Quantcast

Looking to buy a new SUV

Go to solution Solved by Gwbarm,

On 4/5/2024 at 6:11 PM, Gwbarm said:

I know what you mean i was just getting used to the bells and whistles on the 11 year old one and now i have one that beeps when i take my eyes off the road and turns off the car at a red light along with helping me steer and stop, all these safety features are going to cause me to wreck just trying to figure out what the car is trying to do.

To be honest I don't understand the trouble people have with auto start stop. Maybe the VW and Stellantis versions are just better, but the start stop on a previous Jetta and my current Taos is excellent. It starts fast and smooth, and is quick to restart with just a hint of steering input, or just slightly raising pressure on the brake pedal without fully removing it.  The fam's 22 Grand Cherokee L V6 is similar, I have no complaints with either. The only ESS I remember not liking was a rental Ford Escape from like 2016, it would shut off power steering when stopped. If that is the case, then I can see how people get annoyed. But in general once you figure out how your specific ESS system works it's a breeze and you don't even have to think about it.  I do personally disable lane keep assist though in 99% of cases, don't like it.

I think you made a god decision on the outback, though personally I'd have looked at the Tiguan/Atlas, those have real 8 speed Aisin transmissions still, though Subaru has made big strides with their newer chain-based CVTs. Just remember to change the fluid regularly. Most CVT failures are because people never change the fluid, and they do NOT tolerate poor maintenance, at all.

I have been very impressed with it so far, handles really well, plenty of power on the base engine, i was a little concerned about that from reviews, still getting used to the sounds of the boxer engine or maybe its the 4 cylinder, never owned a 4, most of mine are V8 and the V6 in the jeep.

I mainly got it for my wife she drives about 75 miles a day and we thought the extra gas milege would be a plus.

She picked one out at the dealer and i talked him into letting her test drive it by herself, nervous with other people in the car, so he kept me for collateral, she took it on a 20 mile test drive, got back and said i like it this will work, shes more critical than i am, First car iv ever bought that i didnt drive. 

Just read your post #31, i did like the Atlas, Tiguan not so much, i would have looked at it closer but my wife wasnt interested in VW. I could have swayed her into it , but i was not that interested in a 4 cylinder in a vehicle that large, but they are all going in that direction, as far as the turbo charger, i dont think they are as durable as a NA engine, may be wrong. i didnt really want that The start stop feature on the outback seems to work good, im just not used to it, i can see how it would come in handy on bumper to bumper traffic in large citys. Im kind of old school i drive 20 yr old cars and i think they are fancy, all i need is a steering wheel and a shift lever and im good to go.