Quantcast

1998 yamaha big bear black spark plug

sandy

• Admin changed the title to 1998 yamaha big bear black spark plug

Well that smoke when it starts could be the cause. Oil, even clean oil, burns black.

But, since it runs bad after an hour, it probably means you need to adjust the idle mixture. The idle mixture might need adjusting because there are other problems in the carby, which may need attention, but you should try adjusting it first to hopefully cure the black sparkplug, and also to check that the idle does adjust as it should. If the idle doesn't adjust properly it's a sign of carby problems.

When you adjust the idle mixture, you should do it at as lower idle speed as possible, then adjust the speed and mixture in turns getting the idle speed as low as possible, with the mixture set half way between the point where it starts to slow because it's getting too rich, and the point where it starts to slow because it's getting too lean.. The thing to take note of, which indicates other work being needed, is how far you turn the idle mixture screw before the speed starts to drop. If the carby is all good the idle mixture screw should not need turning more than about a half a turn between too rich and too lean.

I'd adjust the idle, and then see whether the spark plug starts to clean itself after a few hours use. .

Edited by Mech

The smoke at start up, especially if its been sitting for a while, is oil leaking past the valve guide seals and getting into combustion chamber, very common on older engines. If your black plug is shiny its oil burning, if it flat black its too rich. Strange that it runs and idles fine for an hr, is seems like something is heating up. When it cools will it idle again. You might check your choke cable to make sure its not sticking and is doing what its supposed to do. Mech gave the correct procedure for adjusting carb I would start there . The only thing I might add is change the plug, iv had plugs not fire as well when they get hot, drove me nuts trying to find that.

Yup, good point Gw.. the shinny or matt black is an indicator of whether it's oil or fuel burning..

The spark plug, yeah I thought of suggesting changing it but they hadn't mentioned misfiring.. but a different heat range would perhaps keep the plug cleaner.. You could check what heat range the plug is meant to be Sandy..  It will be in the manual or a bike shop will tell you.. or anyone that sells spark plugs really..  And, I'd suggest you buy an NGK plug.. they seem to last longer than any other make in japanese bikes

It would probably be a good idea to check the aircleaner isn't dirty, or over oiled, and it might pay to check the valve clearances too. If they are too tight they might be preventing a valve from fully closing once it gets really hot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By ethie
      Hi All
      I have a 2012 Coleman 500 Outfitter that keeps fouling out the plug within 10-15 minutes 
      not sure where to start
    • By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By Werewolf
      My wheeler originally had a fuel leak.But on trying to start it no spark. Took front end off, when I try to start it I get one spark then nothing. Come back a while latter one spark,replaced coil and cdi box no help?
    • By cosmacart
      Hi all, iam from ohio and i have a 2013 yamaha rhino SE black . I might sell it but i dont know what its worth. So can anyone give me an idea what to ask for it?? This is not a scam,,its only a question thanks in advance!!