Quantcast

K&N filter

Hey fellas, Great site you have here, im happy to be a part of it

im fairly new to the ATV culture and i have a question about a new filter i would like to get on my Grizzly.

Im lookin at gettin the K&N filter for my ride because the stock one, well.... sucks.

But i was told that a filter like that will get wet and allow moisture into my engine. i dont really get into much water as i live in the desert. but it does snow in the winter and i plan on tearin it up when the snow is here.

I trust the person who told me that the filter would get wet and soggy and fall apart?

arnt K&N filters cloth?

thanks for the info.

EDIT: if the K&N isnt the way to go, do any of you know another route? somthing better than the stock foam filter

Edited by HardcoreSlot

i have never heard that about k&n filters and i doubt that will ever happen just clean it wen it needs to be clean and oil it and you will not get any water or condensation on or around the filter or the housing.. i have however heard the way the filter is designed allows for dust to go through. that is true but if u buy a pre-filter which i have done it stops that issue from ever happening... personally i think k&n is a great filter and it did give me some noticeable power, if u r iffy about k&n still try looking into uni-filters they are great air filters and i heard all positive things from them to

Thanks for the info.

here is another question, i know the Grizzly 550 is built off the 700. Pretty much teh same bike just smalller engine. so are teh filters the same? i looked a the uni-filters you mentioned, they dont list one for the 550 but they list the 700 for 09'. seems to me that they would be interchangable but IDK.

thanks again!

Matt (HCS)

well i would like to say that they are interchangeable but i am not 100% sure.. u r right that they are the exact everything but the engines are a different size i dont know if the filter needs to be larger for the 700 because of it being a bigger engine in all and needing more air but i really dont know... ur best bet would be talking to ur dealer or calling yamaha... is the filter flat or is it a circle?

K&N YA-7007 $69.95 - Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Here is what it looks like. Its a pretty unique shape and the filter box fits in just so. so if the bodys on the 550 and 700 are the same i would think it would work.

I can call my dealer in the morning and ask, its just that they are pretty hungry these days and every question i have seems like they interject that they can order it, or i can buy one there for $XX, instead of just answering my question...

man i just cant seem to keep my head in one place.... lol

another Q... will this adversly affect my air fuel mixture?

yea i hear ya i get the same thing from my "old dealer" give the uni company a call they can be more help to you than any dealer out there.. for the air fuel mixture no you wont have a problem at all ur atv is equipped with efi Electronic Fuel Injection instead of your traditional carburetor the ones with the choke and all the fun crap.. so with the efi it moderates the fuel and air mixture so that it is the right amount of fuel every time it feeds it to the engine so theirs is no need to mess with anything just put the filter in and go

Edited by outlander560

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By kiriyaaoi
      Hello everyone, I just picked up an 02 LT-F250F the other day and have been in the process of tearing it down to fix some stuff- one of which was the cylinder base gasket leaking like a sieve. Well, I know why that is now, and I also discovered that someone had been in there before. I didn't take pictures, but it looks like it was probably run low on oil at some point, the cam journals and the "bearings" (for lack of a better term) in the head and the valve cover are totally wiped out, very deep grooves.  From what I know it's very difficult to repair aluminum in this way, so I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

1. Have someone grind down the head and valve cover and fit actual bearings in since the aluminum is screwed, and have the cam ground down to match.  I have no idea what this would cost.
      2. Buy a replacement head+cam+valve cover.

#1 I was hoping someone might have some advice on, but #2 seems like it'll (probably) be the more cost effective option.  However I'm running into some difficulty, it seems like the 2001 and 2002 models specifically use a different head part number,  11100-19B10, instead of  11100-19B01 like for all earlier models.  What exactly is the difference between them? There are obviously far more of the earlier heads because it ran for over 10 years.  Are they actually interchangeable? I've also noticed there are heads from the LT250EF that has 4 valve heads but also otherwise look identical.  Would those work as well possibly?  I'd like to not have to drop $500 on machine work or new heads on a $1300 quad that I'm already putting a bunch of new parts on.  Oh, and it has a new piston and the cylinder itself looks pretty good too, as I said someone was in here before me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

• By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot: