Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2005 Yamaha Bruin 250 2wd No Spark

BradF80

Hello all,

I registered on this site because I just purchased a new to me 2005 Yamaha Bruin 250 2wd. This seems to be the only place to get diagrams so I'm hoping I can download them sooner or later. The guy I bought it from said it had no spark. And it truly does not have spark...lol

I haven't looked into much on it. Looks like he replaced the ignition switch and the stator. I'm thinking CDI box but I want to check the coil first.

I look forward to helping others out on the electrical end of the world. I am an ASE certified automotive electrical technician. If it's 12v, I can usually figure it out.

Working on this right now. I will figure it out soon enough but I figured I would ask in here in case someone has a suggestion.

I just purchased a 2005 Bruin 250 2wd. It has no spark. They replacement the stator and the ignition switch. Is the CDI box a common failure on these machines?

The cdi is definitely a factor.  If it gets moisture in it or damaged it’s pretty much done.  Have you looked at the entire wiring of the bike? Kill switches, safety switches etc.  Test the stator to make sure that it’s good. Even though it’s new.  Also the ignition coil.  This can be done by referring to the manual.  You need an electrical tester with an ohms setting on it.  

Then after that is done maybe consider a new cdi.  

lol I pretty much joined for the same reason; to 'unlock cheat codes' for a Kawasaki. Picked mine up on the cheap due to carb problems, but it's also sat for 9 months and the battery needs charged. As a former auto mechanic myself, I'm pretty sure I know how to fix it, but was hoping to score a service manual before I tear into it. 

Good luck on your project; looks like you're on the right path. I'd be checking the coil first as well.

• Admin changed the title to 2005 Yamaha Bruin 250 2wd No Spark

Haha thanks!

I dug into it this afternoon. Looks like the secondary circuit on the coil is open so I ordered one of those first. The CDI box is interested though, I'm not getting a "positive" pulse from it to the coil. I see a ground pulse though. Isn't the CDI supposed to send a 12v signal? The shop manual didn't offer much insight on how the circuit works lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well after replacing the Ignition coil I still didn't have pulse for spark.  I bought a DVA adapter for my multimeter and checked the stator circuit going to the CDI. The CDI had signal coming in, power, and ground. 

So the CDI was presumably bad. I went ahead and replaced it and got spark back. She's been sitting for who knows how many years but now she runs!

Edited by BradF80