Bandit

LT80 problems

I have been working on this quad for a buddy. When he brought it over it didnt run. Well removed the carb and cleaned well...then changed the o-rings and changed the spark plug. After all that i put it back together and hit the starter. It started up after cranking a while and ran for about 5 min. and then bogged and died. And wouldnt restart.I cranked for a while and it kinda speeds up like it gonna start but just wont. I let it set for awhile and bam it started agian..and then the same thing, after about 5 min. of running it just boggs and dies.

I did a compression check and got 125, so im ok there.

But i did notice a lot of oil on top of head. I cleaned it off and when i ran it till it died i noticed that all that oil was back. Could i have a blown head gasket?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

IF you did a Compression Check and Got 125 then you dont have a Blown Gasket...It would have leaked Down...Im not Familiar with the Quads....But does it have a Vented Gas Cap???? Have you tried to run it without the Cap on??? What happens is Pressure builds up and Stops the Fuel from Flowing.....is the LT80 2 Stroke???

yes its a 2-stroke, and the gas cap might be a good idea cause the fuel petcock is ran from the vacuum of the carb. But i still dont know where all the oil is comming from.

Where Exactly is the Oil Spewing from????? At the Pipe.....????? What mix does that little Guy take??? Leaner the Meaner:cool: Is it Oil injected???? If so,,,,GET RID OF THAT SYSTEM!!!! I never Trusted those....:mad:

Going to fix this weekend...It has a bad crankshaft seal. The oil is comming from behind the flywheel.

I had a problem with my sons LT80 similar to this I had to hit the starter to work with a hammer, but I bought a new solenoid and starter from RareElectrical.com Alternators ATV Starters Chrome Units Generators Inboard Starters Jet Ski Starters Lawn Garden Mini. Was really really good price and fast shipping.

does it run ok now? Wish I would have read this sooner, cause I was going to say you had a crankcase leak, but as I read on I saw that you already had figured it out.