Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1997 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Rehab - wiring question

MarkinAR

Let me start with I have about 30 years of ATC experience, but not much with stuff made after 1988.  Some, but I'm mechanically inclined so it's all good.  I"m rehabbing a 1997 Bayou 220 to send back into the wild and the mechanicals are now all good, just working on making the electrical system...electric.  Right now, I have no power on the white wire as tested directly on the plug at the starter solenoid.  I'm assuming that wire is supposed to be hot any time it's attached to a battery?  The genius that had it before snipped a couple wires and inserted a fairly heavy push button for electric start bypassing the electrical system. I think i've corrected everything north of the solenoid but the white wire has me stumped.  Is my assumption that this should always be hot with a hot battery correct?  Does this indicate a broken circuit in the starter solenoid?  Relay was also bad and wired incorrectly, but that's resolved and I can make the relay click bypassing the solenoid and connector, directly giving the white wire 12V.  Thoughts?

Neutral safety switch grounds normally, breaks ground in gear so it's fine. My issue here is no electricity in the harness at all past the + terminal of the solenoid. For that matter, I get no internal connectivity between + solenoid and white wire spade on the solenoid using multimeter.  I assumed there would be connectivity there within the solenoid circuit even in the absence of electricity.  am i wrong?

Yes you should have power on that white wire all the time.    From the positive terminal to the relay, at the relay it branches off internally  into a small fuse holster that’s attached to the relay with a rubber cap over it.

Have you located that’s and checked it? It could also be broken inside the relay.  

You can put a jumper from the positive terminal to that wire to test it your distribution of power to the controls but have a jumper with an in-line fuse just in case you or someone else made a wiring error down the line someplace.  

If you have checked the fuse and still no power then chances are the relay is broke.  

Thanks for the info brother. Pretty certain the solenoid circuit has an internal break somewhere. New one should be in tomorrow so we'll find out. Oddly noticed last night that if jumping 12V to the white wire manually the starter engaged. Pretty much tells me the solenoid is bad and stuck closed I think. 

Here’s the wiring diagram.   

Mean time take a tester, put it in continuity and go across the two lugs on the solenoid.  You should not get any reading. If so then yes it’s stuck in the closed position.  

Print this diagram out and do what I do, take a few different color highlighters and color code the wires. It makes it way easier to pick things apart. 

EF568088-8CFE-4709-8E8E-70B28E4220C7.jpeg

FD1E39EF-0F1D-4E29-A5E8-46D4825929F4.png

To resolve this thread:  it ended up being the solenoid.  The solenoid itself was good but there was an internal break in the circuit somewhere between the incoming 12V from the battery lead and the white wire that should be outbound 12V to the bike.  I did a continuity test on the new one and as expected, there is continuity in a good solenoid.

Thank you all for the help.

Now to just narrow down a few floating grounds to make the dash lights and headlights perk back up and this thing is ready for a new home.

Just started a 1993 Kokiak 400 4X4 rehab as well.  Should be a fun one!

This is the front birds nest I sorted out. Also attached is the before. Under the plastic was a complete mess but its almost sorted now. Tearing into it revealed a mess but its mechanically ok. Runs good, needs a bit more fuel at WOT. 

IMG_20190809_222835_125.jpg

IMG_20190803_224252_621.jpg

Here is the Kodiak. My oldest picked it up for $600 and it just needs front wheel bearings and the trans case leaks. Small things. Only 1300 original miles. 

20190808_212517.jpg

• Like 1