Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Kris Walters

89 fourtrax 300 2x4 no spark

New to the group,please be gentle lol.So I just purchased(traded my 73 sportster) for this 1989 Honda fourtrax 300 2wd.i got the quad with a no spark condition,thinking it would be an easy fix. I have tested the stator,pickup coil,coil,and inputs going too the CDI.so far everything has tested good.while doing all this I cleaned/repaired a few dirty connections and replaced the battery and cables.the kill switch is good and the ignition switch is also good.so I ordered 3 cdiand coil kits(because I have another Honda).Tonight I put the new CDI and coil on and tried to check for spark.No spark again.but about 5 seconds after letting loose of the starter button the CDI blew apart.what am I missing here?

No just one wire at a time with the connections.this thing had the no spark condition when I bought it,so I'm not sure what may have been done prior to my ownership of the quad.

Something sounds like you may have an electrical or wiring issue. I imagine it blew apart because of exceeding the maximum voltage.

I think over voltage is correct but I cannot figure out why.j have tested the wires going into the CDI and nothing exceeds battery voltage.

And yes I have checked the stator magnets and the piece on the outside of the flywheel that triggers the pickup coil.also hooked a test light to the bl/y wire from the pickup coil and the light pulsed while cranking.

Just to add more info.the previous owner stated he was riding the quad and it died.had it pulled home and began to diagnose it.the guy didn't have the proper equipment to do this so he removed the stator cover and took it to a shop for diagnosis.shop told him he had a bad stator,and tried to sell him a stator.when I got the quad I ordered a stator CDI and coil.both stators ohm correct as with the pickup/trigger coils.

Removed wire harness last night and took sheathing off.was very wet inside the sheathing,so today when I get a break I am going to look at all the multi joint connectors,to see if I can see corrosion or oxidation.

this might be a stupid question is the kill switch in the exact middle. on my 88 trx the vehicle will still crank just no spark if it is not. 

I think I may have found the problem.i have a bl,gr,and Rd wire going to the rectifier.the black wire(if I remember correctly) did not have 12v.

If that is right then the voltage stops at the rectifier.

So I can verify the:green(ground)

Red(constant possitive)

Black(switched possitive)

On the rectifier are good,however no continuity on the yellow wires from the other side of the rectifier.they also do not short too ground.could this be the issue?

IT RUNS!!!!! Like crap,but it makes spark and starts. The issue was the CDI,and the new one I ordered from eBay was the wrong one DC I think.went to a local bike shop explained the issue and showed the box from eBay,and he immediately told me I had the wrong CDI unit.thank you fellas for all the help and input.