Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

crochet homemade

1996 Suzuki King Quad 300 Smokes [VIDEO]

I have bought a 1996 suzuki king quad 300 and I have noticed that it smokes but I have put oil in it and plenty of gas had to fix shifter bc the nuts and bolts came out somewhere. I have had to replace the wire for the starter but now when I try to start it it wont idle at all and when it does run it smokes really bad like a whitish blue I guess, and it likes to stall a lot. So anybody can help me out please and thank you

The top end is going to need rebuild it's burning oil. You'll need to have it bored and go through the valve terrain. Also would be a good time to rebuild the carburetor.

• Like 1

Agree with Brian. Before you pull the top end apart, check the timing to be sure the chain hasn't jumped. If it has, might be a stretched chain or tensioner problem.

What’s happening is most likely your valve seals are bad and maybe your rings are going as well.   The valve seals are bad allowing oil to get into the head and is prob fouling the spark plug as well. The spark plug should be a dark black color with this condition. 

Take a compression reading first and see what you have. Then order a new set of valve seals and gaskets.  I would replace the rings as well.  This should solve the problem.  The piston is probably fine but while your in there might as well. I know some people don’t want to spend the extra few bucks but it’s worth it if the bike is in good condition.  

A good cleaning of the carburetor would be good since it’s going to come off the bike anyway during this process.   

Posted (edited)

I guess I'm in the same boat

Edited by Mudrecon

Possibly, just keep in mind it could be just the valve seal.  I always like to proceed with caution on my work.  If the valves can be exposed and you can see the seals then you can crank the engine and take a Q tip, make up a good soapy solution with dish soap. Dab it around the valve seals. You will see bubbles around the rubber seal as you crank it. You don’t need a lot of soapy water. Just enough to coat the rubber. Any bubbles then it’s a bad set of seals. Change them all and change the oil after ward.  

I'll try that Frank - I use the soap test for so many things. A 50/50 mix with water in a sprayer knocks down hornets, wasps etc . Not just a mechanics tool ;)

Frank has a good idea of checking the valve seals. I had a Suzuki quad 300 that would smoke at times. The compression checked out good, leak down test showed acceptable. Spark plug showed good as well. What I found was the exhaust valve guide was worn just enough to let some oil get passed it and get sucked into the exhaust port. The heat from the exhaust burned the oil in the exhaust pipe. Found the exhaust port wet with oil.  The exhaust valve is covered in oil on the head when running.  By the time you replace the valve and valve guide and seal. You could have bought a good used complete head cheaper. 

So look at your spark plug, if it has oil do a compression test and leak down test.  If all of those are ok, remove the exhaust pipe and look for it to be wet with oil. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ajmboy
      View File 1996-2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual
      1996-2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual
      Submitter Ajmboy Submitted 06/26/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Ajmboy
      View File 1996-2003 Polaris Xplorer 500 Service Manual
      1996-2003 Polaris Xplorer 500 Service Manual
      Submitter Ajmboy Submitted 06/26/2019 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By AimlessMoto
      Hey guys, new here, but haven't found ANY answer to my specific problem on a Suzuki dedicated ATV forum, so here's to hoping!
      I acquired a 95' Quadrunner 250, 4x4, (LT4WD) for practically nothing with no spark. The PO had tossed in a used stator which didn't fix the problem... so I went all routes (though cheaply) to narrow down the initial problem of no spark. 
      Plug, coil, CDI (caltric) and stator w/pickup (caltric) were purchased and installed. And it RAN, but bogged horribly and would not rev past 1/4 throttle. 
      I checked fuel flow, vacuum lines, all the normal stuff, no issues. I decided to check the valves and cam... well, there was one problem. The cam was 1mm under the lowest spec in the manual. So, in-came a new cam, Stage 1 Hotcams... also threw in a new set of shindy valves, lapped them, replaced the valve seals, and the timing chain. 
      Back together again (w/stock airbox and new oiled filter). Now it idles even better, still boggs at 1/4 throttle, but will rev past it if you hold the throttle open for a second. Ahaha... success!
      So I was able to ride it above 1/4 throttle once I had momentum... could shift through the gears, all was good as long as I kept it over 1/2 throttle. Took a long enough ride to break in the cam properly at least so I won't have to worry about that. 
      Now, I start fiddling with the carb. It's clean as a whistle, stock, with stock jets (new replacement Mikuni jets). Same problem. 

I start thinking, maybe this is fuel related and the bike is having an issue transitioning from idle jet to main jet... so I LOWER the needle by raising the clip 1 spot. Now it revvs up in neutral with no bog, but it boggs about the same trying to ride it. So I move the needle down again with the clip on the top slot. Better, but still has a bit of bog at 1/4 throttle. 
      The last bit of advice I got was to ditch the CV carb... so I sprung for a brand new Mikuni VM30-83 round-slide. Bolted it up, blew into the vacuum tube to fill it with fuel (no vacuum port on this one) and she fired right up... but there is still a bit of bog, it's just masked by the fact that I'm not waiting for the vacuum diaphragm to open. 

So I feel like each little step brings me closer, but not perfect. I'm now wondering if this is still in-fact a carb tuning issue (I have some jets I can fiddle with and maybe lean-out the idle jet a little.) OR if the cheap-a** Caltric Stator/Pickup is what's causing these issues. 

I have a 95' KingQuad with 400 miles on it... like new.. runs like a top... I've tried both the stock QR and the Caltric CDI boxes on it, and it revvs up and runs like a champ. 

The only unknowns between the two systems are the carb, and the stator/pickup. My next step in troubleshooting is to rip apart the King Quad and test it's CDI on the Quadrunner... but considering there is no change to how it runs I doubt it will lead to a solution. 

HOWEVER... I tried the stock CDI just recently after running the Caltric this whole time, and the bike runs like garbage. Hardly idles, and won't rev up at all. So, that is my one smoking gun telling me that it's either the pickup coil or the stator itself. 

Has anyone had a problem even CLOSE to this? I can't image the carb would be causing this many issues, especially going to 2 different ones, both with stock jetting to OEM, and exhibiting the identical symptoms... the only change is when different CDI's are plugged in, or when the needle valve leans out the mixture. 
      Also, I checked the piston, rings and bore when I had it apart and they're like-new... no scoring, rings are loose, cylinder is still round and has honing marks still int he bore. Stock piston, stock bore size and it has 160psi compression. Battery is brand new, and I've tried 3 different R/R's, none of which change any symptoms, but slightly vary the charging voltage by .2-.5 of a volt depending on which unit. Also tried a new coil which changed nothing. 
      ANY help would be appreciated. Too much invested to not get it running right. 
    • By w_r_e
      Can anyone point me to a good set of instructions for changing front diff oil on a 1987 Suzuki LT4WD? I can almost guess which bolts are drain & fill... but I've been wrong before... 😆 
      I found some partial posts on other forums and they linked out to dead images and whatnot. Any help appreciated. 
      This thing is running pretty good, got the front brakes back to life, electric start works fine, seat cover fixed up, plastics stitched back together...
      BEFORE (last week):

AFTER (today):

• By Brittany Jones
      Yes I just got a 1998 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. Ran fine after hauling then died. Cleaned carb and put new fuel filter, hose, and new battery in. Starts 3 out of 10 times but will only run for a short time. Any suggestions?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Gus Drake
      I'm helping the widowed neighbor out to do some oil changes on her quads. Any recommendations on what type of oil to run in these machines?
    • By Mudrecon
      as the topic says I'm interested in brands of mufflers ur using. I want a quiet (drive up on moose quiet) but performance type. Whos got what? Mines seen better days

• By Debbie Jim Mills
      Just picked up my new quad from dealership. Drove it onto truck felt for brush guard to touch front of bed. There isn't one.  Asked dealer. Says they don't come with one have to order it. They looked it up not available for at least 30 to 90 days. Winch mounting plate either. Been riding suzuki's since 1973. So i guess it will have to sit in garage till accessories are available. This is my fourth Suzuki ATV they all came with brush guards. Can't even imagine the damage you could get without it. 
    • By Edcl54
      Bought a 2019 king quad 500 AXi few weeks ago.  What are peoples feelings on the break in time and fees a dealer charges.  Not sure if i should do the break in service myself. Thanks
    • By Alex91
      I have a 92 suzuki king quad that seems to be getting way to much fuel in my spark plug hole as I took out plug cranked it over and covered myself in fuel I cleaned carb and fuel filter and fuel pump all seems fine any other ideas