Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jerry Redhage

2003 Arctic Cat FIS 500 Steering Problem

Recently have had a hard right pull develop on the above vehicle. The problem started and then the unit was buried in a muddy field edge. After extracting the unit from the mud the problem was worse and Have done the following;
- Completely washed the unit of all mud and sand.
- Brakes were muddy and filled with sand so I cleaned and sanded rotors and replaced pads on left/right front and right rear and checked auxillary brake.
- Left axle had a torn outer boot and showed signs of wear so I took the left side apart and replaced the axle and reassembled.
- Topped off both front and rear differentials and added grease to the left upper ball joint.
- Burnished new brakes and unit would still pull hard to left especially when slowing down.
- Jacked front end up and put unit in 2 wheel drive and turned front wheels and they both seemed to be free and turned similarly and free wheeled without any noticeable problem.
- Brakes appear to be working properly and release when released.

Unit still pulls hard right and the tendency get worse as the vehicle is driven. Right CV axle boots are intact and not torn. I have not been able to break loose the axle nut on right side to check the outer bearing as of this time. If you slow down the unit will turn hard to the right unless you firmly prevent the handle bars from turning. No apparent noises from from end except slight scuffing of brake pads on rotors when you spin the tires in 2WD drive and elevated off the ground.

Any suggestions on what to check next would be appreciated.

Jerry Redhage

First, here is a link for the service manual for your machine

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic-Cat-ATV-Repair-and-Service-Manuals/Arctic-Cat-2003-ATV-Service-Manual/

One of the sections will explain how to check the steering, tie rods, and castor.

First thing to do is check the front tire pressures. If one tire is low, the quad will want to pull in that direction.

Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By CJ River Rider
      Anybody know whatever happened to this?
    • By Zach Jump
      Hello...first post.
      Have a problem I have not been able to figure out.  
      While back the fuel pump went out...replaced it.  I got maybe 30 minutes..maybe less before the new one went out.
      Replaced it again...same thing. Now I am sitting with two more new fuel pumps in reserve but do not want to experiment and blow out another until I have a clue of what could be wrong.
      Have checked electrical...seems to be fine but I am no expert. Also the fuse is just fine.
    • By Aaron Skinner
      Hi All...
      ok ive brought my son a Apache 100cc quad bike ans it seems to have a spark issue..
      When i got it i couldnt get a spark then i messed around with it and got a spark and got it running, then it just died after 30 mins, now no spark so i replaced spark plug, ignition coil, cdi, ignition switch, stator and regulator and got a spark again now its gone again? 
      Ive check the wiring to see if any loose connectors, cant start by electric start because the starter clutch is broken so can only kick start it and thats a pain as it sometimes slips ( needs new teeth on it)
      the kill switch us 2 wires that are just loose no switch anymore as it broken and the other wires i think are for the lights and the electric start lever which is now broke
      Im crap with electrics so not sure how to trace and test
      also my new stator has 6 wires instead of 5 so i am unsure how to wire it, see pictures of mine the correct one and the other off ebay which they say to re-wire
      any help with this guys?

• By angellonewolf
      Ok got a quad if a mate that's helped me out a few times said I look at it for him

Been sat for 6 years in a barn checked spark and also changed the spark plug after a sonic clean of the carb started and started easy but when you use the throttle it bogs and near dies

Now this unit has 2 tanks one for oil and one for fuel for the moment I'm bypassing the 2 tanks and using only a fuel mix direct in to the carb could this be causing the problem ?

I've done a second clean and refitted and still the same even as the air screw was near fully in it was said from watching a few vids that is was starving of fuel so I've increased the pin on the throttle up a notch but still no difference

There is not much adjustments on the carb so assume there's not much to go wrong but I was going to buy another carb but I can't find the right one here a pic of the actual carb
    • By JacobSlabach
      got a big bear I'm working on for a guy and it was flooding gas out into the air box, but still running.  I pulled the carb and its beat up just like his other bike I worked on for him (the bayou 220).  Its a weird carb tho:  the throttle comes in at two locations.  it has a plunger and a butterfly.  Is this necessary and could I just switch to a butterfly carb?  The problem with it is it has a broken float fork (the metal piece that holds the float pivot in place.  I'm assuming it is causing the flooding.  also the rest of the carb is well worn out and most of the screws are stripped telling me that it has been fiddled with too much by someone who didnt know what they were doing.  Also, the oil temp light is turns when key is turned and then goes off after a second- dont know if thats supposed to happen or not.