Quantcast

All the parts are in boxes, need to build from the frame up

So I have a 2003 Polaris Predator 500 completely built and running.  And then I have a 2004 Polaris Predator 500 completely disassembled.  I've got the suspension, handle bars, steering and bottom of the motor on the brand new frame (previous frame was totaled, that's why it's disassembled).  Everything else is in boxes.

I've done all sorts of repairs on quads, ATVs, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, boats, cars...was a mechanic by profession in the 80's and wrenching my entire life.  Done top end rebuilds on multiple bikes over the years.  But I've never put a box of parts together like this.

It shouldn't be hard as I have a running bike to look at and I have the factory service manual as well as a print of the polaris parts manuals.  My question is in the best order to put this thing together.  I can't locate a set of instructions to follow.  I can figure it out without instructions but I find that instruction guides save me a lot of time.  I'd like to get this thing running by June and it will be an after work, weekends project.

Any pointers on the order of assembly...where to start...would be highly appreciated.

Sounds  like a fun project.   I like to start with a rolling frame, suspension in place and all steering components as well.  After that it’s all motor work.  Soup to nuts with the carburetor, exhaust and drive train in place.  Fill with required fluids and check for leaks. Don’t be afraid to use thread lock as you go.  It really helps to prevent bolts from coming loose. 

I like to clean up all the major tools wipe everything down good and its on to the wiring. After the wiring is complete I like to do a quick check to see there is spark and the starter is working with the push button etc.   

After that it’s all about the brakes and controls on the handle bars and foot pegs, shifters and brake pedal.

Once all that’s good to go the. The gas tank, plastics and wrap the last few details up test the lights and you should be good to go.  

If it all goes well and rides proper go back over the bike after a few rides one more time checking for any loose items, bolts screws etc.  

good luck.  

2 hours ago, JacobSlabach said:

I'll buy it off you 🤘:twitsy:.  jk what @Frank Angerano is exactly what I would do- in that order.  I am always hesitant to trust a 'bike in a box' becuase it's easy to lose/brake parts, but if its all there, go for it!  Is the engine in one piece?

I do realize there will be missing parts.  The guy who started this project sold the project to a friend of mine who sold it to me.  It sat in his garage for a couple years.  Who knows what happened to small parts?  But the big stuff is there and I can order anything I need as I get through this thing.  I'll start this weekend by laying out all the parts in the order that I think it should be assembled and compare parts piles to the factory parts manual.  I'll make my first order based on that and go from there.

I split the bottom engine case and replaced the main gasket to take care of an oil leak.  That was a bit more than I anticipated as the transmission had to come apart too.  But that is all back together, torqued to spec and no more oil leak (Have not put oil back in to test but have no reason to think it will leak).  So now the bottom end is mounted on the frame.

I have new piston and new rings ready to go.  Top end will need a ridge ream and cylinder hone before putting that all back together. I may start with that this weekend after I verify all the missing parts.

As for selling it...I'm hoping to get my 16 year old son to take an interest in this thing.  If he does, it will be his bike (depending on how much help he gives me).  If he shows no interest, I may put it on the market when it's complete.  Depends on if it turns out to be faster or slower than my 2003. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Sounds  like a fun project.   I like to start with a rolling frame, suspension in place and all steering components as well.  After that it’s all motor work.  Soup to nuts with the carburetor, exhaust and drive train in place.  Fill with required fluids and check for leaks. Don’t be afraid to use thread lock as you go.  It really helps to prevent bolts from coming loose. 

I like to clean up all the major tools wipe everything down good and its on to the wiring. After the wiring is complete I like to do a quick check to see there is spark and the starter is working with the push button etc.   

After that it’s all about the brakes and controls on the handle bars and foot pegs, shifters and brake pedal.

Once all that’s good to go the. The gas tank, plastics and wrap the last few details up test the lights and you should be good to go.  

If it all goes well and rides proper go back over the bike after a few rides one more time checking for any loose items, bolts screws etc.  

good luck.  

So...I did the gas tank and plastics already...just to see what it all looks like (and it was good!)  All new plastics in royal blue.  All new brake pads, roters, calipers.  Maybe the first thing I should do is remove plastics and gas tank so I have room to move around in there.

Thanks for the road map.

2019-04-07 18.24.58.jpg

Your welcome, good looking bike.  Yes definitely take the plastics off, it’s so much easier to work on.  Also double check the front shocks.  They look upside down but I’m now sure, Could be the way Polaris set them up. 

You can hone the cylinder out your self. I just posted a pic of one on another members topic.  It should take care of your cylinder as well. Including the ridge. I attached a pic for you to see.  

Clean looking bike. Should be a really good project.    

68CE4463-BFA1-41C7-9738-5E8A21521EB7.jpeg

That's the exact same honing tool I have.  Also have the ridge reemer.  

Funny thing about the shocks.  I have a Polaris RMK snowmobile and a Ski Doo Summit snowmobile.  Both companies use the same shock.  Polaris is upside down while the skidoo is right side up.  So you may be right about Polaris doing things a little different.