Quantcast

2005 KQ 700 Fan Not Spinning

LMI

Was using the quad the other day to shuttle wood from my pickup to my wood pile.  When the job was done I turned off the Quad and heard a bit of a racket from the front end.  When I got down underneath the sound seemed to be coming from the fan housing.  fan was moving in spurts and not quickly... much like a computer case fan that's had it's day.  What I know.

1. Temp sensor is ok, as the fan tries to activate
  2. fan is getting some voltage as it is attempting to spin.  When I first bought it used I tested the fan direct to battery and it was fine.
  3. The fan was working ok even not direct wired as I went on a couple of rides and when stopped and idling the fan did run
  4. Seems to be free spinning with my finger

read up in the manual and they require me to drop the rad.  now I'm not opposed to that as the rad has some damaged areas I want to try and straighten out.  But if I can get the fan working without, I can leave the rad as it is until next year.

Fan assembly is about 300 bills, any work arounds or alternatives?  I even thought large computer case brushless fan.  smaller ones are about $7 larger ones better quality probably far below the 300.  They run standard 12v DC.

Anything I should be doing before dropping the rad... other than check for obstructions even though it seems to spin, and trying to hardwire it to the battery again for a test to see if it acts the same?

So here is what I have.  I applied direct battery tonight and it made the same noise no spin.  removed the front rack, front body, and removed the fan assembly.  Once out the fan just fell off the shaft.  Looking at it briefly it just seems to have lost the nut.  however looking at it more closely, with the fan shaft hole seemingly non-circular and the cam like part of the motor shaft, I am beginning to think the whole thing should be cam'ed and that the CAM is stripped.

Anyone know how thisBikeBandit-Fan.JPG.796cbc0d719e2ff3d8817c6115f15175.JPG is supposed to look?  Can't tell from the Bike Bandit diagram.

Am I pooched here?  Do I have to replace the entire assembly?  As you can see it has already had some work done there is a rough cut rubber gasket under the motor casing.

Let me know what you guys think.

fan.jpg.5a3d7cf49a1da0358d64d61dadca9028.jpg

MOTR-Assem.jpg.563a71c641f43aaf40b877206994bdbd.jpgShaft.jpg.edeb9f36abc5fdbffac286c77409f079.jpgSHAFT-Fan.thumb.jpg.ecd03eacfe8b7ff11cbe52fd7739f032.jpg

So I've noodled on this a little and here is my plan of attack.

I'm going to drill a hole in the fan motor shaft perpendicular to the shaft and insert a steel pin.  Then I am going to notch the fan hub across the center hole.   Basically create a cam.  Then apply lock-tite and a nut.  The fan should be held securely between the perpendicular pin and the nut.  now when the shaft spins the fan has to spin with it due to the pin.  As long as the nut stays put, the ping shouldn't slip out of the notch.

It's similar to a spin cast fishing reel, I have some where there is a cross pin to keep the spool from spinning and the drag nut keeps it all together.

There is enough of a notch on the shaft to be able to grab it in a vice without wrecking the threads.  Then it is a matter of trying to free hand drill a perfectly perpendicular hole (I think we all know how that will turn out) on Lord knows how tough a steel shaft.  For the hub notch maybe a dremil or ort sort of rotating mini tool, or those little reciprocating saws not sure what they are called but blade slides back and forth like barber clippers.

worse case is I take a useless fan and shaft, and drill a no so perpendicular hole (can bend pin to compensate I guess) and the fan wobbles touch until I can adjust.

Needed to find a little time to execute the plan, so last weekend found all the bits I needed.   Here is what it looks like.  Pin hole went well.  my hack saw wasn't wide enough for the pin, so I resorted to a grinding disk mounted on a drill.  The pin groove you can see is a touch off center despite my efforts to keep it centered.  if it wobbles too much I always have a second chance, I can make another groove 90 to the first and try to better center it.  In the other pic you can see it all seated together.   A new problem surfaced.  the fan's hub collar, you can see it is a few mm off of the motor spindle.... when I took this out the fan only had a couple of mm of clearance on the rad side.  So I was a little concerned about that so I cut the hub groove a little deeper.... now unfortunately what happens is when I tighten up the nut for the fan motor shaft it bottoms out before snugging the fan on the pin and it is a little sloppy.  So my next plan is to mod one or 2 washers as spacers allowing the nut to tension up the fan.  If my rad clearance is insufficient, I think I can add some washers to the rad mount bolts to stand it off the rad a little more.

I don't even know if I am working with stock parts on this.  certainly the fan assembly mount frame is stock as it lines up and the fan motor appears to be stock as the mount holes line up to the frame, but I won't know if the fan is stock.  It may have been a replacement or something.

Wish me luck

hub.jpg

pin.jpg

pin-hub.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well... after all was said and done, I wasn't happy with the connection point.  Still too much play to be reliable...I figure the nut, even with lock tight, would end up spinning off.   I ended up welding the hub to the shaft... fek it.  nice smooth even spin now.  no wobble. no play.

Was visiting my brother over the weekend, an industrial mechanic, and brought the fan with me.  He had a MIG.  After a few wobbly pops, lots of discussion, trying a few things... the welder was a good choice.  if it breaks now... its going to blow apart into a million pieces.

I'll take in on a local run to give it a whirl before hunting season.  Opens in 2 weeks.  This chapter ends.