Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

tabithakentucky

Will a 2005 400EX engine work on my 2002 400EX frame?

I am in desperate need of an engine, i found a 2005 400EX engine with reverse,

I was wondering if it would fit on my 2002 400EX frame, and the wirng and everything hook up, without modifying anything,

All help is appreciated, thanks

I believe it would be the same, I have a 2000 model which is the same as the '02s and I have been looking for an 05 or newer motor/bottem end to put in mine so I have reverse.

Stoopidbot would definitely know for sure I bet...he'll probably check in here tomorrow. :)

I'm going to say that you may have to do some very minor modifications. I'm sure the engine would fit fine as far as mounts, I'm not sure if all the wiring coneectors will be the same. Just curious, how do you put a 400EX in reverse? Is it with the shift lever or is it on the bars? I've never been on a 400 w/ reverse.

i think you have to pull a trigger like mechanism under the right side of the fuel tank,

but if worst came to worst, I guess I could forget reverse and remove the cable, I could also buy a 2005 wiring harness, what are your thoughts?

thanks, kevin t.

That sounds like something that would be easy to rig up a mount for. I was just going to say that if it was on the bars you would also have to get a new perch setup. I personally think it would be a fairly easy conversion. I do not know of any changes in the frame between the 2 years.

to put it in reverse you have to be in 1st gear, pull in the clutch, twist the knob on the right side of the front fender and push down on the shifter below first gear...

does that help?

to put it in reverse you have to be in 1st gear, pull in the clutch, twist the knob on the right side of the front fender and push down on the shifter below first gear...

does that help?

Thats correct. It shouldn't be too hard to mount the knob assy on an older style fender.

I have a 2002 motor for a TRX400Ex , need a motor for my 2005 TRX400EX the bolt locations are different between 01 -04 to 05-09 .. Do you want to trade? 

Edited by luckster
spelling

13 hours ago, luckster said:

I have a 2002 motor for a TRX400Ex , need a motor for my 2005 TRX400EX the bolt locations are different between 01 -04 to 05-09 .. Do you want to trade? 

hi luckster, this thread is pretty old. I don't know if these members are still around, its from 2008. I would start a new thread. :D

On 10/12/2016 at 5:29 AM, luckster said:

Are you interested in selling it?