Quantcast

New here 1986 Honda TRX70

jacked_72

Greetings,

I'm new here and just picked up a 1986 TRX70.  It is not all original or complete and I'm trying to just get some information that I haven't been able to find on various searches.

My first question is the frame.  It is red.  Every other frame I've seen is black.  I suppose someone could have painted it, but I don't see any black under the red paint and the quality of the paint seems far too good to be a garage rattle can job.  Were any of the TRX 70 frames red?  I thought it might have been stolen and painted, but I finally found the vin and don't think that is the case.

Also, I have a Keihin (japan) carb on it, but I think its the wrong carb -- at least it doesn't look like the one in the FSM.  This one does not have the sediment bowl on the petcock.  It has PB cast into the carb housing.  It looks more like the carbs from an earlier ATC70, which I suppose it could be.  Its been gotten into and part of the intake is cracked where it bolts to the carb.  The centers on the carb mounting bolts are 48mm, not 42mm.  What size came on the TRX70 originally?  I was looking at the cheapie Chinese carbs, and all the ones for the TRX70 seem to have the petcock and choke on the right side.  The one that is there now has them  on the left.

The pull start has been removed down to the stator.  What would be involved with getting something that would work to pull start the engine?  

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20181202_164119_resized_20181204_013953979.jpg

Wow nice little find there.  I’ve never seen a red frame on the Honda’s. So my guess it’s been sprayed.  An sprayed by someone who knows what they were doing I would assume.  You can buy a new seat cover and prob find the pull start on eBay but I bet that pull start will be at least $200 !!!😢 

As for the carb the kehien carb sounds correct for that bike since they were famous for the gas valve built right into the carburetor but not 100% sure but again maybe eBay for the manifold and the carb used ? 

As for the faded plastics if you are careful and know how to use a heat gun you can bring the plastics back to the original  red. But try a small spot first.  

A lot of people look for that type of bike to restore as well as the three wheelers.  

Depends on how much you want to put into it I guess is the question now. 

Thanks for the reply.  I've come to the conclusion the pull start is going to be expensive!  Had I known this was a 2 year production run, I probably wouldn't have gotten it, but its the right size for our grandson.  It was advertised as a 50cc, but I see the 72cc cast into the cylinder.  All the badging and stickers are gone.  They only think that I saw that actually said Honda was the key.   My bet is that someone has gone through it before , painted the frame (like you said) and replaced the plastic.  The pictures of the OEM plastic I've seen has a warning cast into it on the left front fender.  This one is smooth.

I figured out the carb that's on it.  Its a PB37B which appears to have been used in a 1980 CT70 bike.  The jetting is different from the stock carb on the TRX70, which appears  to be a PB86A.   I may be in for some rejetting unless someone has done that already.  Plug is black, so I'm thinking it had been running rich.  

Def rich if it’s black but I think it’s only going to need to be taken apart and cleaned and properly adjusted on the air fuel screw. But make sure that screw is in good shape. A lot of them over time have the tip bent or heavily scratched.  But I think that carb should be ok on that bike.  

As far as the bike being worked on yes and it was pretty extensive if the frame was painted which means the bike was completely  taken apart.   Just have to hope it was done by someone that knows what they were doing.  

Keep constantly looking on eBay. A pull start will pop up one day for the right price.  And heck one of the memebers here may even stumble across one of them.  

You will also find the seat cover on eBay as well. 

Good luck with the bike. 

• Admin changed the title to New here 1986 Honda TRX70