Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1989 Kawasaki KLF300C Bayou Starting Problems

Ben Lennon

Hi guys new to this forum and thought I’d jump on as I’ve just bought my first quad a Kawasaki bayou klf300c 89 model. It had starting issues when I bought it so I’ve gone thru and replaced the cdi, voltage regulator and starter solenoid aswell as rebuilt the starter motor after all this it was still free spinning on electric start so I pulled the stator cover off to find the fly wheel wasn’t spinning so replaced the one way clutch bearing put it all back together and still not engaging at all. I’m at a loss and looking for some ideas on we’re to look next to solve the problem

cheers Ben 👍

Hey frank I didn’t replace the bendix just put a brush kit thru it. And looking again last night the starter sprag gear and chain from starter is spinning  it’s just not engaging the fly wheel. Could it be that the bearing race on the fly wheel for the one way starter bearing is worn and that’s why it won’t engage?

The  sprag is a clutch.. It  is a special assembly that  locks up in one direction and free wheels in the  other. I don't know about your machine  but on many the sprag  can be  put in  wrong side out  so the starter can't  lock it up to  turn the motor over. They are built  with   rollers  that  are made to lay  flat when spun  on way  and   rotate  to  lock to the  outer  part when  spun the other..  Search on "sprag clutch"  to  see what I mean.

Edited by davefrombc

• 4 months later...