Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! We keep these forums clean and user friendly. All first posters will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first post is approved, you will no longer need to got through an approval process. To gain immediate approval and a NO ADS experience, consider subsribing to our Premium Membership.

2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 No 4x4 operation?

Kawinoob

Not sure where to start with 4x4 inspection. I tried to drive over a long the other day and noticed that the front wheels were not engaging. Recently had the differential apart front diff coil measures at 25 ohms.

Everything looked pretty good.

I also repaired the pigtail for the front differential connection.

I replaced the Sprague cage with an aluminum one and all the bearings in the diff. 

So, as it sits. My 4 x 4 switch works as far as I can tell. My gauge cluster shows 4 x 4 I just have no engagement.

Any suggestions on where to start?

I would try to determine if it electrical or mechanical, listen closely when you flip the switch for the solenoid click. Maybe jack it up so you can turn the wheels by hand and see what's happening or not happening. If it was me I would think about everything I did when repairing to make sure I didn't forget to do something important.

32 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

I would try to determine if it electrical or mechanical, listen closely when you flip the switch for the solenoid click. Maybe jack it up so you can turn the wheels by hand and see what's happening or not happening. If it was me I would think about everything I did when repairing to make sure I didn't forget to do something important.

Should add I am a diesel mech.

Very positive it is put together properly.

However, I am asking to see if there is something about these that I don’t know like are they full time 4x4 with switch on?

Does the 4x4 only operate when the rear tires slip?

However if normal function is always on with activation then I can lift the front and look for 4x4 lockup.

I am certain it is most likely electronic. Probably a coil.

If a cv had failed it would seem to be out of 4x4...

I'd definitely jack it up one side at a time and try turning the wheels to test the axles and diff operation.

Then I'd try turning the driveshaft by hand with the diff engaged and the back wheels up.

On 10/30/2022 at 1:22 AM, Gwbarm said:

Sorry! Didn't mean to question your mechanical ability, that's why I said if it was me, I question mine quite often.

I know you meant no offense by it. It’s sure is a good reminder anyways. I think sometimes it’s easy to forget we are prone to mistakes.

sorry about the lack of updates guys. We just bought a new car so I have been busy dealing with that and haven’t had time to look at the 4 x 4 lately.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Myrtsbnye
      Hello All,

I have a 1996 Arctic Cat Bearcat 454 and am in a bit of a quandry. I had a bunch of work done on it over the past couple years...new carb, rear brakes, rear axle and bearings. When the rear axle was replaced the shop noticed the left rear hub was stripped. Problem is, the part (1502-178) is no longer available. I've checked junkyards, ebay and other online parts sites across North America and nothing available. Hate to park the bike after all this work just because of a simple hub. 

I have two questions...the front hub (part number 1502-177) how much different would it be from the rear hub? This part is readily available. Would the axles be different diameters?

If these are two different parts and we can't make them work, is it possible to take the existing stripped hub and just weld it to the axle? I know it may sound drastic but was wondering if it would not be too crazy?
      Thanks for your time
    • By Kidshavebrokeme
      Hello, Im looking for some help instead of spending hours on You Tube. Got roped in to buying the above Kazuma 110 I think. I've worked on all brand of autos.
       thought I could tackle this butttt. No start no spark. My stator is producing a faint light by ground. Buy the meter I get 337 ohms on the 
      black, red wire. Some of my questions, Can I bypass everything to look for spark. Can the plunger type kill switch be removed an both wires put 
      together to help achieve spark that is behind the seat. My black red to the cdi has no power to it when turning over. Should i put some form of 
      lubricant in the plug hole or are these motors moving the oil enough and should the plug be in or out or does it matter when looking for spark?
      I'm thinking the wire for the coil from the cdi should light up the test light and it does not. (Forget its color at the moment). I hope there's not a limit
      of questions cause i will have more and Im not much for typing. Any help would be just jim dandy and greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve
    • By Matman
      First time working with a Honda-Matic transmission. I didn't even know what I was getting into when I purchased this running beat up farm workhorse quad with black oil. I was thinking I could tear the cases apart and find the bad bearing, causing the random squealing noise when you put it into gear and give it gas. Upon opening the engine covers, I Learned about the Honda Matic automatic transmission and realized there's more than just an electronic shift motor going on in these quads. With my learning curve in major education mode, I'm now wondering two possible culprits to the squealing as I've torn the motor down and am staring at the Honda Matic transmission.

Two possible issues:
      1. The bearing that is squealing is unfortunately inside the hondamatic unit hydraulic transmission which is apparently not serviceable? A new unit is $1,900 to replace it! Yikes!
      2. The pull starter rope snapped and someone replaced with the wrong pull starter rope that eventually became severely worn out and the centrifugal lever/catch shows signs of wear from rubbing against the housing.
      Thinking now the pull starter has nothing to do with a squealing that loud, so my attention is now on the Hondamatic unit, 
      Has anyone gotten inside their cases to inspect the Honda Matic transmission?
      There's a only 1or 2 videos out there that are not helpful for tear down and inspection.
      I understand it can't be rebuilt but wondering if anyone has looked deep enough into one to clean it out from running dirty oil? Possible identify bad parts.
      I refuse to believe Honda is engineeering these as completely non-serviceable?
      Thinking I will try to disassemble the Hondamatic unit m. Hopefully get into it and get all the dirty oil out and replace with fresh? Any special tools needed?
      Any and all thoughts/experiences with Hondamatic units would be great conversation for me..

• By gatorschevy
      I also have a magnum 4x4 that I am working on it is getting a new piston, In the tear down I pulled off the flywheel
      and found that all the magnets are not attached? why does this happen? there all in good shape so is it possible
      to reattach them to the flywheel? I can buy a different flywheel, but it looks like around $300 or more and one of them on Ebay
      looks like the spacing is off a little so it may have the same issue.
      the stator looks good also 
    • By Breita
      Hi Fellow Forum Members, yes I’m a Newbie (so be kind… lol).  Within the past 2 years I’ve started riding, acquiring and repairing Honda ATVs.  I’m “self teaching” how to repair them from YouTube.  I currently have 4 (three Foreman = ‘02-‘04 TRX400FW & TRX450FM 4x4 and one ‘98 Recon TRX250 2X4).  My question:  Is it normal for Hondas “to tick”?  All three Foremans have ticking sound… valves have been adjusted (compression improved but ticking persists).  Any suggestions as to other causes or fixes?  Video/audio of ‘04 TRX400FW is attached.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
      FullSizeRender.MOV
  • Gallery Images