Quantcast

General Question

I have been riding ATV's for years, but mostly for hunting and general utility and stuff like that . Last summer I went on a mudride at one of these places that holds these all weekend things, and I am hooked! I want to be more informed on how things work, and just learn in general the dos and donts of mudding. some of these may sound a bit silly, but here goes:

1. How does a snorkel work?

2. If I stall with my pipe underwater, is that going to kill my ATV?

3. Will it stall if the pipe is underwater with a snorkel?

Any information is greatly appreciated. . . . I am crazy about this, but even more crazy about making sure I dont have to fix my quad when I could have prevented it.

I have been riding ATV's for years, but mostly for hunting and general utility and stuff like that . Last summer I went on a mudride at one of these places that holds these all weekend things, and I am hooked! I want to be more informed on how things work, and just learn in general the dos and donts of mudding. some of these may sound a bit silly, but here goes:

1. How does a snorkel work?

2. If I stall with my pipe underwater, is that going to kill my ATV?

3. Will it stall if the pipe is underwater with a snorkel?

Any information is greatly appreciated. . . . I am crazy about this, but even more crazy about making sure I dont have to fix my quad when I could have prevented it.

1.A snorkel works by sealing the air box completely so no water can get into the box. You then add air tubes that sit well above the handle bars. The point of this is you are sucking in air from up above the hand controls. The purpose of that is to allow your quad to go into deeper stuff without sucking air into the motor.

2.No you will not kill the motor from the exhaust going under water.

3.It shouldn't stall from it either, as long as your snorkels are getting the fresh air needed. The exhaust will be like a straw in chocolate milk!

well ill help with what i can a snorkel is an extention of you air intake witch will let you run in deeper water completely under water as long as all you electrical connections are sealed most are i always put silicon on all my connections anyway and yes it will run with the pipe under water but as for it stalling under water im not sure i would definitely let the bike float up some so the exhaust is out of the water before cranking it over but im sure someone else will jumb in and help me out with that answer you dont realy have to worry about destroying you engine i mean if you did get a lot of water in it you would have to get it all out before running it obviously (change oil,ext.)

i ride mostly sport bikes (non 4x4) but i have had them under water for short periods many times and never had any problems besides with electrical connections thats why i started using silicon on my connections

anyway im sure will get some better answers from some other members ther are a lot of knowlagble people on this site

Wecome to Quad Crazy this is a great site !!!!!!

well stoopidbot1 jumped in front of me wHile i was typing so know my reply sounds silly haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Havok

Thanks, I appreciate all of the answers, this will really help me out a lot. when my exhaust would go under water before I would just stay on the gas for fear that if i let off it would stall out the motor and get water into my engine. Wasn't sure how the snorkel worked, and couldnt find snorkels for dummies anywhere on the internet.

wat kinda atv do u have?? ur prob gunna have to make ur own snorkel and u can build it with normal pvc pipe or pool hose and make sure ur sealed water tight with plumbers glue.. wen and if u do snorkel u have to jet ur atv's carburetor because the fresh air is being forced into ur airfilter and u have to adjust it so the gas and air flow has not to much of one and not to little of the other causing ur to loose power and bog down

even if ur atv is under water the fact that the engine is running will keep the water out of the exhaust no matter if u have ur thumb off the gas if u are worried about water going into u exhaut build a pipe that attaches to ur exhaust in fact hmf makes one if u want to buy it.. thats one problem the other is ur clutch snorkels the one that come with ur atv stock if u were to get water in those it will get into ur belt housing and cause ur belt to slip which would lead to u burning up ur belt

if u do sink it in the water wen u take it out of the water ur going to have to change ur oil... i have heard from a lot of ppl that u take out ur spark plug and pour a little diesel fuel down it and just crank it with out the spark plug in and it will take out the water... or another remedy is just pouring some oil down it and just keep pouring it until u get oil without water in it

DI-ELECTRIC all ur connections and spark plug it will keep everything a-ok and water wont be a problem

Edited by outlander560

I have a 2007 king quad. . . it is fuel injected. I had it snorkeled this week by a guy who does it for a lot of guys locally, he has a good reputation so I looked at some of his work and decided to do it. I had it in the mud as you can see from my profile pic and I am happy with the work he did for me. I mainly just wanted to get a good understanding of how it works that way I will know if something breaks, or how to do the riding when the mud gets thick or deep.

so far just the wheels, snorkel, and pipe. im savin up for the swamp series HMF, and a power commander. that will be my next purchase. I actually have an HMF on it right now that is too loud for my taste, I am trying to find someone who wants to trade it for a stock pipe. I got rid of mine like an idiot when I got the HMF.