Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

technofarmer

transmission fluid change 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500

Hi there, i've been trying once in a while for the last couple weeks to remove the fill plug on the transmission of my 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500.  The reason i try to get the fill plug out first is so that i can fill if it by any chance the the drain plug does come out i can refill it with oil.   The allen socket and wrench both keep slipping inside the bolt head, so what advice does anyone have?    Also if nothing works, can you think of any reason not to tip it over and refill it through the drain plug?    Thanks.   

I had this situation happen. The oil fill plug was an allen socket that stripped. So what I did and it may work for you.  First I ordered a new one.  Then I warmed the engine up and had a compound called  “JB weld”. It’s metal repair compound.  I mixed it good and put it in the allen key hole and put the socket into the allen hole as well.  It took 10 min to set up at best so you have to be quick. I let it sit for 15 min and put the socket driver on and spin it out.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

I had this situation happen. The oil fill plug was an allen socket that stripped. So what I did and it may work for you.  First I ordered a new one.  Then I warmed the engine up and had a compound called  “JB weld”. It’s metal repair compound.  I mixed it good and put it in the allen key hole and put the socket into the allen hole as well.  It took 10 min to set up at best so you have to be quick. I let it sit for 15 min and put the socket driver on and spin it out.   

sweeeet fix!

• Like 1

Thanks for the help Mr Angerano.  Next time I'll use JB Weld.  This morning my nephew said he would help me, so i rode a couple miles down the road and back, then after draining the transmission,  we put cinder blocks down to keep it from rolling over too far, had it perfectly balanced leaning over and put a quart of new Polaris brand oil in the drain hole and then put the plug back in and dropped it. Thank God for this going well with no injuries, and i thank you and my nephew as well. This shouldn't have been so monumental but Polaris didn't exactly give the best fill plug either.  

You are welcome. That’s one way to do it ! Thank god mine came out, I also had a  Polaris Phoenix 200 I recently sold had a similar plug with the slice to remove with a big screwdriver and did the same thing.  Not a smart design.