Quantcast

removing rounded allen head bolt?

p5200
Go to solution Solved by Mech,

I would start by soaking with PB blaster, maybe try an SAE instead of metric also see if the larger metric might go in if its too large see if you can hammer it in that would be my first try , if it dosent work try going along the inside rim with hammer and chisel light taps at first to get a lip started and then heaver taps as needed. I just found another broken one on my project down in a hole got it soaking in PB right now going to try hammer and punch I use eaaseouts as a last resort.

• Like 1

• Solution

Yup, I'd try a different tool, possibly a torx if one felt like it might tap in reasonably tight.

Next would be as suggested, try to tap it around, You need a small chisel that's not too sharp, so it will dig in if hit straight down, but won't cut metal away when we lower the angle to get the bolt to move. If not  a chisel, then an engineers punch that is ground off nice and square so it it sharp and will dig in.-Then a couple of sharp hits downwards to get the chisel or punch to bite in, then one light tap to try and move that side around, then go to the opposite side and repeat, two sharp hits to get the punch to bite, then lower the angle and give a tap or two, then go back to side one and give that a tap, then side two...  and so on.

If neither of those works then drill it out in stages, trying to loosen it by taking the center out first, and trying plan two above, then drilling it bigger and trying an easyout, then drilling it right out and re-tapping if necessary.

• Like 1

Torx is a great idea, I would soak the bolt in some penetrating oil and maybe use a little heat, if it stripped out from the correct wrench its going to need a little help, but you never know, previous owner might have used SAE instead oof metric and it didn't fit the bolt right.

If it comes to needing drilling for an  "easy  out" use a  left twist drill.  Often the bit  will spin the  bolt out when it bites into it. As mentioned before ,  use some heat on it and  let it cool before using penetrating oil.  The heat would kill  the locktite  if it was used, and by letting it cool  before  using penetrating oil, you won't end up  hardening it so a drill bit won't bite.

Good one..  I've got a set of builder's screwdriver bits in my toolbox. It has torx, allen, philips, flat, and square.. They are expendable and handy for bashing into rounded allens.. The slightly tapered squares are quite good in drilled out bolts.