Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joet82

Holeshots don't hold air

I lowered my tires on my quad at Pismo for better traction, and ever since then, my tires haven't been able to hold the air......Y? It holds them, but has a slow leak.

You may have folded the tire and got a pinch which led to a small hole or your bead is not set all the way. Is it both tires or just one?

You may have folded the tire and got a pinch which led to a small hole or your bead is not set all the way. Is it both tires or just one?

It's all 4 tires, but they all leak at different levels....

if it is the bead, or even if it isn't, how can I reset them?

I wonder if while you were riding some beads of sand got caught between the rim and the tire leaving a tiny gap for the air to leak.

Take them off of the quad and put about 7-10psi and then hold them underwater. To reset the bead you might need to get the tires completely free of the bead and then clean the bead and reset with a bunch of air pressure. I recommend having it done. It is not fun to try to do them in the garage.

I think Stupidbots idea is right, my riding buddy had an issue with one of his tires leaking air slowly. after fighting with it with slime and such for awhile. He had it taken off of the rim and there was a tiny piece of a stick trapped in the bead that was causing the leak. You couldn't see it while the tire was mounted and afterward he no longer had the issue.

I wonder if while you were riding some beads of sand got caught between the rim and the tire leaving a tiny gap for the air to leak.

Take them off of the quad and put about 7-10psi and then hold them underwater. To reset the bead you might need to get the tires completely free of the bead and then clean the bead and reset with a bunch of air pressure. I recommend having it done. It is not fun to try to do them in the garage.

That sounds like it could be the problem. Maybe also use some beadsealer. You could always just grab a spray bottle of water and spray the area to see if you see any leaks.

thnx guys, I'll give these a try, but sadly it may have to wait till August/September, after my deployment.