Quantcast

Need help 2008 Yamaha Big Bear 250

Dee Morris

I bought my big bear in 2009, never had a bit of problem with it until last year. It quit starting but still would click when I tried to start it. I replaced the solenoid, the cdi module ( it was burned on one corner) and this year replaced the battery. I have all lights but still will not start and I do not have the clicking when I try to start it. Can anyone give me any ideas what to try next? I haven't had any luck finding videos about the 2008 Big Bear. I'm trying to avoid the expense of sending it to the shop. 

If you jump the two large wires on the solenoid and that stater did not crank then there is an issue with the starter most likely. By jumping the two wires your eliminating the solenoid.
A few things to check/test: 

Wiring, maybe the battery is stone cold dead or a bad cell inside the battery is causing this (Very common problem). Jump the atv with another power source to test that. 
Check the wire from ground terminal on the battery to the frame Is good. Remove it and clean and re install if in doubt.   
Check the wires (bigger ones) from the solenoid to the starter and make sure they are good (clean if need be).  
Take a tester and see if your getting 12v at the starter when you press the start button. 
If so then the starter may be bad or the brushes in the starter could be bad. 
Let us know what you find.  

The votage going tothe solenoid is 14.2 with ignition turned off and 12 when its on. I don't have a red wire except for what is in between the fuses and of course its taped together with a bue wire. The battery is also showing 12 volts. I added a picture that I traced black cable to. Please ID it for me. Its attached to the frame with red wire out the front of it.  I'm really trying to avoid a big expense right now if I can 

20200426_135427.jpg

The solenoid is where you have to start. You should have two large red wires on the solenoid (pic attached). Jump the two nuts  together on the solenoid. One wire comes from the battery and the other goes to the starter. Follow those wires and they will lead you to the starter. If you jump them two together the starter should spin. If not then its a starter problem.  The pic you posted is the ignition coil.  

The pic I attached is the solenoid showing the wires from the battery and the arrow goes to the starter motor.  
The two nuts shown on solenoid are the ones that you should jump.  You may get a spark when you jump them its ok but should be only done for a second or two.  

78A18558-0689-4E88-B05E-71D7D29F379E.jpeg

I don't have 2 red wires. I have the red cable that goes to the battery and a black one leads to the engine along with several other cables. Only way to know for sure is I am going to need to cut the zip ties to release all the cables so I can trace them better. Since the Bear is in the barn, I will do that tomorrow. That solenoid is different than what is in my yamaha. 

Ok i marked  up the pic to hopefully help you out. The red marking is the wire that should go to the starter. The two blue dots are the lugs that you should jump together to see if the starter cranks. Jump them first for a second. See if the engine cranks.  Don't hold the jumper on for too long. The engine should crank up when they are jumped.  Make sure the atv is in neutral.   

C8E63B4A-B2D0-4256-965C-CA448586103F.jpeg

Ok thats fine but at least the starter is working.  That small plug on the relay, one wore should have 12v to it. If you have that then the solenoid is probably bad.  Easy enough part to get.  Double check your kill switch is also working properly and not causing all this. 
I would also pull the spark plug out and test for spark while your cranking the engine. If you have no spark and no start button then the problem could be causing them both and not a bad relay.  

Check the (white?) 12V output wire of the solenoid that goes to the ign switch, make sure it has power. I had a Kawasaki a bit ago that wasn't providing output voltage even though the solenoid itself was ok.  Also, have you checked continuity in the ignition switch to make sure it's good?  there's only 4 poles usually; 12V in, 12V out, and the other two are just a circuit that closes to interrupt the CDI to kill the motor when you turn the switch off.  Have you checked continuity on the start button to make sure it's making contact when depressed? 

I think you almost have it licked, just one more little issue here to trace down.

Edited by MarkinAR
  • Like 1

Agreed with @MarkinAR on all things to check. Im sure the spark plug is fine, new and gapped etc. Not what I was getting at so pull the plug and test for spark while your cranking! Reason why: All though your solenoid may  be bad it would not prevent the engine from starting by jumping the solenoid. So if you have NO spark then like i said earlier,,,the problem may be something causing the solenoid not to work as well as KILLING the spark. Get it now? For instance if the kill switch contacts inside the switch broke it  will not allow the atv to start.  This is a common problem, including instances where the insides of the controls being soaking wet.   Wire harnesses short out from the outer insulation wearing away From rubbing against the frame etc and eventually short out against the frame.   So you should be wiggling the harness and pressing the start button to see if there is a short or a break.  There is also a fuse next to some of the solenoids under a rubber cap.  
There is a process of elimination here that you should follow and the problem will surface.  Feel free to order a new solenoid but it may not be the issue and days wasted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I have posted, I have changed some things out and had to put a hold on working on 4 wheeler when I had a horse with a serious leg injury had to be dealt with. So I ended up changing the carburetor, after cleaning the jets didn't help. Today I got everything hooked up and it did start, I had to adjust the idle to keep it running without holding the throttle open all the time. It rain great for about 5 minutes, heard a pop... not sure if it was a small backfire since it has sat for so long or if it is something else. Bear died and will not start again. I'm assuming since it ran, the hoses are all in the correct location

• 1 year later...

Back to working on the bear again. It ran for a few weeks last year but once again I put working on this 4 wheeler on hold. I bought another atv to use on the farm and dealt with the passing of my father. Sadly both 4 wheelers are down now lol. The Bear will crank but not start. It has spark to the spark plug. 

Side note.... my polaris magnum will crank but has no spark to the plug. Seems to be a reversed issue on them but 1 4 wheeler at a time.