Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Aaron Wilson

1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 CV Axle Replacement

My 1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 has a cracked CV Axle boot and the axle wiggles back and fourth if you pull on it. It also clunks if you go from forward to reverse fast with the tires turned hard one way or the other. Im thinking a new axle will solve the problem. Can you guys walk me through the steps of replacing the CV Axle, I have never done anything like this.

Thanks

You can get a rebuild kit for them. But first, jack up the front end and spin and turn the wheel by hand to check for any clunking in the joint to be sure that's your problem.

Good point about getting wheel off of the ground and double checking. I good sign is while riding make a slow U turn in both directions and you should hear a clicking sound if it’s the front end.  As far as bank you usually  have to get the wheels off the ground and see what kind of play you have.  Sometimes you hear a click when you take off but it’s hard to notice with engine noise.  

Youtube it and you will find plenty of videos on this work.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Randel1
      Hello, 
      I have a 2004 Yamaha Bear Tracker in the shop for repair. I have the service manual but it doesn't have all the information I need to fix the problem. I need to know the voltage output of the stator charge coil and pulse or trigger coil at cranking speed. The wiring diagram color code doesn't seem to match and that is compounded by the fact that the wiring harness CDI connector is missing so I have 7 wires that need to be connected to the CDI. I can not find a circuit diagram of the CDI which tells me where the pulse/trigger coil connects or the charge coil connects. The other 3 wires (black ground, orange ignition coil, and r/b ignition kill sw) also need to be connected. The CDI has a single 8 pin connector and has a P/N 4XE-00 F8T19871 -1122 number on it and I believe it to be OEM. However I think the Stator and pulse coil are aftermarket items. I have resistance tested everything and it all seems to be in spec. but I don't want to miss wire anything and cause damage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Scott Sirr
      I need to figure out how to clean/fix or replace my neutral switch assembly On my 2008 Yamaha big bear 400 as generally the neutral light doesn’t come on when it is in neutral. To get it to come on I have to wiggle the foot shifter and hold it in just the right spot.
      I have googled it and can’t find much on the 400’s. I can’t find a service manual online and the parts manual is super vague.
      I think it is in the right side engine cover area, but not certain. 
       Any help would be great. thanks
      Scott
    • By oxidized_black
      Clymer ATV Manual - Yamaha Raptor 700R

• By Ajmboy
      Unfortunately I didn't notice some of the rust hitting the undercarriage of my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660, but saw it the other day when I was doing some maintenance, oil change, air filter, spark plug, etc. The left side footrest broke and that's causing the plastic to hit the front wheel. It broke right at the welds from too much rust. Looks to me like what I need is (looked this up on yamahapartshouse.com):
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27481-10 Left side (broken)
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27488-10-00 Right side (rusted and will probably break eventually)

Does anyone have a less expensive source? I did see on ebay a couple of listings but it still comes out to @ $50 each, 
    • By marek porowski
      It’s kind of ATV related question as I need new trailer tires to tow my 4 wheeler. 
      Does anybody have any experience with loadstar 12” trailer tires ? 
      There is not to many choices for trailer tires here in Ontario and I was wandering if somebody can recommend me something. 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Michael Aiken
      Where can I find a wiring diagram for my 2005 450 Kodiak. Thanks.
    • By J Printz
      i have a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 and it is losing oil but does not smoke what is it
    • By Dimelol
      I have a 2003 Kodiak 450 that i purchased a while back with around 300 hours on it. It has never ran right from the beginning. Initially i thought it was just a carburetor issue because it was all clogged up from sitting for months. It has been cleaned, rebuilt, and taken off probably about 10 times troubleshooting this problem. I have quadruple checked everything including float height ect and it is set correctly, the jets are also brand new, needle and seat have been pressure tested as well. So after all of that I am convinced that the carburetor is not the culprit. I have an issue where the idle is very choppy, almost as if it is misfiring with a rich condition on top of that. I can use a brand new plug and run the machine for just a few minutes and it will be a dry and and coated in black carbon build up. The exhaust also has a strong smell at idle. I had trouble restarting it when hot for a while, but i adjusted the valves and it seemed to solve that issue. They were both way out of tolerance (tight). The weird thing is, outside of idle it seems to run pretty well. 
      So with all that being said I have ruled out the carb/valves/compression and moved on to the ignition and this is where i have a few questions about factory specifications. I guess the main question I have is, how strict are these tolerances? And could them being off by this amount cause the issue I am having? Do all three of these parts really need to be replaced? I would like to know before I spend the money on these new parts, and it not fix my problem. Below I will list what the specs were in the service manual along with the reading i got.  This is my first experience testing ignition components. I just found it odd that all 3 are out of spec according to the service manual.
      Spark plug cap resistance: 10 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: 8.90 kΩ
      Primary coil resistance: 0.18 ~ 0.28 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: Fluctuated between 0.4 - 0.5 Ω
      Secondary coil resistance: 6.32 ~ 9.48 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within the specified range.
      Pickup coil resistance: 459 ~ 561 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within specified range.
      Rotor rotation direction sensing coil resistance: 0.085 ~ 0.105 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F) 
      My reading was 0.3 Ω
    • By Admin
      1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
    • By Admin
      View File 1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
      1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Yamaha ATV