Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

Kawasaki Lakota Sport wierd oil leak

verve

My 03' Lakota sport has never been taken apart but it's leaking oil. It's on the left side of the bike and looks like maybe the gaskets are failing. It doesn't seem to leak except when I am riding, and it's not enough that I have to add more, it just makes a mess of the bike. Anyone else had this problem? Should I get it taken care of asap? It doesn't leak while parked. It doesn't leak while running. It ONLY leaks while I am riding:huh:.

• 3 weeks later...

check it while running and see if it isn't the shift shaft leaking, i.e., leaking around the shaft that comes thru the case and holds the shifter. It is far more common to have a seal lleak under pressure than a gasket, though it is possible. that would be an easy fix too. a gasket under pressure could be in there pretty deep I'm afraid....let us know OK?:aargh:

• 4 weeks later...

well clean it off and see where it is. You can buy fluorescent oil dye from a Chevy dealer. Take it for a ride then drag that old blacklight out into the garage or ride the quad into the house hahaha, whatever suits you, whatever the little woman will tolerate LOL. :no:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Myrtsbnye
      Hello All,

I have a 1996 Arctic Cat Bearcat 454 and am in a bit of a quandry. I had a bunch of work done on it over the past couple years...new carb, rear brakes, rear axle and bearings. When the rear axle was replaced the shop noticed the left rear hub was stripped. Problem is, the part (1502-178) is no longer available. I've checked junkyards, ebay and other online parts sites across North America and nothing available. Hate to park the bike after all this work just because of a simple hub. 

I have two questions...the front hub (part number 1502-177) how much different would it be from the rear hub? This part is readily available. Would the axles be different diameters?

If these are two different parts and we can't make them work, is it possible to take the existing stripped hub and just weld it to the axle? I know it may sound drastic but was wondering if it would not be too crazy?
      Thanks for your time
    • By gatorschevy
      I own a few older quads mix of kinds a couple of  Yamahas, a Honda, can-am  a Kawasaki, they are older quads but in good shape the question of the day is....... what's the best way to polish up the plastic?
       I have found that Dollar General mold remover is good to get the black stuff off the plastic works good, but was wondering how you polish up the plastics on yours.
    • By MMC
      I have a Suzuki Quadmaster 500, that I got from a customer.  It has less than 400 miles on it.   I think I put most of the miles on it, so they sold it to me.    I used to drive it a few times a year,  treatinjg the gas or emptying it when I could.
      I relocated and wanted to get it running again.   It will start with little trouble, then run for 15-20 minutes, then start to chug a bit, then finally stop.  Sometimes I can start it again, but it doesnt continue to run long after that.
      when I first opened the oil filter when I moved, it was drenched in oil and fell apart.   I went and replaced it with a OEM foam filter.     I notice now, when it does stop, there is a small amount of oil on the bottom the air filter box, and it's clean oil.  I had recently changed the oil before I moved.     Each time I clean that up,   I go through the same process.  It will run, and I can drive it for a bit, but then it slows down and stops.  
      Any suggestions?  I am not an ATV mechanic by far, but can work on most of the stuff I own.    I did have trouble finding a dealer who would work on it.   One local one, said "We dont' work on stuff that's over 20 years old"   It can't be because of parts,  I just laughed.
    • By Fish0rDie
      Was told there was some good information on this forum, so I'm here engaging in some good ole conversation haha. Bought a buggy aka shitcart for 100 dollars. Thing was a woods toy for the past owner. Used and abused until she went boom and was left in a field to die. All things considered that may be an exageration, but the top end of the warrior 350 that was on board was absolutely mangled. Piston and head assembly were totaled. Have a new jug, piston, and head assembly, but struggling to get the crankcase back together without the transmission binding. Can share pics that are on my phone if anyone is interested in seeing this shitty story unfold.

• By Hooks300Bayou
      95 bayou 300 2wheel. This is my first four wheeler. The guy I bought it from showed me slight drip on his floor from a drain plug he recently retapped. I figured I could handle a small leak from a second hand machine. Well after a few times of riding it the bayou seems to be running low on oil. Now maybe this is normal operations as well so I refilled the oil. But the next day I notice my drip on the floor was slightly larger. I wanted to see this drain plug for myself so I took off the skid plate and found a pretty rough looking installed drain plug. It does have a small drop but also seemed to have an excessive gasket and maybe some grey looking “jb-weld” ish material around it. So that’s scary but I figure surely that’s not the only source since my floor spot Grew a bit. I went on to find recent moist around the head gasket for the top end. I’ve never seen it drip but it drips on the new starter the guy installed so it seems the head gasket leaks too. He did say he replaced that gasket when I inquired about the darken stains around that area of the motor. He said he replaced that gasket during. Ring replacement when the bayou was smoking. It no longer smokes by the way. So I continue on thinking well maybe I can do another top end gasket myself some day but still the oil on the floor suggests a more visible leak. I mean it’s not a lot but it grew as I mentioned. Then I find my what seems to be an awful thing. The pull cord and starter was replaced by the preavious owner and it appears there’s a busted area on the crankcase where the left side cover mounts to the L-case.I have not seen oil from there but that looks scary to me. Does this area hold oil? I wondered if it doenst maybe I’ll leave it be but if it does it’s probably the reason I lost some oil. I also found tonight oil on the rubber boot cover I think is for the drive shaft or something. Idk my first ride so I’m unsure of how to proceed. Especially with the case cracked like that. I don’t know how the engine works but if there is indeed oil there in the operation of things it seems like I must do a major engine over haul….. any insight would be so very helpful. I bought this for my daughter but I may have been bitten by going with such An older model. 

• Similar Tagged Content

• Gallery Images