Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Aaron Wilson

1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 CV Axle Replacement

My 1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 has a cracked CV Axle boot and the axle wiggles back and fourth if you pull on it. It also clunks if you go from forward to reverse fast with the tires turned hard one way or the other. Im thinking a new axle will solve the problem. Can you guys walk me through the steps of replacing the CV Axle, I have never done anything like this.

Thanks

You can get a rebuild kit for them. But first, jack up the front end and spin and turn the wheel by hand to check for any clunking in the joint to be sure that's your problem.

Good point about getting wheel off of the ground and double checking. I good sign is while riding make a slow U turn in both directions and you should hear a clicking sound if it’s the front end.  As far as bank you usually  have to get the wheels off the ground and see what kind of play you have.  Sometimes you hear a click when you take off but it’s hard to notice with engine noise.  

Youtube it and you will find plenty of videos on this work.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chad Dickerson
      I am goin nuts here! I have a 04 400 air cooled 4x4 , I'm a atv,car,truck,mower mechanic for yrs,just sayin. Ok it cranks and kinda fires now and again then after 5 min of cranking and stopping itl start if u touch throttle itl did then u start all over! If u let it warm up sumtimes u can throttle it up other times it just does! Just depends on it? When it stays running it runs awesome,no problems except it just does randomly like u shut key off? Sumtimes itl start right back up others itl do the no start thing! IV put new plug,adjusted valves and hot tanked carb? I'm at a loss here guys! Please any other ideas? I don't think it's anything to do with flywheel? It's not the auto it has a hi low reverse lever on left fender and foot shifter? Help please lol
    • By JacobSlabach
      recently picked up some project bikes off CL for cheap.  got a honda fourtrax (the ancient 4x4 kind with the straight axle in the front as well as the rear and a back-up kick-start)  plastics are crap, but my goal is to get running like a champ and patch the plastics up and sell to one of my many friends that want a reliable 4x4 for dirt cheap and doesnt care what it looks like.
      so the former owner says it needs carb rebuilt, but its sat for 3+ years since so who knows.  things I see:  carb is missing (he gave me a box of parts along with the bike), engine turns over and feels good with kick-start, brakes need work, battery missing (That always puts me off, cause then I know most likely someone's been tampering with the electrical.
    • By kgrant
      Fixing up a 1998 King Quad 300. The rear brake was locked up, and the owner tried to force it free and snapped the axle.

I disconnected the brake cable, and tapped on the backing plate with a soft mallet to get the brake freed up. When I pulled off the brake drum a bunch of nasty rust water came out.

Once I had the axle out, I popped the boot off so I could see the inner u joint so I could phase/synchronize it with the outer. There was a flat steel disc floating around in the boot, looks like it used to be pressed into the end of the axle. Glad I got that out of there before it munched up the joint.

The book says the yokes should be aligned, I couldn't get mine aligned. They were always 7 degrees off from each other. A bit frustrating, maybe that's within the tolerance limits?

But I got it all back together and it runs great.

• By Sonders
      Hey guys.  New guy here with my first Yamaha quad.  Traded for an 01' Kodiak 400 that needs some tlc.  It was running but idle is off, missing some hardware here and there, none of the lights work on instrument panel and front brakes didn't work were the main things that jumped out at me.  I drug it home and have started tearing into it.  Started with fresh oil change and flushed the dirty brown coolant and replaced with fresh coolant.  The carburetor is missing the side cover for the throttle cable and I don't see where I can buy just that cover without buying a complete carb, so went ahead and ordered a new one (hasn't arrived yet).  the Starter relay solenoid was crap and had to mess with it to get it to start half the time so replaced it.  I have a few questions as I'm going through this quad that I'll list below.

1. It has a cut plug on wiring harness under the instrument panel.  Can anyone tell me what this plug goes to?  There currently is not a plug running to the 4wd indicator light on instrument cluster so I'm wondering if 2 of the wires are for that possibly??

2.  Also in the front, there is a air duct under the rack and black plastic panel that runs down to the engine case.  Is there supposed to be some sort of cover or anything over it?  I looked online at parts diagrams and couldn't even find this duct or the duct that runs up by taillight in any of the diagrams.

3. this fuel line on top left side of carburetor; is this what goes to the gas tank cap or is it just a vent line for carb?  Follow up question, where does the line that comes off of the gas tank cap go to?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I work through this thing.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Don Colburn
      i bought a set of rims and tires off a 450 kodiak IRS its a 2013 factory rims and front rims are striking the calipers on my 2017 kodiak 450 anyone have any insight ,i thought they would just bolt on
    • By chuckufarlie
      I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS that just this past Sunday I ran through a bit of water.
      After the puddle the belt was slipping, so I pulled over and drained the ultramatic housing and the slipping problem went away. This was all in L and everything seemed to work fine. Later when I got on a road, I put it in H, but it still rode like it was in low... i.e. I had to rev it up a lot just to get to 30mph.
      When at home I pulled the ultramatic cover off to inspect, and it looked okay in there. Not much dirt, belt and everything are clean, but when I rev up the engine (with cage in place, of course), the belt doesn't get to the top of the clutch (maxes out about an inch or 1.5" from top of clutch, so maybe it is normal).. I put it back together but same thing... H seems like L still.
      Do you think the clutch needs to be further dissected for cleaning, or could this be an issue with the gear selector?

• By mothrottle
      My first long ride on my latest bike, an '18 Kodiak 450 EPS I bought slightly used failed. In the North woods I stop on a two track for a blowdown. I Shift into reverse, and instantly the engine dies. Completely dead. The shop tells me that the  40 amp main fuse(there are two, One being the main the other for the EPS) blew. These are the slow blow variety. The shop had to order the fuse,which tells me that blowing that fuse is rare. I hope they can find the cause. Anyone else have this happen?
    • By Robert Ochoa
      Don't worry about hauling the ATVs. We have the helmets, goggles, and gloves covered too. Our equipment is well maintained and gassed up ready to go!
      We take the work out of your fun!
      Book your next adventure now!
      www.awesomeatvrentals.com
      https://www.instagram.com/we_are_atvs/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTAk9BABQNion2JJ_TfQXA
      we_are_atvs
      #fourwheeler #atvlife #atvriding #atv #4wheeling #fourwheeling #mudding #outdooradventure #atvs #mudlife #powersports #northcarolina #southcarolina #southcarolinalife #offroading #AwesomeATVRentals #yamaha
    • By Errol Bartholomew
      Started my 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 up recently (March 2019) and it didn't seem to idle good; the idle was erratic.  I turned off the fuel and the engine eventually speeded up to where the Revere red light started flashing before it ran out of fuel.  I changed the spark plug and no change.  Bought a new carb and installed and still not change.  Starts good and runs great when driving but the idle sometimes doesn't come down to where I can shift and other times it goes so slow that it stops running.  I have stabilizer in the fuel and have started several time in  the winter to keep the battery charge without problem but now that has changed.  I have 5700 miles on it but have maintained it good and it has been kept in the garage since I bought it new.  I have really loved this atv.
      Any ideas on what the problem could be?
      I'm about ready to take it to the dealer for troubleshooting but at a $110/hour I'm trying to solve the problem myself.
      Thanks for any help or experiences any of you have.
      Errol