Quantcast

2002 Arctic cat 4x4 250 flambeau problems

have two separate problems. First, I lost the key to my ignition, so replace the ignition with a pair of rocker switches. One for the lights, one for the ignition. Worked like a charm, looked like a professional install >Pats self on back<.
I ran her for half the day, with absolutely no problems. Stopped by a friend's campsite, shut her down, three hours later, I return and she is dead in the water. No lights and no start no nothing. I do have 12 volts at both switches. Is there some sort of mains fuse somewhere?

Second, the same quad has what I beleive to be a carb problem. Fires up no problem on a cold start, or warm start. On a cold start however, I will have to run it around my house three to four times at a slow pace to warm it up, otherwise it will stall, will idle on restart, but any gas will kill it. On a cold start if I gun it and go banshee, It will stall out within one lap around my house. When it does this stalling, if I wait 10 minutes, it will fire it up. After running it for say 15 minutes, there will be absolutely no problems.

Hi. Well it is probably a carby problem but it could also be a spark plug with too much gap, or incorrectly adjusted valves.  I'd check the plug gap first since that's simple, and while I was dong it I'd check whether it looked like it had been running rich of lean. Since it hasn't been runnig far or right, the colour shouldn't be relied on too much, unless it's really white or black.  Then I think I'd check the valve adjustment if it's an adjuster, not a shim. If it's a shim system, they don't often get wrong, and they are more trouble to do. If it's shim I'd check the compression perhaps but basically carry on with the carby checks.

(inserts a cut and paste of paste {of my own}, off another site.. wouldn't want to be accused of plagiarism.).

If it's a carby fault, it might be an adjustment rather than a blocked jet.. Float level, idle mixture and choke operation would be the things I'd be checking.. Mixture first of course. If the choke is a plunger that pulls up/out, rather than a butterfly, then it could be that the choke doesn't operate correctly because the idle speed is set incorrectly.

When you are adjusting the idle, it's important the mixture is set with the idle speed set as low as possible. You adjust the mixture till it's in the best position, if you turn it a little one way it will run rich, and a little the other way and it will run lean, set it to the center of those two points. Then adjust the speed to a low idle. Now repeat the mixture adjustment, to the center of rich/lean. Now adjust the speed again. Keep doing those two steps till it's set with as little throttle opening as possible with the mixture set to center. Finally, set the idle speed to specs.

When it's set like that the butterfly or slide will be opening and covering the two idle discharge holes as they should be, so that as the throttle opens, the idle mixture, which initially was discharging a fuel mix with extra air in it from the second or aircleaner side discharge hole, will start drawing airfuel out of both discharge holes, and it will be mixture without the leaning effect of the air being drawn it through the up stream/second hole.. It gives an automatic enrichening as you open the throttle..

Try that and see how it goes.. after it does go that is..  The electrical problem.. Hmm.. It went for a while the first day, but developed a fault while siting..  Seems strange. I guess I'd be looking for a short or broken wire, though it would have to been something that happened while you were riding.. So.. rack your brains.. anything that happened on the ride.. water crossing, rolled it down a hill, it was running bad when you turned it off perhaps..  Else, I guess you will have to get a manual and start tracing the power from the battery to the switches as a first thing..

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing the year / model I can only provide general information. Typically if you have 12 volts to your ignition the IGN fuse is good. When ignition is turned on, a relay closes to energize the circuits. Depending on model, some were known for wires in the harness rubbing through and breaking.

You can download schematics for free, but need year / model