Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1988 Suzuki 250r Quad Racer Seized

Wes Camp

So I bought an 88 qaudracer real nice bike fired up 2-3 kick everytime. When I bought it the brake calipers were not on the bike the guy gave them to me In a box with parts to rebuild. So I HAVnt ever really rode the bike except a quick run testing gears when I bought and I started it and drove in yard not getting out of 3rd due to no brakes. I put it in garage turned it off. The following weekend I put brakes on and go to kick it and it’s seized. I did put it in high gear and rocked it back and forth and got it to kick a couple times. But has seized back up. Any ideas??? Could it be a kicker malfunction??

Edited by Admin
Added full atv info and issue to topic title. Moved to Suzuki ATV forum.

• Admin changed the title to 1988 Suzuki 250r Quad Racer Seized

Welcome to Quadcrazy @Wes Camp that sucks about the engine locking up. 

You should be careful about trying to rock the bike or to keep trying to kick start it. You could do more damage then good.  Your piston and rings may have went.

I would start by double checking the basic stuff first like the kick starter making sure nothings  stopping that. Then move to pulling the plug and see if the engine spins with the plug out. Don’t force it when trying that . 

If not then you may want to pull the head and cylinder off and inspect the piston and rings along with rotating the  crank to see if the main bearing is ok.  My guess is a piston and rings is needed. But just hope it didn’t damage the cylinder walls.   If you pull the cylinder and see a chunk of the piston missing then there you go.  

• Thanks 1

check the oil.  I had a bike that the guy said it ran perfect before he sat it outside three years ago, engine was half locked (popped lose and then spun like it should), but over those three years the bike accumulated water in the crankcase, everything was rusted.  Obviously your's isn't this bad because its running, BUT I would check the oil (this means drain it- its hard unless you're a pro to tell if there's water just by the dip stick), if its good and the oil is fresh, I would just pour it back in, if not, then I would change it.  But say there is enough water to lock up your piston, catch it now and save your engine!

and water can get in all kinds of ways from condensation to being stored outside to the quad being sunk...

• 3 weeks later...

Well yes and no.   The piston obviously blew and blasted the cylinder walls.   If it’s not to bad you can bore it out and go a little bigger on the piston.  Going to need a new jet kit for the carburetor as well.  

Now, if the cylinder is shot then you can possibly pick up a used cylinder maybe from eBay and go that route.   Or buy an aftermarket cylinder set up.  

The metal parts that came off the piston went into the crank case. They can be flushed out.  Also you have to check the main crank and bearing for play. 

Have you noticed anything else that’s possibly damaged as well? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...