Quantcast

2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 No 4x4 operation?

Kawinoob

Not sure where to start with 4x4 inspection. I tried to drive over a long the other day and noticed that the front wheels were not engaging. Recently had the differential apart front diff coil measures at 25 ohms.

Everything looked pretty good.

I also repaired the pigtail for the front differential connection.

I replaced the Sprague cage with an aluminum one and all the bearings in the diff. 

So, as it sits. My 4 x 4 switch works as far as I can tell. My gauge cluster shows 4 x 4 I just have no engagement.

Any suggestions on where to start?

I would try to determine if it electrical or mechanical, listen closely when you flip the switch for the solenoid click. Maybe jack it up so you can turn the wheels by hand and see what's happening or not happening. If it was me I would think about everything I did when repairing to make sure I didn't forget to do something important.

32 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

I would try to determine if it electrical or mechanical, listen closely when you flip the switch for the solenoid click. Maybe jack it up so you can turn the wheels by hand and see what's happening or not happening. If it was me I would think about everything I did when repairing to make sure I didn't forget to do something important.

Should add I am a diesel mech.

Very positive it is put together properly.

However, I am asking to see if there is something about these that I don’t know like are they full time 4x4 with switch on?

Does the 4x4 only operate when the rear tires slip?

However if normal function is always on with activation then I can lift the front and look for 4x4 lockup.

I am certain it is most likely electronic. Probably a coil.

On 10/30/2022 at 1:22 AM, Gwbarm said:

Sorry! Didn't mean to question your mechanical ability, that's why I said if it was me, I question mine quite often.

I know you meant no offense by it. It’s sure is a good reminder anyways. I think sometimes it’s easy to forget we are prone to mistakes.

sorry about the lack of updates guys. We just bought a new car so I have been busy dealing with that and haven’t had time to look at the 4 x 4 lately.