Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ajmboy

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Frozen Shifter

This is more of an informational fix I wanted to share..

My Grizzly has been getting harder and harder to shift this winter and today was completely stuck and I needed to plow the few inches that came down this morning. First thought...oh no, tranny...but it’s winter and maybe it’s iced up. I pulled off the plastic to see what was going on and indeed I did find the drain tube iced up. 

I took the blow dryer out and de-iced it. Quick fix, I never really thought about the shifter drain tube icing up before, shifts like new!

Yamaha Grizzly Frozen Shifter

Grizzly Frozen Shifter

Yamaha Grizzly Stuck Shifter

FA04AC3B-4FB0-4764-AFD9-1492F5CC790B.MOV

• Like 1

That’s a great find and fix. Thank goodness not a tranny! What’s the moisture from, condensation? And where does that line go to ? 

just wondering @Ajmboy,  do you do much with polaris, and if so, how do you like/dislike each brand of bike? (the utility model ex:  Sportman or magnum vs grizzly or kodiak)  

7 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

That’s a great find and fix. Thank goodness not a tranny! What’s the moisture from, condensation? And where does that line go to ? 

You know I'm not sure really, I'm assuming snow got in there and I left it out in the rain a few times before the winter. That line is just a drain and has a plug at the end of it. I think its just there to hold any water/condensation or if you submerge it to drain the shifter box I guess. But that tube had ice in it because the quad sits in my garage outside with no heat. Yeah I'm glad it wasn't a major issue, I need this thing to keep going until I can get a new quad down the road. 💵

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacobSlabach said:

just wondering @Ajmboy,  do you do much with polaris, and if so, how do you like/dislike each brand of bike? (the utility model ex:  Sportman or magnum vs grizzly or kodiak)  

Honestly, I don't do anything with polaris and I used to be a bit turned off by polaris atvs in general because two of my buddies had an Xplorer and Sportsman 600 I think and although nice quads, they just couldn't take the beating our grizzlys, hondas, kodiak, and king quads could. Both of them had issues with front suspension and axles I recall and one had a speedo issue. But its not really fair because that was like 10 years ago and today they seem much better. I haven't ridden one in a while so I can't really give you an opinion.  I'm biased because I've only owned Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha ATVs like Bayou, Warrior, Kodiak, King Quad, and Grizzly. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.