Quantcast

06 Suzuki King Quad electronic issues

VilRuS

Hello,

I have a 2006 King Quad that seems to run itself dead after a couple hours of use. I had it out riding my trails and after about 2 hours of continuous riding (only shut off once), it started spitting and sputtering and eventually died. The battery was too drained for the electric start but I was able to pull start it but it was really finicky, ie. Whenever I gave it gas it'd spit and sputter some more and it died two more times before getting it on the trailer. I'm assuming it's a bad stator and/regulator from everything I've read but am seeing if anyone has anything else to add? I used a multimeter and tested the battery. Mind you this battery is brand new and this was the first time I've used it. I had it do the same thing with the previous battery when I was ice fishing and used my portable jump started to get enough juice to get it on the trailer but that day I accidentally hit the switch for my led light bar and they were on for quite a while. I figured it was due to that draining that battery. Definitely seems that the electrical system isn't charging the battery or giving the additional voltage it should.

Machine off, fully charged, after hooked up to a tender it read: 12.5v

Machine idling: 12.4 and losing 0.01v about every 2min.

Revving: didn't increase the voltage at all just kept slowly draining.

I do have heated grips and an aftermarket led light bar on it. I've read those can cause a big amperage draw which can overheat the stator coils and cause a short or something to that affect.

Any advice is appreciated but I feel ill be buying a new stator and regulator.

Thanks!

1bc2ab655963c449639dfba87645e106.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, davefrombc said:

I'd start by  checking the wires between  stator and regulator. Then  try  a known  good regulator if  you have access to  one. Barring that ,  replace regulator  first. Then  if  still  no  go, replace the  stator.

I agree, check all your wiring. It sounds like its not charging at all. Great looking quad, I miss my king quad!

* Topic moved to Suzuki forum

• Like 1

First check the wiring for breaks in the wiring from the stator to the main wiring harness. Next use a multimeter to chech the resistance between the yellow wires coming from the stator. From one wire to the next it should have less than 2 ohms. A high or infinite resistance between two of the wires indicates an open in the stator wiring which is fixed by replacing the stator.

• Like 1

Google for:   service manual for 2006 Suzuki King Quad lta700.   There are a couple of websites where you can download a pdf file of the factory service manual.

Shows instructions for testing the stator (check AC Voltage between each lead from stator with engine running about 1200 to 1500 RPM.  Should be 70 to 90 Volts AC. between each of the 3 legs,

image.png.63a15cc6d72afc0748f18695ac4660ca.png

Also tells resistance (in ohms) between each of above (Yellow) leads ....WITH ENGINE OFF.  Also, should be open circuit (Infinite ohms) between each Yellow wire and GROUND.

Check connector,  Damn cheap connectors used on these quads.  High Amperages heats contacts-- and may burn connectors.  Heat discolors and may melt plastic connector body.

If wiring, stator, and connector are OK, then the rectifier/voltage regulator must be bad.  It can also be checked with a volt/ohm meter.  See Manual.

Regulators are cheap on ebay.  Part number is:   Suzuki 32800-47H00  (Number is revision to original part number)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Maybe too late to help, but I read about running a ground wire from the black/white wire from the regulator (make the connection near the regulator) to the negative battery connection.  Disconnect the battery first.  Do not cut the black/white wire.  Strip enough enough insulation to solder a ground wire to it and then wrap it in electrical tape.

My 2008 would read about 13V at idle (it has a battery maintainer) right after disconnecting the charger and starting it.  After splicing the above mentioned wire, the reading went to 14+ volts at idle.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. One of my grandfather's friends works on small engines and I had him go through it. It ended up being a bad regulator. He changed it out for me and everything is working great!

I'll see if I can close this thread so that no ones else replies but hopefully can read it if they're having the same issues!

Edited by VilRuS

9 hours ago, VilRuS said:

Thanks to everyone for their replies. One of my grandfather's friends works on small engines and I had him go through it. It ended up being a bad regulator. He changed it out for me and everything is working great!

I'll see if I can close this thread so that no ones else replies but hopefully can read it if they're having the same issues!

We don’t normally close any topics unless requested by the topic starter, so in this cases since you reported it and I see in your reply that you would like it closed, I’ll close it for you.

• Admin locked this topic