuse or power to the ECU/ECM.  If not then it’s most likely the actual ECU/ECM component itself. So before buying that part you really should check all fuses, relays to make sure they are good and any wires that may have gotten damaged. Even go as far as getting a tester or test light yes a test light (old school) and check the wires going into the ECU/ECM for voltage with the key on. A test light has a much narrower tip that can reach into the metal connectors of the plug to that controller.  If you have voltage going into that controller then it’s most likely that part.  And I would look on eBay for a used one  Maybe get lucky. But go through it all first. Pull the plug off the part to make sure all the connectors are not corroded as well. My feeling is you swap that part the bike will fire right up.