Quantcast

Which year of the YFZ450 is better to you?

Speed_Demond

If u don't change the rings every 30 hours which is a season of riding u loose power I bet my newly ringed o4 will smoke that wore out yfz I bet he is running on half the power it should be. I would like to hook up a compression gage and see what it reads. Bet it says wore out! I would like every one to go get the facts so u quit giving out false info to people.And that's no bs.Yfz central is a good site but they are not engine builders like the people that I know we have seen a lot of yfz and I will bet that we have gained more info than some kid who goes to yfz central and asked a ? about yfz's. We know how many hours to put on a pistion because we have tore down a yfz at 30 hours and we have tore down a yfz with 60 hours the wear is bad real bad usually bad enough u need to have the jug recromed that means more money than just putting rings on it or do u like to spend money that u don't need to.At 30 hours u put new rings on the piston and put the jug back on unless u do alot of miss shifting then u have to replace the pistion to so remember every time u miss a gear it scares the pistion and cylinder wall.Also yamaha has just released some info on the yfz that I know u guys do not have yet U ARE TO RUN A QUART AND A HALF OF OIL instead of two quarts. And on the yfz CHANGE THE OIL EVERY TIME U GET DONE RIDING IT SOUNDS CRAZY WELL IT'S NOT. This info is coming straight from JSR Performance motor builder. It is making the motors last a little longer since u change the oil every ride no reason to buy high $ oil motor builders say to run castrol gtx.

To break in a yfz motor u only need to seet the pistion rings this takes a couple of hours of riding remember this motor is not a quad motors it is a race engine.And u have to treat it like one.When u get a brand new yfz I bet half of u broke it in wrong u ride it like u stole it to break it in then shut it down and cool it all the way down then do it agin. I wan't every one of u to keep a stop watch with u when u go ride and log the time u are actually running the motor 20 hours is alot of riding and be honest with me when u report back I bet 20 hours is all most all season.I would not be saying this if it was not true I'll be laughing here in a year or two when your motors start to fail because u don't do the proper mantance on the yfz.

I didn't even know you could buy gas in zimbabwe.

We were talking about replacing the piston every 20 hours, not the rings every 30. And if you are a YFZ expert, you know a compression test will not be very accurate. Obviously if you change the oil after every ride you will prevent some miniscule wear, but you will also get a longer life out of a machine if you rebuild it after every ride...both of which are not plausible or in any way necessary.

Anyway, your 04 probably did need replaced after 30 hours if you didn't do any kind of oil modification, but I'm sure you have another theory about that.

I guarantee you will not smoke me, and that's no BS, quit giving out false information.

Check stuff like Craigslist or yfzcentral's 'for sale, complete quads' section. With the economy in shambles, a lot of people have no choice but to dump off their quad. The yfz site has a lot that people get rid of each year, or when they get picked up by sponsors and don't have to buy anything themselves (lucky b@stards!).

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you make out man.

• 5 months later...