Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

LMI

2005 KQ 700 Fan Not Spinning

Was using the quad the other day to shuttle wood from my pickup to my wood pile.  When the job was done I turned off the Quad and heard a bit of a racket from the front end.  When I got down underneath the sound seemed to be coming from the fan housing.  fan was moving in spurts and not quickly... much like a computer case fan that's had it's day.  What I know.

1. Temp sensor is ok, as the fan tries to activate
  2. fan is getting some voltage as it is attempting to spin.  When I first bought it used I tested the fan direct to battery and it was fine.
  3. The fan was working ok even not direct wired as I went on a couple of rides and when stopped and idling the fan did run
  4. Seems to be free spinning with my finger

read up in the manual and they require me to drop the rad.  now I'm not opposed to that as the rad has some damaged areas I want to try and straighten out.  But if I can get the fan working without, I can leave the rad as it is until next year.

Fan assembly is about 300 bills, any work arounds or alternatives?  I even thought large computer case brushless fan.  smaller ones are about $7 larger ones better quality probably far below the 300.  They run standard 12v DC.

Anything I should be doing before dropping the rad... other than check for obstructions even though it seems to spin, and trying to hardwire it to the battery again for a test to see if it acts the same?

So here is what I have.  I applied direct battery tonight and it made the same noise no spin.  removed the front rack, front body, and removed the fan assembly.  Once out the fan just fell off the shaft.  Looking at it briefly it just seems to have lost the nut.  however looking at it more closely, with the fan shaft hole seemingly non-circular and the cam like part of the motor shaft, I am beginning to think the whole thing should be cam'ed and that the CAM is stripped.

Anyone know how thisBikeBandit-Fan.JPG.796cbc0d719e2ff3d8817c6115f15175.JPG is supposed to look?  Can't tell from the Bike Bandit diagram.

Am I pooched here?  Do I have to replace the entire assembly?  As you can see it has already had some work done there is a rough cut rubber gasket under the motor casing.

Let me know what you guys think.

fan.jpg.5a3d7cf49a1da0358d64d61dadca9028.jpg

MOTR-Assem.jpg.563a71c641f43aaf40b877206994bdbd.jpgShaft.jpg.edeb9f36abc5fdbffac286c77409f079.jpgSHAFT-Fan.thumb.jpg.ecd03eacfe8b7ff11cbe52fd7739f032.jpg

So I've noodled on this a little and here is my plan of attack.

I'm going to drill a hole in the fan motor shaft perpendicular to the shaft and insert a steel pin.  Then I am going to notch the fan hub across the center hole.   Basically create a cam.  Then apply lock-tite and a nut.  The fan should be held securely between the perpendicular pin and the nut.  now when the shaft spins the fan has to spin with it due to the pin.  As long as the nut stays put, the ping shouldn't slip out of the notch.

It's similar to a spin cast fishing reel, I have some where there is a cross pin to keep the spool from spinning and the drag nut keeps it all together.

There is enough of a notch on the shaft to be able to grab it in a vice without wrecking the threads.  Then it is a matter of trying to free hand drill a perfectly perpendicular hole (I think we all know how that will turn out) on Lord knows how tough a steel shaft.  For the hub notch maybe a dremil or ort sort of rotating mini tool, or those little reciprocating saws not sure what they are called but blade slides back and forth like barber clippers.

worse case is I take a useless fan and shaft, and drill a no so perpendicular hole (can bend pin to compensate I guess) and the fan wobbles touch until I can adjust.

Good luck on your hole drilling. Helps to have a spotter to keep you square on it. You could try a steel roll pin for better security. Have you looked on ebay for the part you need? Usually good deals on used parts.

Needed to find a little time to execute the plan, so last weekend found all the bits I needed.   Here is what it looks like.  Pin hole went well.  my hack saw wasn't wide enough for the pin, so I resorted to a grinding disk mounted on a drill.  The pin groove you can see is a touch off center despite my efforts to keep it centered.  if it wobbles too much I always have a second chance, I can make another groove 90 to the first and try to better center it.  In the other pic you can see it all seated together.   A new problem surfaced.  the fan's hub collar, you can see it is a few mm off of the motor spindle.... when I took this out the fan only had a couple of mm of clearance on the rad side.  So I was a little concerned about that so I cut the hub groove a little deeper.... now unfortunately what happens is when I tighten up the nut for the fan motor shaft it bottoms out before snugging the fan on the pin and it is a little sloppy.  So my next plan is to mod one or 2 washers as spacers allowing the nut to tension up the fan.  If my rad clearance is insufficient, I think I can add some washers to the rad mount bolts to stand it off the rad a little more.

I don't even know if I am working with stock parts on this.  certainly the fan assembly mount frame is stock as it lines up and the fan motor appears to be stock as the mount holes line up to the frame, but I won't know if the fan is stock.  It may have been a replacement or something.

Wish me luck

hub.jpg

pin.jpg

pin-hub.jpg

Well... after all was said and done, I wasn't happy with the connection point.  Still too much play to be reliable...I figure the nut, even with lock tight, would end up spinning off.   I ended up welding the hub to the shaft... fek it.  nice smooth even spin now.  no wobble. no play.

Was visiting my brother over the weekend, an industrial mechanic, and brought the fan with me.  He had a MIG.  After a few wobbly pops, lots of discussion, trying a few things... the welder was a good choice.  if it breaks now... its going to blow apart into a million pieces.

I'll take in on a local run to give it a whirl before hunting season.  Opens in 2 weeks.  This chapter ends.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1987 Yamaha Big Bear 350 Grinding Noise Front Differential

Hi, Thanks for a newbie on this site ! i have grinding noise in my front differential. the front right wheel is turning and the left is try to turn but no movement and make sound like a gear broken. somebody have any idea ? not enough oil in diff ? thank

By qcm413, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • ATV Front End Alignment How To

Here's a good article and video on the basics when it comes to ATV front end wheel alignments. Source: http://www.cyclepedia.com/manuals/online/free/steering/atv-front-end-alignment/ When you hear the words front end alignment what comes to mind? Automobiles and potholes may be the first thought. There are other four wheeled vehicles out there running over a lot more than potholes. ATVs and side-by-sides live hard lives crawling over rocks, hauling loads, and crossing trails no other man-made vehicle would dare. One of the most basic services these vehicles call for is the adjustment of the toe-in of the front wheels. The Suzuki Eiger LT-F-400F calls for this to be checked initially after 100 mi. or 1 month of use, and every 600 mi. or 3 months for the rest of its operational life. Be it a Yamaha Banshee, 50cc mini-quad, or Kawasaki Mule this is a periodic maintenance item that is essentially the same no matter the scale of machine. Toe-in specifically refers to the amount the front wheels are pigeon toed. At axle level the center of the front tires are closer in the front than in the back. Most ATVs and side-by-sides call for the front wheels to be slightly pigeon toed to parallel. Keeping the toe-in aliment in specification and adjusted correctly is important for performance, safety, and tire wear. If the front end of the vehicle is in a toe-out position, duck footed, the tires will wear more rapidly and the vehicle will be inherently unstable. In addition, if the toe-in adjustment is in specification but it has been improperly adjusted it may put excess strain on the steering components.   The first step in checking the toe-in is to check the tire pressure. Make sure the tire pressure set correctly in all four tires. The air pressure in the front tires should be as close to the same as possible. Place the vehicle on a level surface and position the steering straight ahead. Be sure to check with the appropriate service manual to see if there are any extra specifics for the vehicle. The Suzuki Eiger for example calls for the vehicle to be weighted as to simulate the rider. Make a chalk mark on the front, center of each front tire at the height of the front axle. If available set up a toe gauge so that the pointers line up with the chalk marks. Measure the distance between the front chalk marks. Record this measurement as A. Rotate the front wheels 180° so the marks remain at axle height, but are now facing to the rear. Record the distance between the marks on the backside of the tires as B. Subtract the front measurement A from the rear measurement B to calculate the toe-in. If the number is negative you have a toe-out condition. Compare your toe-in figure with the factory specification found in the vehicles service manual. To adjust the toe-in loosen the lock nuts on the tie-rods. The outer tie-rod lock nuts often have left hand threads. Turn the tie rods with a wrench at the flats to change the toe-in. Be sure to evenly adjust the left and right tie-rods for proper alignment. Check with the service manual to see if there are any specifications for the length of the tire rods or the amount of threads that should be showing. If the tie-rods are not adjusted according to the OEM specifications the proper toe-in may be achieved, but the vehicle will not steer correctly and it could be at risk of breaking a tie-rod. When the adjustment is correct hold the tie-rod flats and tighten the lock nuts to specification against each side of the tie-rod. Take a slow test ride to make sure the steering functions correctly.   Check out this additional video on ATV wheel alignments:  

By Admin, in General ATV Discussion

• 31 replies
    • Big bear 350 front pulls down when pulling away

Hi my 350 tends to pull down on initial acceleration which is the opposite of the other quads I’ve driven (not too many) is there a problem with the front end ? Its sitting on Bear Claws if that has any effect ?

By Belmontie, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 6 replies
    • Lower front brake cables for Yamaha YFM225 Moto 4

Hi, as title suggests I am looking for 2 lower front brake cables for the Yamaha YFM225 Moto 4. Does anyone know where I can get them. Many thanks

By Justin James, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 3 replies
    • 1998 Kawasaki Bayou 4x4 clunking sound front end

I'm hearing a clunking sound from the front end.  It doesn't happen when I bounce the front end up and down on the shocks while the motor is off--only when driving.  There is a small tear in the CV boot on the axle so I planned on replacing the boot.  Could a bad axel cause a clunking noise when thottling forward?

By Achilles, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 3 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Chomp
      I've got a suzuki 250 4×4. I've gone there it almost entirely and it idles fine but when I give it gas it bogs down never winding tight. All it doesn't have is a breather box would a breather box cause this problem
    • By Chomp
      I' bought a suzuki from our local scrap yard I got it running yet when I give it gas it lugs down muffled both rear tires slant outward are that suppose to.  That act like bearings are bad I checked bearings and there goodbeari and there

LT400fw
    • By LMI
      The saga of the fan continues.
      The Pin attempt in the fan shaft failed.  I then moved on to trying to weld the fan hub to the fan shaft.  I took it for a run the weld broke.  Now it was truly F'ed.  To recap the dealer price, they want $400 + CND for a replacement fan assembly.
      I searched all sorts of after market places and no one carried one.  Ebay had some used ones but they were $120 USD + Conversion rate for something as old as what I have.  I went to Amazon and eventually settled on this.

amazon link

What I found... and was amazed... was that the fan mounted to the Suzuki fan assembly bracket.  I was prepared to manufacture my own mount conversions...  It also came with "Harpoon mounts" (nylon zip tie like things that go straight through the rad.   Anyways it mounted to the original bracket. It fit perfectly.  Cut the electrical plug off replaced it with the Suzuki... all good.  Let the quad heat up, thermo coupler kicked in the fan circuit, polarity was right... all was good....  Fan is under the circuit fuse rating.  

so I finally have a solid fan solution.  $34 CND vs $400+ CND
    • By davefrombc
      View File 1985-90 Suzuki LT230 / 250 service manual
      Service manual for the Suzuki  LT230 /  LT250 1985-90
      LT230GE
      LT-F230G
      LT230S
      LT250S

Submitter davefrombc Submitted 07/12/2017 Category Suzuki ATV