Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Mitchell LaForest

1986 Honda TRX 250 - No Power

Hi everybody!

Just got an 86 TRX 250, not running for past 5 years.

Currently with battery hooked up there no power. I checked the fuses. Will go meter the off/run/off switch and ignition switch tonight.

I'm, looking for a decent wiring diagram or a copy of the service manual or ohm specs for coils/stators. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

20190408_132520.jpg

Welcome to Quadcrazy.  86 !!!! Nice bike.  I think that year had the metal gas tank ? 

The stator would not prevent you from cranking the engine so I’m thinking it’s a really or wiring issue.  Don’t know if we have that year in the downloads section but I will take a look for you.  Meantime any of our members here are very well versed and will help you along the way.  You can have access to the download section after participating in at least 10 posts in the forums or a paid membership.    The 10 posts are not very difficult because you are going to find the stuff here we get into very interesting. So I will take a look for your diagram and see what’s available. 

What condition are the plastics in? How’s the bike overall? 

Frank,

Yes metal gas tank.

Turns out it was the ignition switch. All crusted over inside (like Ajmboy's shorts, JK thanks for the link).

I pulled apart and cleaned, carb, air box, starter. Clean out the gas tank. Replaced front brake lever/master cylinder assy, rear brake shoes. New battery.

Looks like a bag of ass (plastics fk'd) but starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

20190413_090944.thumb.jpg.e1bcd4d2f92d977573971c2f1a0218a3.jpg20190413_092928.thumb.jpg.1e795310edc540f9dbe32b3d84288596.jpg20190413_115600.thumb.jpg.3497a522e695476f71b68aa97e826cd7.jpg20190413_121533.thumb.jpg.d054ff284f3141f5d7aa98b4f7e5ca36.jpg

• Confused 1

Wow great pics brother. Wtf is that tan shit ? Looks like a piece of fish...  The tank looks nasty.  Glad it runs great, very nice work. The only thing I’m going to say about @Ajmboy is the only thing he has crusted is his reputation in this forum. You can’t have pie without crust! And this forum is the pie and he is the crust! And @Admin I love you too! 

Ride safe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's pieces of an ancient rubber glove..... don't know man.

Just messing with Amjboy. We need those crusty guys around. We'd call them "Old Salts" in the service. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mitchell LaForest said:

That's pieces of an ancient rubber glove..... don't know man.

Just messing with Amjboy. We need those crusty guys around. We'd call them "Old Salts" in the service. Thanks.

I'm 44, not sure how old and crusty I am yet...

happy old man GIF by Cheezburger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitchell LaForest said:

Here she is:

20190425_204429.jpg

20190425_204441.jpg

that honda looks a little like mine:

Picture0408191459954.jpg

Picture0408191502951.jpg

I think mines older tho....  its a 4-trx and its the model that has the backup kick-start rather than recoil

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Used to have a 1984 TRX 200. similar to your 250.

These thing are build like TANK !!! :)

Edited by Martin Prevost

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By lanow
      Hi Everyone,
      I am new to this forum and hope that someone out there can help me, I have an early Suzuki King Quad 300 (280cc) which starts intstantly every time but at about half revs or there abouts it starts spluttering and will not rev any higher, this fault is present whether choke is applied or not, some one suggested that silencer maybe be clogged so removed baffle but no improvement have removed carb and stripped 3 times but still no joy.
      Any ideas would be most welcome.
      Cheers Rob
    • By Arizona
      On one of the atv I recently purchased the neutral switch is bad, Any one ever replaced one.
      looking for some pics. I assume I need to remove the drive shaft to pull the cover foward
      to clear the gear shift shaft. Any easy ways to do this. So far have motor moved forward 
      all bolts out except nuts on drive shaft which are loose Thanks Az
    • By w_r_e
      Just picked an '03 Bayou 300 2WD.  It runs ok, needs a little help though. Maybe someone can answer some questions for me.
      1. The choke "off" position is the lever all the way right, correct?
      2. The choke seems mechanically... funky. It has a little valve clamp around the rubber boot where it goes into the carb, seems kind of janky, I don't think there's typically a valve clamp on that part? The engine seems like its running really rich, smoking a bit, so I wonder if I can just completely remove the choke cable to see if that's part of the issue? But I don't fully understand the choke needle setup. Is "choked" when the needle is being pushed in, or pulled out? Like it I chopped the cable just outside the rubber boot by the carb, would I be permanently choking it or permanently unchoking it.
      3. I've read that I can tweak the air/fuel screw and maybe fix the rich mix. Where is that even located, and if it's behind a cap that I have to drill out... where is that?
      Thanks for any tips
    • By Anthony Sherman
      Looking to buy a banshee this Saturday. Guy has a sweet deal on one 3 hours from me. Bike sounds a bit rough to me but I’m not a 2 stroke or atv guy. This will be my first 2 stroke Any help would be much appreciated. I attached a video of the bike running. Please let me know if this a good deal at 3k. 
      B8207E87-DE09-4932-8176-23214F9FC3EF.mov
    • By Dimelol
      I have a 2003 Kodiak 450 that i purchased a while back with around 300 hours on it. It has never ran right from the beginning. Initially i thought it was just a carburetor issue because it was all clogged up from sitting for months. It has been cleaned, rebuilt, and taken off probably about 10 times troubleshooting this problem. I have quadruple checked everything including float height ect and it is set correctly, the jets are also brand new, needle and seat have been pressure tested as well. So after all of that I am convinced that the carburetor is not the culprit. I have an issue where the idle is very choppy, almost as if it is misfiring with a rich condition on top of that. I can use a brand new plug and run the machine for just a few minutes and it will be a dry and and coated in black carbon build up. The exhaust also has a strong smell at idle. I had trouble restarting it when hot for a while, but i adjusted the valves and it seemed to solve that issue. They were both way out of tolerance (tight). The weird thing is, outside of idle it seems to run pretty well. 
      So with all that being said I have ruled out the carb/valves/compression and moved on to the ignition and this is where i have a few questions about factory specifications. I guess the main question I have is, how strict are these tolerances? And could them being off by this amount cause the issue I am having? Do all three of these parts really need to be replaced? I would like to know before I spend the money on these new parts, and it not fix my problem. Below I will list what the specs were in the service manual along with the reading i got.  This is my first experience testing ignition components. I just found it odd that all 3 are out of spec according to the service manual.
      Spark plug cap resistance: 10 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: 8.90 kΩ
      Primary coil resistance: 0.18 ~ 0.28 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: Fluctuated between 0.4 - 0.5 Ω
      Secondary coil resistance: 6.32 ~ 9.48 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within the specified range.
      Pickup coil resistance: 459 ~ 561 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within specified range.
      Rotor rotation direction sensing coil resistance: 0.085 ~ 0.105 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F) 
      My reading was 0.3 Ω