Quantcast

1992 yamaha timberwolf Electrical Issue

northern

Just picked this up at a yard sale, runs and drives..color coded wires for battery were backwards, Meaning a red wire was used for negative and a black for positive....

Upon bringing it home decided to boost the battery and walked away giving it a small charge prior to starting it..came back to find battery slightly smoking and my Green light for power (neutral) was no longer lit up...Still starts when i pull start it with key on.

Turn key on and no starter spin up, no lights

Id like to get my Electric start working, What could be the problem, Where does one start.

Is it possible you put the charging leads on the wrong terminals on the battery ? Smoking battery and your explanation of what the bike is doing sounds like a battery either installed the wrong way or the charging clamps put on the wrong place.  

I would check your main fuse next to the starter solenoid.  If that’s ok I would start looking for burnt wires.  

Once I noticed the backward battery leads I would have corrected that situation ASAP and tried to figure out why! So look into that first and  go from there would be my take.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4  
    • By p5200
      Hello folks, I have a Polaris 500 Scrambler. Not positive I need a new battery.  The folks I got the ride from said they put a new battery on it right before selling it to me. It's been a couple cold months before I tried starting it. After jumping it now, I let it idle plus revved it quite a bit for about 20 minutes. Then I shut it off and tried to restart barely turns over and that's it? Am I not giving it enough charge time maybe need to actually ride it? The battery on it is a Continental CTX9-BX. I lf a new battery is needed would maybe Amazon have a decent one? Thanks!
    • By Uglyside38
      Has anyone had any luck converting an older quad from a 7 wire CDI to the newer (and cheaper) 5 wire CDI? 

I have a 1988 Suzuki Quadrunner and I believe the CDI is on it's way out...🤦🏼‍♂️ A used CDI from 1988 goes for $250-$300 on the bay...and that's when you find them. The Chinese CDIs for the 1990 and up quadrunner are only about $40. I have read a blog from a guy who says it's possible and that 2 of the wires can be omitted if the rectifier is a newer one also. Any experience with this would be greatly appreciated!!!🤙
    • By cosmacart
      Hi all, iam from ohio and i have a 2013 yamaha rhino SE black . I might sell it but i dont know what its worth. So can anyone give me an idea what to ask for it?? This is not a scam,,its only a question thanks in advance!!
    • By GTX-Racer
      I am looking for a front battery cover for a Suzuki Quadrunner 250 (year unknown).  It has the headlight on the handle bars and no speedometer.