Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Frank Angerano

Neutral safety switch

I’m looking for any member that may be familiar with the neutral safety switch on this bike.   

I picked up a bayou 220 that I found sitting in a shed. Nice looking bike the guy said it would not start one day and put it away and never touched it again.  

So it turns out the neutral safety switch is bad.  I jumped it out and the bike fired up and runs good.  

I’m more then capable of the work in changing it but this thing is buried pretty good. I’m curious if anyone has done the switch replacement before? 

I attached some pics to see.

picture 1 is the side view you can see the green and red wires going into the cover. 

Pic 2 shows looking down on the drive shaft coming out of that cover.  That is not a simple cover you just pull off. 

Im wondering how deep and how much shit has to come off like the drive shaft etc for this switch  to be replaced. 

So if any of the QC members have done this switch I’m looking for any input with regard to changing it.  

Thanks. 

AE98911C-F389-41A3-AF0C-66CC30D5BD8B.jpeg

5BF6E4F8-BFC5-455B-82D2-282093E6F69A.jpeg

It's pretty ignorant for Kaw to put that switch where they did but....

You'll have to unbolt the swingarm and shocks then pull the swingarm back enough to disengage the driveshaft.  Then unbolt the bevel gear case.  I think there's seven bolts on it. Then you can change the switch.  It took me a couple hours the first time.

KLF250_0482.jpg

• Like 1

Oh...don't forget to get a bevel gear case gasket when you get your switch.  That should be all you need.

• Like 1

Outstanding @wanrep thank you and holy shit that sucks. I had a feeling I i was going to have to tear into it.   I would say the hell with it and leave it be but that’s not me. Ok then first order of business is the gaskets and switch.  Where did you pick the switch up? 

I wonder what actually fails in that switch.  

Why not just splice it and leave it together. All you need is a soldering iron and shrink tube

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's not like you hitting the start button without hitting the clutch.

• Like 1

I hear ya @06kfx440 but this bike is for my youngest. I need it to be right for him and I have it all apart (plastics off) just to clean it up so might as well get into it before they all go back together.  It’s also the reverse light as well  the switch does both.  The bike is also in excellent condition so I feel it’s worth the effort. 

Btw @06kfx440 wait till you see my next few posts   I picked up a mint Mojave in a barn that was just sitting there. Dirt cheap  put it in my other garage until I wrap this one up. Going to put it up on the forum in the next two weeks or so.  I have no need for it as it’s not my type of bike but it was so clean I couldn’t say no! Those two stroke days are over. But my oldest boy is in love 😍 and begging me to keep it. I’m starting  to think I have a real problem! It’s every day I’m looking for a new old bike! 

This is the bayou that I picked up below. 

The previous owner an older gentleman who loved to hunt owned a body shop and had the plastics sprayed in a booth jet black. 

I took the big seat off the back and stripped it down to the wheels and frame right now as a usual thing I do whenever I pick a bike up. 

Should be pretty sweet when it’s wraped up!

EA7EF70A-AF54-44A9-AB89-4262418D3810.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Outstanding @wanrep thank you and holy shit that sucks. I had a feeling I i was going to have to tear into it.   I would say the hell with it and leave it be but that’s not me. Ok then first order of business is the gaskets and switch.  Where did you pick the switch up? 

I wonder what actually fails in that switch.  

I got the switch off Ebay.

There's a piece on the end of the shift drum that makes contact with the switch. Make sure it turns when you shift gears. If not, you're really screwed cuz you'll have to get into the transmission to replace it. When you pull the switch out, take a pair of needle nose pliers and short the 2 contacts on the switch and see if the neutral light comes on.

• Like 1

Can't wait Frank. I have a few parts from a Mojave if you need them. I have the service manual for that quad too. Let me know if you need something.

• Like 1

@wanrep ugh I hope that’s not the case here. I’m hoping Its only in the switch.  

I looked at the manual and correct me if I’m wrong. The green wire is the neutral safety interlock.  It is shown on the drawing that when the bike is in neutral the green wire is grounded.  That brings in the relay wich has a brown +12 positive wire on one side of the relay and the green when in neutral sends the -12 negative allowing relay to engage and the two black wires in the same relay to make contact completing the ignition circuit/control panel.  

I grounded the green wire and the relay comes right in allowing the bike to crank/fire up. I ground the red wire and the reverse light indicator comes on so the red does the same thing except it’s for the reverse/light indicator. 

Make sense ? 

This is a manual to a bigger bike but the harness is the same.  

10381741-25BB-4F2E-9276-3854CB5B4307.png

I checked my wiring diagram for the 220 and you are correct. That switch provides the ground for the starter relay/neutral light AND the reverse light.

• Like 1

@wanrep hey quick question. I’m about to pull the trigger on the parts. The bevel gear cover gasket... what about where the rear drive shaft slips out of the bevel gear housing. It looks like there is a gasket on the back ? 

If I remember correctly, the driveshaft just slips off the bevel gear shaft. Just have to loosen the clamp on the boot. No need to take anything apart on the bevel gear housing.  Just remove it from the engine.

It's been a while since I did this so I checked the SM and you don't have to worry about getting into the tranny. The part on the end of the shift drum is accessible when you take the switch off.  I'd check that part first before you order any parts. It's possible that the contact pin on that part is stuck. Kaw calls that part reverse stopper.

KLF250_0486.jpg

KLF250_0488.jpg

• Like 1

@wanrep so here’s a stupid question.  I got some free time today 🤫! The bevel gear case ? The shifter shaft doesn’t come out as well with the cover ? Because the way I’m looking at it now there is no way that case cover can come off with the shifter rod and not hit the frame.  

4510EB00-AFAF-4D10-B8C5-F4C945F8AFD1.jpeg

7295DE93-22D9-4BB6-86D8-DE2EFCE7304E.jpeg

Ugh I’m thinking this engine has to be pulled and that sucks! Means I pulled the rear off for no reason I hope. And if so Kawasaki sucks for this design! 

• Like 1

That looks to be the case Frank. Kawa suck for design. You may be able to unbolt the mounts and slide it forward to where you need it.

Ugh FML! Thanks brother. 

I just went back and looked at the pics from wanrep and it shows the engine on some sort of wood bench.  Oh well. Wasted my time dropping the rear out I guess. 

What better way than to take it apart and make sure it's right and tight. I can't tell you how many times people think it's okay and it's all sorts of messed up.

Believer it or not I’m so surprised how clean and perfect this bike is.  That’s the only reason I’m going after this switch.  If this bike was a beat up bike I would not do all this. 

Update; so I got the bevel gear cover off exposing the switch.  The engine had to be unbolted and slid forward.  Turns out it’s the pin on the reverse stopper that’s bad.  The pin is spring loaded and factory pressed into that part and has collapsed not pushing the contact pin out so no fixing the part. Have to buy a new one.  Hopefully it won’t be hard to find.

You can see by the pics it’s stuck inside the part and not pushing out. When I turn it over the part sticks out   

219777E5-006A-4E14-8E8B-244211C2CE9A.jpeg

A774EDFC-E8E4-40AB-9F8F-2A77758B856B.jpeg

AB7A6746-E61C-4062-8E63-4701F8DF07DC.jpeg

1E00857D-24DD-4B0F-93C6-3AD9C1745EE6.jpeg

Good shit bro. They should have that part available. Try Rocky mountain or motosport

Thanks @06kfx440 I found one on eBay new.  Should have it by Wednesday.  Sucks bc I would have had this done today !  What I don’t understand is how the part goes bad.  Is just a simple brush type part that I find strange to go bad.  It’s a small amount of pressure as well. But anyway it is what it is.  

• Like 1

At least the engine was able to move to where you needed it to get the cover off. The easy part is assembly. You took it off so you know how it goes back together.

• Like 1

True. I was going to just yank the engine but I just got done putting the front plastic on last week.  So the part will be her Wednesday and maybe get after it Thursday