Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Some times I get spark some times not can ride then it just dies and wont get spark it has new cdi box and stator but I don't know if it has the pickup coil I'm at a loss

When you changed the stator coil the new pick up was not with it? They are usually bundled and wired together. 

An intermittent spark usually is a loose connection, worn ignition contacts or an over heating part.  

Check the secondary ignition coil and the spark plug wire coming from it.  

I’ve seen pick up coils fail after they get hot and work after they cool down.  I would go over all the connections, grounds etc and start there.  Then get into the more invasive stuff.  Wiggle the ignition key while it’s running.

If the bike shuts down after a while be ready to test the pick up coil with an electrical tester to see if it’s getting hot and breaking down.  Check the regulator/rectifier that’s it’s not getting hot or failing.  Look up the spec in the electrical portion of the manual and it will tell you the numbers you should have on the tester. 

• Confused 1

The pick up coil is in the same area as the stator coil.  It’s the blue and white wires.  You have to test them. 

The regulator is near the battery under the seat or side plastic usually on the left side of the bike. Looks like an aluminum block with fins on it.   

• Like 1

check connection- sometimes corrosion can cause loose connections- I go through the whole harness and coat all connections with connecting grease to rule that out for any electrical issues.

• Like 1

?

What are we looking at ? I mean I know what we are looking at but is there a problem ? 

Also that red wire in the background looks like it was pinched.   

The three whites are your stator coil wires.  

The blue and white stripe and red should be your pic up coil wires.   

From each of the three wires. One at a time to ground you should get nothing.  

From wore to wire yes 300 + is acceptable.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chris2018
      I have a 1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250. I have no manual on it and it has a no spark issue. If anyone could give me a hand with this or would possibly have a manual would appreciate it. 
    • By Jeff Comstock
      Ok, so I had no spark issues and foundy coil was bad. Bought a caltric coil, put it on and fired right up...for bout 20 minutes then it backfired once and again, no spark. I put it on my buddies 300 and it runs.  Checked my cdi the same thing, but still no spark. Now I got my old coil and  was ohming it and got reading of .01 on primary and 11.89 from POS to plug ( meter set on 20k ) new coil reads same primary but 12.83. what gives? It tests bad but runs my buddies 300, helllllllpppp
    • By Michael P
      Hi i have bayou 400 when i turn it over i get one little spark and that's it? New cdi ,switch, and a used regulator/retifier,new battery any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    • By Bigal700
      I got a 1994 yamaha timberwolf that 2 years ago i bought put carb on off a parts one had it running but not the best so i rebuilt the carb seemed to run good then i left it sit i wanted to ride it so,i took carb apart to clean it looked good had it running but wouldn't idle not a big deal then it died so i gave up on now trying to start wont do anything i checked spark looks good, has great compression and its getting gas i sprayed starter fluid in it and it still wont do anything what the heck could be wrong?
    • By Tiffany Rowland
      I recently purchased an 07 Honda sportrax and when I was checking the spark plug I saw the boot was ripped nearly in half. When I removed the plug it was blackened and covered in oil. How can I thoroughly clean the plug hole and remove any debris that is in there? Is there a small tube like vacuum or something of the sort made for stuff like this? The machine my dentist has would be perfect, maybe they do rentals! 😁

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Wali
      I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.
      when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)
      When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.
      If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,
      Are my valves siezed or not working properly 
      or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 
      PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 
    • By mikeexplorer
      Wiring diagram for 2007 Arctic Cat 700 EFI 4x4

• By Zacharia Maisonneuve
      i have a 1993 timberwolf yamaha and the compression is good and lights work but for some reason the electricity is not going to the spark plug(s)! i got a friend to check it out and they said its no use but im not giving up! please help with this!
    • By William Sims
      I have a 400 4by4 ,2005 green model,
      wounding how many different CDI boxes will work on it

• By jerry houston
      Eiger 400 Suzuki runs fine Cook-Out joke face off the handlebars put it back on and will not start now will crank no no spark