Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Neutral safety switch

I’m looking for any member that may be familiar with the neutral safety switch on this bike.   

I picked up a bayou 220 that I found sitting in a shed. Nice looking bike the guy said it would not start one day and put it away and never touched it again.  

So it turns out the neutral safety switch is bad.  I jumped it out and the bike fired up and runs good.  

I’m more then capable of the work in changing it but this thing is buried pretty good. I’m curious if anyone has done the switch replacement before? 

I attached some pics to see.

picture 1 is the side view you can see the green and red wires going into the cover

Pic 2 shows looking down on the drive shaft coming out of that cover.  That is not a simple cover you just pull off. 

Im wondering how deep and how much sh** has to come off like the drive shaft etc for this switch  to be replaced. 

So if any of the QC members have done this switch I’m looking for any input with regard to changing it.  

Thanks. 

AE98911C-F389-41A3-AF0C-66CC30D5BD8B.jpeg

5BF6E4F8-BFC5-455B-82D2-282093E6F69A.jpeg

It's pretty ignorant for Kaw to put that switch where they did but....

You'll have to unbolt the swingarm and shocks then pull the swingarm back enough to disengage the driveshaft.  Then unbolt the bevel gear case.  I think there's seven bolts on it. Then you can change the switch.  It took me a couple hours the first time.

KLF250_0482.jpg

• Like 1

Outstanding @wanrep thank you and holy sh** that sucks. I had a feeling I i was going to have to tear into it.   I would say the hell with it and leave it be but that’s not me. Ok then first order of business is the gaskets and switch.  Where did you pick the switch up? 

I wonder what actually fails in that switch.  

I hear ya @06kfx440 but this bike is for my youngest. I need it to be right for him and I have it all apart (plastics off) just to clean it up so might as well get into it before they all go back together.  It’s also the reverse light as well  the switch does both.  The bike is also in excellent condition so I feel it’s worth the effort. 

Btw @06kfx440 wait till you see my next few posts   I picked up a mint Mojave in a barn that was just sitting there. Dirt cheap  put it in my other garage until I wrap this one up. Going to put it up on the forum in the next two weeks or so.  I have no need for it as it’s not my type of bike but it was so clean I couldn’t say no! Those two stroke days are over. But my oldest boy is in love 😍 and begging me to keep it. I’m starting  to think I have a real problem! It’s every day I’m looking for a new old bike! 

This is the bayou that I picked up below. 

The previous owner an older gentleman who loved to hunt owned a body shop and had the plastics sprayed in a booth jet black. 

I took the big seat off the back and stripped it down to the wheels and frame right now as a usual thing I do whenever I pick a bike up. 

Should be pretty sweet when it’s wraped up!

EA7EF70A-AF54-44A9-AB89-4262418D3810.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Outstanding @wanrep thank you and holy sh** that sucks. I had a feeling I i was going to have to tear into it.   I would say the hell with it and leave it be but that’s not me. Ok then first order of business is the gaskets and switch.  Where did you pick the switch up? 

I wonder what actually fails in that switch.  

I got the switch off Ebay.

There's a piece on the end of the shift drum that makes contact with the switch. Make sure it turns when you shift gears. If not, you're really screwed cuz you'll have to get into the transmission to replace it. When you pull the switch out, take a pair of needle nose pliers and short the 2 contacts on the switch and see if the neutral light comes on.

• Like 1

@wanrep ugh I hope that’s not the case here. I’m hoping Its only in the switch.  

I looked at the manual and correct me if I’m wrong. The green wire is the neutral safety interlock.  It is shown on the drawing that when the bike is in neutral the green wire is grounded.  That brings in the relay wich has a brown +12 positive wire on one side of the relay and the green when in neutral sends the -12 negative allowing relay to engage and the two black wires in the same relay to make contact completing the ignition circuit/control panel.  

I grounded the green wire and the relay comes right in allowing the bike to crank/fire up. I ground the red wire and the reverse light indicator comes on so the red does the same thing except it’s for the reverse/light indicator. 

Make sense ? 

This is a manual to a bigger bike but the harness is the same.  

10381741-25BB-4F2E-9276-3854CB5B4307.png

If I remember correctly, the driveshaft just slips off the bevel gear shaft. Just have to loosen the clamp on the boot. No need to take anything apart on the bevel gear housing.  Just remove it from the engine.

It's been a while since I did this so I checked the SM and you don't have to worry about getting into the tranny. The part on the end of the shift drum is accessible when you take the switch off.  I'd check that part first before you order any parts. It's possible that the contact pin on that part is stuck. Kaw calls that part reverse stopper.

KLF250_0486.jpg

KLF250_0488.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@wanrep so here’s a stupid question.  I got some free time today 🤫! The bevel gear case ? The shifter shaft doesn’t come out as well with the cover ? Because the way I’m looking at it now there is no way that case cover can come off with the shifter rod and not hit the frame.  

4510EB00-AFAF-4D10-B8C5-F4C945F8AFD1.jpeg

7295DE93-22D9-4BB6-86D8-DE2EFCE7304E.jpeg

Ugh I’m thinking this engine has to be pulled and that sucks! Means I pulled the rear off for no reason I hope. And if so Kawasaki sucks for this design! 

• Like 1

Update; so I got the bevel gear cover off exposing the switch.  The engine had to be unbolted and slid forward.  Turns out it’s the pin on the reverse stopper that’s bad.  The pin is spring loaded and factory pressed into that part and has collapsed not pushing the contact pin out so no fixing the part. Have to buy a new one.  Hopefully it won’t be hard to find.

You can see by the pics it’s stuck inside the part and not pushing out. When I turn it over the part sticks out   

219777E5-006A-4E14-8E8B-244211C2CE9A.jpeg

A774EDFC-E8E4-40AB-9F8F-2A77758B856B.jpeg

AB7A6746-E61C-4062-8E63-4701F8DF07DC.jpeg

1E00857D-24DD-4B0F-93C6-3AD9C1745EE6.jpeg

Thanks @06kfx440 I found one on eBay new.  Should have it by Wednesday.  Sucks bc I would have had this done today !  What I don’t understand is how the part goes bad.  Is just a simple brush type part that I find strange to go bad.  It’s a small amount of pressure as well. But anyway it is what it is.  

• Like 1

I've been out of commission with health issues, but I was able to take the motor out of my 220 and broke most of it down. They ran it out of oil and the bearing in the connecting rod to crank siezed. I gotta see if I can find new parts. Not sure the extent of the damage yet though. I haven't got the crank out yet. I was also surprised how good condition everything is except for the siezed bearing. I'm hoping I can afford to fix it but if not I'm gonna convert it to a side by side home-made golf cart and find another shaft drive water-cooled 500cc or so. That's a really sweet looking 220 you got Frank. Your kid is gonna love it!

Thanks @Rick Shropshire It’s a good bike I picked up sitting in a shed.  It’s in excellent condition aside from the dirt and a little rust. The last owner put it away due to his age and the bike would not start any longer.   Hence the neutral safety switch replacement.  I jumped the switch out and the engine runs excellent 

Honestly I’m 50/50 on keeping it.   I guess I will have to see how it turns out and make a decision.  But I’m prob leaning in the direction of a 4x4 for him. So I will run it after it’s done for a bit and prob put it up for sale along with a Mojave that I picked up and will be posting soon. Combined sale should leave me more then enough to buy a nice 4x4 for him.   

Hope your feeling better.   

• Like 1

im trying to not get hospitalized, i got my  new/used multi-process welder fixed up and all put together, got steel, and I want to start doing the mods on the honda shadow so I can get that  atv axle mounted.  That bike is one heavy beast to move around without wheels on it. hahaha.  aand I need the space to put the lift and bigger wheels on my g1 golf cart and the beast honda shadow is in the way! I like those "dont run, been sitting in the shed" deals. Thats how I got my G1 golf cart. A clip popped off one of the linkages and the linkage popped loose from the carb. I fixed that and had to find roller wheels. It runs great, just looks rough at the moment. Itll look tough when I get done with it. Pics for sure when I can.

So the new part has  arrived! $13.00 bucks and it’s oem so that’s good.   Take a look at the pics and you can see the projection of the metal tab that’s spring loaded coming out of the reverse cam.  That should surely reach the electronic pick ups on the neutral safety and reverse switch.  I’m off to go get some beer and head to the garage! Pics and the end result coming soon! Maybe have it done by the weekend.  Only a few hours each day to get this done.  

D454EB4D-A18A-4D0F-B0AB-AAE93E7874CB.jpeg

73BE6DF3-927F-4BD2-BA02-FA50BBE2767F.jpeg

5739E6C3-8E5D-4F20-BEA4-3AB3D12B7C97.jpeg