Quantcast

1991 Yamaha Moto 4 250

Arizona

So my latest find is a Moto 4 250. Looked in good shape, started right up but would backfire and die upon acceleration but you 

could get it to go if you were good with the throttle. I figured it was the carb. was a brand new Chinese carb, he didn't have original.

I took it apart and cleaned it, only thing I found was some debris in main jet and the main adjustment on bottom was at 41 turns. Cleaned 

it out and set at 2 turns, re installed. Starts up, runs better actually drove it but seems really sluggish, once I hit 3rd gear could barely pull

it. Rechecked everything, even ordered a new carb as I had this problem with another atv but still same problem. Now I pull it apart and 

decided to check compression, I show only 85 psi. I checked valve adjustment (after aligning up cam gear to mark on case). to make sure not too tight still right at 85 psi. 

I assume I need to pull the head and look at the valves, Any ideas I am missing something?  motor does not smoke but is super sluggish. 

The specs I find are off the downloaded manual of a 94 but figure should be the same. It states compression standard is 128  and Minimum is 114 and Max is 142

Any other Ideas before I tear it down? Thanks in advance Az

20191004_170353.jpg

20191005_095108.jpg

Well was going to tear it down today but double checked a few things

rechecked compression, right at 85psi then rechecked compression with

throttle wide open and I get 125 psi. Double checked and confirmed with throttle

open 125 psi. so I assume the motor is not the issue.  Still looking at the carb as it 

feels like a carb issue. Similar to problems with the Kaw bayou 300 I had. So gonna 

set the valves before I put it together, Since I don't have original carb and have tried 

2 Chinese carbs, should I try a jet kit and install in this carb? If so what ones do you have

the most luck as far as accuracy with?    Might also see if ign. coil is putting out enough

volts, I am assuming it should at least put out 20kv Any other ideas? Thanks Az

Hey Az, if I’m not mistaken and maybe a few others can correct me if I’m wrong but the  compression reading should not change wether the throttle is open or not? The compression reading is contained at the top of the piston stroke so the only place to loose it would be valve seals, head gasket  or ring wear and not opening the throttle. 

If you have the oem carb then tear it down and go with a kit, oem size jets obviously. 
I’ve used a few different  types. I like the Hi-Caliber brand, $35 bucks on Amazon. So far so good with them. 

B88E1A94-3A63-4526-AE56-2D801D965704.jpeg

Yes the compression changes every time I either open or close the throttle. 

Never heard of 

the readings changing with throttle angle. It will read 125 as long as throttle is opened.

If not it reads about 85psi. The motor runs super smooth at idle and doesn't smoke. 

Any ideas what I should do with it or just leave it alone?  Now second thing. I do not have the

oem carb. Should I try the jet kit on the new Chinese carb? or wasting my money? Az

20191009_131038.jpg

20191009_130940.jpg

Edited by Arizona
add pics

Wasting money on the jet kit with a Chinese carb. I would rather try to locate a used oem carb on eBay and try my luck and at worst it will need a cleaning maybe new jets. The only reason I can think of that the compression reading keeps changing is the cam lobes are worn down and there is not enough intake based on valve lift ? Throttle movement should not change the psi on the gauge as far as I know.  
Strange but maybe @davefrombc or any other members can expand on this a little.

I agree weird readings. But they are repeatable. Just depends if throttle is open or not. 

Would think cam problems would be constant. I cant think of anything that would make

them change due to throttle angle. Im stumped. Any Yamaha motor builders out there that

have ideas?  

On a second note, after screwing with the second carb I got it to go quite a bit faster but still not right.

I can floor it in neutral and it wont redline. Just revs about half of what it should be. Pretty odd as it 

idles pretty smooth and starts pretty easy. Hoping for some knowledge on the motor Az

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By kiriyaaoi
      Hello everyone, I just picked up an 02 LT-F250F the other day and have been in the process of tearing it down to fix some stuff- one of which was the cylinder base gasket leaking like a sieve. Well, I know why that is now, and I also discovered that someone had been in there before. I didn't take pictures, but it looks like it was probably run low on oil at some point, the cam journals and the "bearings" (for lack of a better term) in the head and the valve cover are totally wiped out, very deep grooves.  From what I know it's very difficult to repair aluminum in this way, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

1. Have someone grind down the head and valve cover and fit actual bearings in since the aluminum is screwed, and have the cam ground down to match.  I have no idea what this would cost.
      2. Buy a replacement head+cam+valve cover.

#1 I was hoping someone might have some advice on, but #2 seems like it'll (probably) be the more cost effective option.  However I'm running into some difficulty, it seems like the 2001 and 2002 models specifically use a different head part number,  11100-19B10, instead of  11100-19B01 like for all earlier models.  What exactly is the difference between them? There are obviously far more of the earlier heads because it ran for over 10 years.  Are they actually interchangeable? I've also noticed there are heads from the LT250EF that has 4 valve heads but also otherwise look identical.  Would those work as well possibly?  I'd like to not have to drop $500 on machine work or new heads on a $1300 quad that I'm already putting a bunch of new parts on.  Oh, and it has a new piston and the cylinder itself looks pretty good too, as I said someone was in here before me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow.