Quantcast

CV boot protection.

I've a thought, don't know if it's worthwhile but... Has anyone used any sort of rubber protectant on their boots. I'm bringing back an old machine that sat in the field of lost dreams for years. The boots aren't ripped or dry rotted but I would like them to last a while. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

I always spray mine down with Armor All, I spray them don't touch them and come back and check if its all soaked in I do it again until they are black again, I think it helps, because rubber gets hard and brittle when all of the moisture is depleted. Use it on all rubber parts even plastics. Plastic doesn't soak in much so I wipe the excess away and kind of leaves a protective coating.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just posted a similar thread in the Yamaha section. The Alaskan winters seem to destroy mine after 2 seasons. I'm thinking the combination of bushwhacking when hunting and then early snowpack driving that does it in. But I've been trying to source a Kevlar/metal mesh option to try and protect that rubber longer. Not sure if that's the best option, but like I said: 2 years on a boot is pretty annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This may be way too overkill of a question on this, but has anyone using this method done any testing? Something such as treating a boot on one side and leaving the other side untreated, to see if the treated one lasts longer? I know this is probably not really realistic since you're probably not replacing boots at the same time. Just curious what indicators you have to show the boots wouldn't have lasted as long untreated.

• 3 weeks later...